Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear-ended on Friday in San Diego, can it be saved?
tango-52
post Jun 8 2008, 01:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,243
Region Association: Southern California

My oldest son (21) and my wife were driving back from taking the dogs (2 welsh terriers) to the dog park. Friday afternoon freeway traffic. Cars in front of them came to a sudden stop, with the car immediately in front of them actually veering into the emergency parking. My son stopped without hitting anyone. Then this teenager (had his license for two months) behind them locks up his brakes and plows into our '73 914. No one was seriously hurt, but my wife has been sore for a couple of days. The kid was driving a Dodge Strattos, and it didn't get much damage. On the Porsche, the rear trunk lid looks ok. The lower valence is smashed and rubbing on the right tire. The right fender is hitting the tire. The top of the left fender is rubbing the tire (it was a close fit before the accident). The brand new Bursch exhaust is smashed and I would bet the heat exchangers are tweeked. The interior of the trunk is crumpled and the rest of the back end is bent in. Apparently he was hard on his brakes and the nose submarined under our car. He even missed the tail lights. Here are some photos:
</a><a href="http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/tango-52/Porschedamage_0005.jpg" target="_blank">\"IPB
(IMG:http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/tango-52/th_Porschedamage_0002.jpg)
(IMG:http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/tango-52/th_Porschedamage_0001.jpg)
(IMG:http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/tango-52/th_Porschedamage_0004.jpg)
(IMG:http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/tango-52/th_Porschedamage_0006.jpg)
(IMG:http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/tango-52/th_Porschedamage_0007.jpg)
(IMG:http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/tango-52/th_Porschedamage_0008.jpg)
(IMG:http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/tango-52/th_Porschedamage_0009.jpg)
(IMG:http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/tango-52/th_Porschedamage_0010.jpg)
(IMG:http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/tango-52/th_Porschedamage_0011.jpg)
(IMG:http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/tango-52/th_Porschedamage_0012.jpg)
(IMG:http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/tango-52/th_Porschedamage_0013.jpg)
(IMG:http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/tango-52/th_Porschedamage_0014.jpg)

The question is, is this repairable? I know it is going to be a fight with the insurance company about the value and I read Dr. Evil's story so I am preparing for that. It just really pisses me off because I had just gotten it running great! The Bursch was really nice. Should I see this as an opportuinty for wide wheelwells and to replace the rusted trunk floor, or is this too much structural damage to save? I checked the gaps around both doors and there is no evidence that the damage went any further than the rear wheelwells. Any suggestions are appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jun 8 2008, 01:12 PM
Post #2

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

I've seen much worse damage on a car that was saved. It will depend on the repair estimate and the insurance company. Good luck!
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Jun 8 2008, 01:43 PM
Post #3

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

This fella with a green six, I think he was in San Diego. Just about the samething

happened to him. But your car looks cherry compaired to his. And it was fixed.

I would sudjest you find a bodyshop with 914 experience.
+Quote Post
tango-52
post Jun 8 2008, 02:01 PM
Post #4

That is great news. Thanks guys. I've been in a funk since it happened.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 8 2008, 03:23 PM
Post #5

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Definitely fixable. Hope you don't get too much of a runaround from the insurance companies.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 8 2008, 03:25 PM
Post #6

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

There's a good contingent of SD guys that can help. Mugs914, Twise, brer are all in that area and knowledgeable. Might want to edit your topic line to include an SD reference.

Good luck and do your homework.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 8 2008, 03:25 PM
Post #7

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jun 8 2008, 11:43 AM) *

I would sudjest you find a bodyshop with 914 experience.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

a good bodyshop will be able to pull this out ... you probably need a rear clip from a junk car. i replaced the rear clip on mine, wasn't too bad of a job.

but make SURE the car is pulled back correctly *before* you let them weld up anything. nothing worse than not fixing it right ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy

donor rear clip:

Attached Image

my old one removed:

Attached Image

new one welded in:

Attached Image

and painted:

Attached Image

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
sww914
post Jun 8 2008, 03:28 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

It's not as bad as it looks. I'm not saying that it won't be expensive, but it's not too difficult to fix. You'll need a new rear trunk floor and a new rear body panel, the R 1/4 panel can be repaired easily. A pre-pull on the rear body panel will fix most of what's wrong with the R 1/4 panel anyway.
Start gathering proof to fight the insurance company with. They'll try to value your car low and total it so you need to prove a high value so that they'll pay to repair it. Ask Dr Evil, you will need to be persistent, the insurance company will try to wear you down. Stay calm and play their game, you can come out of it OK. The insurance company will have to pay to paint part of the car, you might be able to pay the body shop not too much more to paint the rest of the car at the same time. They won't rip off the insurance company but there are many items that the insurance company will already be paying for that only need to be done once, like mix & match color, cover car for overspray, haz mat, etc, that you won't need to pay for as well. There's no need to discuss that with the insurance company.
+Quote Post
SGB
post Jun 8 2008, 03:52 PM
Post #9

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

Your opportunity for someone else to underwrite (some of) your new triad, flares, and paint.
+Quote Post
Wilhelm
post Jun 8 2008, 09:10 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,088

