Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: valve adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
level914
Just needed to tell someone that I did my very first valve adjustrment. My wife isn't very impressed but she doesn't know what was involved.

Following a threrad from a couple days ago I set them all to .005. I have a 76 2.0. If any body knows of a problem with this please let me know.

I know most of you probably do these adjustments all of the time, so it's no big deal. I'm just feeling super proud of myself and had to share it.

Anyway, I triple checked my work and no leaks through the new gaskets.

O.k. my harm hurts from patting myself on the back now. Although not as bad as my hands hurt from all of the new cuts and gashes from the adjustment.

Now on to the timing. I think she's pretty close now. Any tricks or advice on the timing would be appreciated.
Thanks.
TheCabinetmaker
congrats. way to go. smilie_pokal.gif I just reset mine to .005 yesterday. Quite a difference from.008
TheCabinetmaker
btw, I'm a woosie, so I remove the wheel from the side I'm adjusting. Lots easier to get to the heads.
nebreitling
way to go!

re. timing, it's quite simple (much simpler than valves). there's an article @ pelican for it. the only thing i would add is to repaint your timing marks -- make the mark big and bright and visible such that you don't have to lean over the engine too much. and don't forget to disconnect and plug the vacuum hose(s).

i always stand on the drivers side with my arms semi-crossed; timing light in right hand, throttle cable in left, tach sitting on the air box. check the timing at 3500, adjust distributor, check the timing at 3500, adjust, etc. etc.

n
redshift
If you roll out the idle adjust, and open the AAR out hose, can you get 3500 rpm?

smile.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.