Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mintex Brake Pads - A warning, Rear pads
VaccaRabite
post Jun 6 2008, 07:36 PM
Post #1

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

They don't even remotely fit.

I bought two sets, and checked them both. Neither set (both marked "Rear Brake Pad Set, 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 1970-1976") fit my new Eric Shea calipers.

They did not fit my current 914 calipers either.

Back to PP they go.

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Jun 6 2008, 08:11 PM
Post #2

One Lap of America in a 914!

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 6 2008, 09:36 PM) *

I bought two sets, and checked them both. Neither set (both marked "Rear Brake Pad Set, 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 1970-1976") fit my new Eric Shea calipers.

Hmm, what about them didn't fit? I just installed a set of Mintex on my rears and all they required was a little filing on the outside edges and drilling of the one hole to match the larger caliper pin.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 6 2008, 08:38 PM
Post #3

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jun 6 2008, 07:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 6 2008, 09:36 PM) *

Hmm, what about them didn't fit? I just installed a set of Mintex on my rears and all they required was a little filing on the outside edges and drilling of the one hole to match the larger caliper pin.

So yours didn't fit either.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jun 6 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #4

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You should not have to drill new holes in brake pads in order to get them to work. I'm cool with modifying lots of things, but I really don't think its a good idea to be modifying the pads that stop your car. For all I know, drilling that ear could cause it to overheat and fail. At best, that would lead to dragging pads.

Zach
+Quote Post
John
post Jun 6 2008, 09:59 PM
Post #5

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

That is one of those typical things on cheap pads. The backing plates are poorly punched and the crappy black coating that they have globbed on them keep them from easily fitting into the calipers.

I use a flap disc to clean up both sides of the backing plates (just enough to make them fit into the caliper). I never have to do more than a basic clean up.

Drilling one of the holes to fit the one large pin on 914-rear calipers is typical as well. Those same pads are used in more than just 914 rear calipers and most don't have the one larger pin.

I never had an overheating problem with a stock car using stock rear calipers and cleaned up rear pads.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 6 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #6

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

They're WAY cheap pads. I don't use them. Not because of the holes... just because they're junk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

They are for early 911 rears. That's why they're not drilled out.

I love the new PBR ceramics but, they don't come in the 914 106 configuration either so... I take the 102's and drill them for the customers on my press before I send them out. I've ordered all of the 914 pad sizes. When these come in I'm going to announce it as they're my new favorite pad.

You can drill those if you want to save time. The problem is, a standard bit isn't going to do a complete job. Use a 5/16 and you'll be close to the 8mm you need. Then use a rat tail to clean them up. Test fit with the large pin and then paint with some enamel.

-or-

Get PBR's 106R (they're drilled properly) for regular street driving. Good all around pad.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jun 6 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

For what it's worth, the Ferodos from 30 years ago also had to be drilled to fit. I think they just figured it was easy enough to do, so they used the early 911 pads.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jun 6 2008, 11:40 PM
Post #8

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

The difference between the 911 pads and the 914 pads is the hole, not the pad material. Cheap, not cheap, they're all that way. I've been drilling 'em and saving my customers big bux for 30 years. I'm surprised you can even buy 914 specific rear pads any more. If you can, they're probably NOS, and the old, outdated, old technology, crap linings. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 7 2008, 02:11 PM
Post #9

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110

I'm surprised you can even buy 914 specific rear pads any more. If you can, they're probably NOS, and the old, outdated, old technology, crap linings.

Agree - Disagree.

I'm surprised as well but; many of the manufacturers make them and they're in no way outdated, old, old technology and/or crap linings.

Again, the PBR Deluxe organics (Austrailian brake company) are "damn-nice" modern, all around street pads.

Their new "Ceramics" grab the rotor like no other $30-32.00 pad set I've ever experienced. I'm currently recommending these to all my customers and they are loaded in my personal S-Calipers and 914-6/GT calipers

Dave Sprinkle will probably have a set on his 914 this weekend and Harlen Lee should as well.

Zach, you should have ordered them from me and I would have loaded them in the calipers for you... $0.00 shipping. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 7 2008, 02:14 PM
Post #10

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20

I've drilled Porterfield pads for the rear also. That 914 stopped like it was hitting a wall.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 06:10 PM