Be prepared to show them comparative pricing on similar 914's plus the money you've invested in your car because I can guarantee you they will say the price of the repairs exceed the value of the vehicle. They will then offer you $3500 for your loss but let you buy it back for $1000. Remember they think it is their money. Don't be nasty, be determined.
+Quote Post
tango-52
post Jun 13 2008, 02:17 PM
Post #11

Well, the insurance adjuster (Wausau insurance) just left. He didn't have any info on repairs specific to a 914, so he just used generic estimates. He said he was up to $4000 on repairs, but his paperwork had $5800 written on it. I made sure to give him copies of the NADA comparables for 1972 to 1974, all engine sizes. Then I gave him copies of my receipts ($4000+) that I have put on it in the last eight months, not including labor that I provided. He said they would get back to me Monday or Tuesday. These guys haven't been real fast on their response. They finally admitted that they will pay for a rental car TODAY, one week after the accident. He wanted to know if I had a repair shop in mind, and I didn't. Suggestions/recommendations for a good body shop for 914s in San Diego County? I'll also PM the previously mentioned San Diego members, thanks.
+Quote Post
tango-52
post Jun 17 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #12

My wife just got off the phone with the insurance company. They say that the repairs will cost $4000 and that is more than 80% of the value of the vehicle so they are going to total it!. My wife (no shrinking violet) told them that $4000 wasn't even close to 80% of the value, and that we had given them the NADA estimates to prove it. The lady said that someone else would call us in a couple of days, but basically, this was their offer, so be happy with it! I don't friggin' think so!
+Quote Post
kerensky
post Jun 17 2008, 04:58 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 5,508
Region Association: Southwest Region

I guess this is a wake-up call for owners of all vintage or modified cars, have an appraisal done and keep the data on hand and up to date.

BTW, you do have the right to get estimates on your own, you're not locked into their estimates.

Sorry to hear about your wounded 'teener. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
tango-52
post Jun 17 2008, 05:09 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(kerensky @ Jun 17 2008, 02:58 PM) *

I guess this is a wake-up call for owners of all vintage or modified cars, have an appraisal done and keep the data on hand and up to date.

BTW, you do have the right to get estimates on your own, you're not locked into their estimates.

Sorry to hear about your wounded 'teener. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Well, I'm not dealing with my insurance company. Somebody else hit our car, so it is up to their insurance to make it right. But yes, an independent appraisal prior to the accident would have been very handy. Will do that once it is fixed.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 18 2008, 09:00 AM
Post #15

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

latest market value from Excellence. also go back and look for recent sales reports. an informed appraisor could still give you a valuation of the vehicle prior to the wreck. the value post wreck means nothing.

k
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Jun 18 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 2,461

There's 2 shops in San Diego that I can recommend. The 1st is

West Coast Specialities (858) 549-8226
7686 Formula Pl, San Diego, CA

I've used them a couple of times, my 6 has been hit 3 times while it was parked!!!
Jerks driving with their head up their asses. Caught 2 of them, 1 got away.

Good work, good prices, also the main shop for Pioneer Porsche. Shop is up off of Miramar Rd, by the Marine Air Station.

The other shop is:

Philip Thearle's Autowerks Inc
8809 Mission Gorge Rd
Santee, CA 92071-3719

Top high end car body shop in San Diego. Repair torn up race cars, Porsche's, Lambo's, Aston Martins, Rolls, etc.

Doesn't even advertise, word of mouth. Excellent work, Concours quality, but you will pay for it. Took my RS America in to get a ding in drivers door fixed. They didn't want to fix ding, wanted to just replace door ($3500 for stripped door)
Took it to West Coast Specialties.

Shop is easy to miss. Take Mission Gorge off ramp from Route 52, lights call for left turn, don't make turn, go straight, takes you into Phil's parking lot.

Check for rear clip at Autobahn parts in El Cajon. Really nice guys, good prices

Autobahn
444 Vernon Way
El Cajon, CA 92020

Pic is off my 6 after the last as*** ran into it while parked. Took it to West Coast, saved door, perfect repair.

Good Luck,
Don

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jun 18 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #17

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

fix it! I have a rear clip right here. good luck w the ins pricks
+Quote Post
tango-52
post Jun 18 2008, 01:23 PM
Post #18

Thanks for the great support and responses. I definitely want to get it fixed, it is just a matter of negotiating with the insurance company and making sure I don't wind up with a Salvage Title.
+Quote Post
Twise
post Jun 20 2008, 01:47 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 6,881

Well thats what I thought would happen. Do you want me to generate an estimate for what it will cost to repair. Call me again - I am sorry but I misplaced your phone number. I got busy, but have been thinking about your car and your situation. I just pm'd you my contact info...
+Quote Post
tango-52
post Jun 20 2008, 02:10 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Twise @ Jun 20 2008, 11:47 AM) *

Well thats what I thought would happen. Do you want me to generate an estimate for what it will cost to repair. Call me again - I am sorry but I misplaced your phone number. I got busy, but have been thinking about your car and your situation. I just pm'd you my contact info...

That would be great. Calling you now.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 09:44 AM