Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Issues with 4th Gear
vesnyder
post Jun 1 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,933

Checked my linkage and that did not seem to be the problem. It works sometimes, but most of the time it just goes into neutral or makes some grinding noise and does not engage. Last night I kept trying and the gear shift locked before I was able to force it back into neutral. Is there anything in the tranny that may cause this? One stange thing that happened in my tunnel is the clutch cable sleeve anchor point welds broke and it seemed to be interfering with the shift linkage??

HELP
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 5)
Dr Evil
post Jun 2 2008, 01:01 AM
Post #2

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

There are parts inside that can cause this, but I would suspect interference from your clutch tube may be the issue. If this is allowed to go for a while it will cause premature wear to the parts inside the gear box.
+Quote Post
vesnyder
post Jun 2 2008, 08:27 PM
Post #3

Need to know what else I shoudl check? I went through and fixed the clucth cable tube and then re-adjusted the shifter and then drove and I thought I had it, but after about 20 shifts it started again. It goes into gear about 50% of the time and when it doesn't it either just goes into neutral or it gives this grinding noise when I release the clutch? I've checked the entire linkage - from shifter to tranny and nothing seems to fix it? Driving w/o 4th gear is getting to be a PIA!

HELP!
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 2 2008, 08:42 PM
Post #4

I am sorry to say, but it is likely that your slider for 4th has been ruined due to the cable tube mis adjustment. You can keep adjusting it, but it will likely need replacement (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

If I can help you, let me know.
+Quote Post
vesnyder
post Jun 2 2008, 09:14 PM
Post #5

Slider replacement - that does not sound like fun! Luckily I have a spare tranny that I think is good? WOuld love your help - I will do a search but what is the first step?
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 2 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #6

You are not too bad off. 1) pull the stack, 2) remove the 5th gear and the slider; unbend washer, remove the nut, washer, bearing, thrust washer, gear and slider. Replace and reassemble.

If you want to send me the stack I can do this for low $ including parts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 05:30 PM