Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> MPG (again), lets talk theory...
SGB
post Jun 6 2008, 10:38 AM
Post #1

just visiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

Here are a couple of points I have wondered about that will be significant in the MPG contest.
1. I've got carbs. If I stay in gear as I release my foot from the gas pedal, does it pull more gas through the jets than at idle? I'm thinking yes, but...
2. Does it make more sense to slowly accelerate to traffic speed, or give it more throttle for a shorter period? My guess is that a lighter vehicle might benefit more from going to cruising mode as quickly as possible. I'm thinking that there must be a balance somewhere between mass and rate of speed increase and WOT consumption vs. cruising consumption.

Anybody wanna speculate?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 22)
6freak
post Jun 7 2008, 12:41 PM
Post #21

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 6 2008, 12:59 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 6 2008, 12:18 PM) *

[maybe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ..I just remember haveing to open the butterflys to see if fuel was being dumped ??i look around and see what i find anyway if your off the accelerater pump your not useing fuel except to idle wouldnt that be on the idle jets .hell maybe im all f`d up.but if it did it like you say the motor would never make it to an idle because it just keeps dump`n gas in to itself?.so just to set it strait FI is better but i have carbs so its a must to rib you fellas with FI (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) .......ps i love sleep`n outside (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

When you opened the butterflys to see fuel squirt, you saw: 1.) the accelerator pump shooting gas thru the spray bar ... ask yourself why would this happen. 2.) You would have also seen the transition ports or main jets dumping fuel becuase the venturi created a lo pressure area (otherwise kinda known as a partial vacuum) to suck fuel outta the ports.

If the engine is off ... there is no vacuum created ... nuthin's suckin'. Once you start turning the engine over (at starter rotational speed), there are valves opening and closing and pistons moving back and forth creating suction trying to fill the cylinder with air. The idle port is below the closed butterfly and this wonderous suction is SUCKING fuel from the idle circuit port. If it didn't you wouldn't have the bang that make shit go.

When traveling at a high rate of tilt and closing the throttle, the ports above the butterfly kinda cease to flow fuel 'cause their ain't no vacuum or lo pressure area. The port below the butterfly will see very high vacuum and yes, fuel will come out of the idle port, but it's small so you don't get gallons ... you get thimble fulls. As the engine speed bleeds off, so does the amount of vacuum and fuel returns to the normal idle rate of flow.

Lastly, when you turn the key off, there is nothing to make the gas go bang and keep the engine spinning (unless you have carbon buildup that's glowing red which causes the engine to "diesel").

Return Grasshopper to an entity called a Library ... you know the place while you were in school to go meet your GF de' jour instead of studying ... get books and READ.

After you have read sufficient material, you will come to understand the forces in nature that make your car run. Then and only then can you come back here and put forth really inane theories that can be shot down with a spit wad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Well i must seem like a dumb ass to you but im not.Im just not conveying my thoughts very well.I know how it all works! if your costing with the motor off of course your not useing fuel like you would with the motor running.So i`m going to throw in the towel here because this could go on until I run out of fuel.Thanks for your input.P.s i will read up on this
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Jun 7 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #22

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Back in 1974-1975 when we were having the last fuel crisis, I got to look at a car that a guy from the Ford GT racing team made. He made a 60+ MPG Mustang that he let a lot of the press tear up and down the highway for days at a time to verify the cars high mileage......

What did he do?

First, he trashed the gasoline engine for a diesel. Diesels are more fuel efficient.

Second, he put some fairings on the front and a few other aero tricks to try to reduce the drag coefficient... (he used a wind tunnel)

Third, the diesel was rigged to produce max torque at 2500 rpm

Fourth, he put a rev limiter on the diesel so that the RPM's remained ideally between 1000-3000rpm. Less revs, less injections of fuel, better MPG's......

Fifth, he put in a 6 speed tranny to accomodate the low rpm shift points.......

And lastly, high pressure tires....

Yup. The car got 60's flogging it. Not a rocket in a straight line, but it did get great mileage. The mileage was verified by some of the Saturn rocket scientists that I knew back then...

Ken
+Quote Post
SGB
post Jun 7 2008, 06:34 PM
Post #23

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

Well, I run pretty high tire pressures already.
I've got these nifty pod shaped "aero" splitters- from the factory!
My car sounds like a diesel.
I get max torque at about 2500 rpm.
It takes at least 6 tries to find 5 gears.

I'm gonna win!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 07:48 PM