Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mintex Brake Pads - A warning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
They don't even remotely fit.

I bought two sets, and checked them both. Neither set (both marked "Rear Brake Pad Set, 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 1970-1976") fit my new Eric Shea calipers.

They did not fit my current 914 calipers either.

Back to PP they go.

Zach
tomeric914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 6 2008, 09:36 PM) *

I bought two sets, and checked them both. Neither set (both marked "Rear Brake Pad Set, 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 1970-1976") fit my new Eric Shea calipers.

Hmm, what about them didn't fit? I just installed a set of Mintex on my rears and all they required was a little filing on the outside edges and drilling of the one hole to match the larger caliper pin.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jun 6 2008, 07:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 6 2008, 09:36 PM) *

Hmm, what about them didn't fit? I just installed a set of Mintex on my rears and all they required was a little filing on the outside edges and drilling of the one hole to match the larger caliper pin.

So yours didn't fit either.
VaccaRabite
You should not have to drill new holes in brake pads in order to get them to work. I'm cool with modifying lots of things, but I really don't think its a good idea to be modifying the pads that stop your car. For all I know, drilling that ear could cause it to overheat and fail. At best, that would lead to dragging pads.

Zach
John
That is one of those typical things on cheap pads. The backing plates are poorly punched and the crappy black coating that they have globbed on them keep them from easily fitting into the calipers.

I use a flap disc to clean up both sides of the backing plates (just enough to make them fit into the caliper). I never have to do more than a basic clean up.

Drilling one of the holes to fit the one large pin on 914-rear calipers is typical as well. Those same pads are used in more than just 914 rear calipers and most don't have the one larger pin.

I never had an overheating problem with a stock car using stock rear calipers and cleaned up rear pads.
Eric_Shea
They're WAY cheap pads. I don't use them. Not because of the holes... just because they're junk biggrin.gif

They are for early 911 rears. That's why they're not drilled out.

I love the new PBR ceramics but, they don't come in the 914 106 configuration either so... I take the 102's and drill them for the customers on my press before I send them out. I've ordered all of the 914 pad sizes. When these come in I'm going to announce it as they're my new favorite pad.

You can drill those if you want to save time. The problem is, a standard bit isn't going to do a complete job. Use a 5/16 and you'll be close to the 8mm you need. Then use a rat tail to clean them up. Test fit with the large pin and then paint with some enamel.

-or-

Get PBR's 106R (they're drilled properly) for regular street driving. Good all around pad.
GeorgeRud
For what it's worth, the Ferodos from 30 years ago also had to be drilled to fit. I think they just figured it was easy enough to do, so they used the early 911 pads.
Cap'n Krusty
The difference between the 911 pads and the 914 pads is the hole, not the pad material. Cheap, not cheap, they're all that way. I've been drilling 'em and saving my customers big bux for 30 years. I'm surprised you can even buy 914 specific rear pads any more. If you can, they're probably NOS, and the old, outdated, old technology, crap linings. The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
I'm surprised you can even buy 914 specific rear pads any more. If you can, they're probably NOS, and the old, outdated, old technology, crap linings.

Agree - Disagree.

I'm surprised as well but; many of the manufacturers make them and they're in no way outdated, old, old technology and/or crap linings.

Again, the PBR Deluxe organics (Austrailian brake company) are "damn-nice" modern, all around street pads.

Their new "Ceramics" grab the rotor like no other $30-32.00 pad set I've ever experienced. I'm currently recommending these to all my customers and they are loaded in my personal S-Calipers and 914-6/GT calipers

Dave Sprinkle will probably have a set on his 914 this weekend and Harlen Lee should as well.

Zach, you should have ordered them from me and I would have loaded them in the calipers for you... $0.00 shipping. wink.gif
Gint
I've drilled Porterfield pads for the rear also. That 914 stopped like it was hitting a wall.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.