Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Issues with 4th Gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Checked my linkage and that did not seem to be the problem. It works sometimes, but most of the time it just goes into neutral or makes some grinding noise and does not engage. Last night I kept trying and the gear shift locked before I was able to force it back into neutral. Is there anything in the tranny that may cause this? One stange thing that happened in my tunnel is the clutch cable sleeve anchor point welds broke and it seemed to be interfering with the shift linkage??

HELP
Dr Evil
There are parts inside that can cause this, but I would suspect interference from your clutch tube may be the issue. If this is allowed to go for a while it will cause premature wear to the parts inside the gear box.
vesnyder
Need to know what else I shoudl check? I went through and fixed the clucth cable tube and then re-adjusted the shifter and then drove and I thought I had it, but after about 20 shifts it started again. It goes into gear about 50% of the time and when it doesn't it either just goes into neutral or it gives this grinding noise when I release the clutch? I've checked the entire linkage - from shifter to tranny and nothing seems to fix it? Driving w/o 4th gear is getting to be a PIA!

HELP!
Dr Evil
I am sorry to say, but it is likely that your slider for 4th has been ruined due to the cable tube mis adjustment. You can keep adjusting it, but it will likely need replacement sad.gif

If I can help you, let me know.
vesnyder
Slider replacement - that does not sound like fun! Luckily I have a spare tranny that I think is good? WOuld love your help - I will do a search but what is the first step?
Dr Evil
You are not too bad off. 1) pull the stack, 2) remove the 5th gear and the slider; unbend washer, remove the nut, washer, bearing, thrust washer, gear and slider. Replace and reassemble.

If you want to send me the stack I can do this for low $ including parts wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.