Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> water, water everywhere
TheCabinetmaker
post May 29 2008, 11:18 AM
Post #1

I drive my car everyday

Group: Members
Member No.: 666

I woke up Tuesday morning to 15" of water in my studio apartment/shop. The street in front of building (where my other driver was parked) had about 4' of swift running water. My rain gauge said we got 9" of rain in 3 hours. My red daily driver was in the shop. The water was at the top of the seat cushions inside. I raised the front of the car about three foot in the air, and several gallons of water ran out of the heater tubes. I got all the interior out, and it seems to be drying out in the sun. I lost all my office and apartment furniture. even my bed. The water went away as quickly as it came, but the damage had been done and was devastaing. Kermit, the car that was outside, was almost completely under water. I've written it off as a probable total loss.

The big Q. What do you guys recommend I do to the red car to minimize future rust? The water did not get to the dash, motor, lights, etc. I let it run and idle for a couple of hours with the heater full blast (my heater works very good by the way) in an effort to dry it out some.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I know, I know, "this thread is worthless without pics". It was very tramatic at the time ( what the hell, I'm still in total shock) and I was way to busy trying to save stuff to worry about pics.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post May 29 2008, 11:20 AM
Post #2

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Attached Image
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post May 29 2008, 11:45 AM
Post #3

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

Wow, sorry to hear that. There are some drain holes in the bottom of the longitudinal, but they are frequently clogged. You could drill a couple 3/8" iholes n the bottom of the long to make sure they drained.

Also make sure the jack points drained. There are drain holes at the bottom, but they are also frequently clogged. If everything is in good shape you can use a small screwdriver to open up the drains.

The longs are probably going to hold quite a bit of water even with some drains in place. You could rig up a fan setup to blow air through the longs to help dry it out more quickly. A warm hairdryer blowing into the heater tube and another blowing into the long itself would be a good start.
+Quote Post
Zundfolge
post May 29 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,994
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Other than parking the car in the sun with some fans under it to dry everything, I have no idea how dry it to avoid rust.

However, you may want to repack all the wheel bearings since they were under water. And make sure your CV Joints are sealed up.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:57 PM