Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: water, water everywhere
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
I woke up Tuesday morning to 15" of water in my studio apartment/shop. The street in front of building (where my other driver was parked) had about 4' of swift running water. My rain gauge said we got 9" of rain in 3 hours. My red daily driver was in the shop. The water was at the top of the seat cushions inside. I raised the front of the car about three foot in the air, and several gallons of water ran out of the heater tubes. I got all the interior out, and it seems to be drying out in the sun. I lost all my office and apartment furniture. even my bed. The water went away as quickly as it came, but the damage had been done and was devastaing. Kermit, the car that was outside, was almost completely under water. I've written it off as a probable total loss.

The big Q. What do you guys recommend I do to the red car to minimize future rust? The water did not get to the dash, motor, lights, etc. I let it run and idle for a couple of hours with the heater full blast (my heater works very good by the way) in an effort to dry it out some.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I know, I know, "this thread is worthless without pics". It was very tramatic at the time ( what the hell, I'm still in total shock) and I was way to busy trying to save stuff to worry about pics.
TheCabinetmaker
Click to view attachment
LvSteveH
Wow, sorry to hear that. There are some drain holes in the bottom of the longitudinal, but they are frequently clogged. You could drill a couple 3/8" iholes n the bottom of the long to make sure they drained.

Also make sure the jack points drained. There are drain holes at the bottom, but they are also frequently clogged. If everything is in good shape you can use a small screwdriver to open up the drains.

The longs are probably going to hold quite a bit of water even with some drains in place. You could rig up a fan setup to blow air through the longs to help dry it out more quickly. A warm hairdryer blowing into the heater tube and another blowing into the long itself would be a good start.
Zundfolge
Other than parking the car in the sun with some fans under it to dry everything, I have no idea how dry it to avoid rust.

However, you may want to repack all the wheel bearings since they were under water. And make sure your CV Joints are sealed up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.