Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Is it just me?, Is this place getting worse?
r_towle
post Jun 11 2008, 09:26 AM
Post #1

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I have always thought that the 914world and 914club communities were trusted.

By that I mean when you sell an item, or give someone something...its a family of 914 addicts that we are supporting.

I am getting sad about the way the membership has turned. I will insert a quote here to allow you to see what is going on...

I dont like to "out" people, but when the lack of common good grace is removed from our community, I think I will only sell to those I know, or use Ebay so I have at least the recourse of feedback that gets noted on a buyers profile for the long term.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 11 2008, 11:21 AM) *

MikeZ wanted it, but quickly told me he did not...that is cool

Elcid claimed he wanted it, claimed he sent a check (for 15 days) then refused to answer emails...odd behaviour, not cool

Jesiv did the same thing...claimed to be sending payment...never did.

It urks me that I have to wait and not sell something to find out that in fact the people did not send payment...

Not only that..I no longer get any reply from the email. How hard is it to say..."hey, I changed my mind"

I am fine with that, things happen. No communication is rude and makes selling things on the 914world classifieds less appealing.
If it happened once, I get it. But twice on the same item. And the behaviour was exactly the same..."I sent the check" then 10-15 days later, no email, no response to PM, no response to anything...

Its just rude behaviour and its why Ebay has a rating system...to out people that behave like this.

Rich

Rich
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SGB
post Jun 11 2008, 09:42 AM
Post #2

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

One (OK, two) bad apple(s)....

Don't lose hope.
+Quote Post
GringoLoco
post Jun 11 2008, 09:58 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,100
Region Association: None

Where I work we essentially have to meet similar minimum requirements as the law enforcement community, and the very nature of our work absolutely demands an unusually high level of ethics, honesty, and integrity. Unfortunately, I work with a couple asshats. No matter where you go, you'll have to deal with asshats. I don't think it means 914club/world is going down the tubes, I think it just reflects on society in general. If anything, I'd say my experience here so far, while short, has been far more encouraging than what I see at work.
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Jun 11 2008, 10:16 AM
Post #4

Teener fo Life!

Member No.: 977
Region Association: Northern California

ebay doesnt allow sellers to post feedback about buyers anymore:/
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Jun 11 2008, 10:27 AM
Post #5

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

It's really just the nature of the society we have brewed. It is a simple solution though. You first have to take a stance as a seller and be firm. Take Paypal. When someone is interested get a non refundable deposit at the MINIMUM to hold the part for X number of days. Refundable only if it's not what you advertised. If it's a shipping transaction, make sure you take lots of pictures and give a very accurate description. If you describe it LESS than what it is you will always have happy buyers.

If they give lame excuses just tell them you are taking the first person who pays and the part will continue to be for sale but you would love to sell it him and help him out but you need to sell it. I rarely have problems selling stuff anywhere using the above.
+Quote Post
dbgriffith75
post Jun 11 2008, 10:34 AM
Post #6

TheGrif

Member No.: 7,945
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I wouldn't take it as a sign that 914world.com is going downhill... just take it as a sign that some members are just not very "net ethical."

I can understand your frustration; but there's A LOT of members here (825 pages worth if you click "Members" in the top right corner) and I think running into the "bad apples," as SGB put it, one after another is just your bad luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Seriously though, don't let one or two members throw you off. You're not the first, and I doubt you'll be the last. Some people are just like that.

Besides which, these types of incidents sound like a typical email type scam to me, except on a message board. They ask you for something, then you never hear from them again; and if you're unfortunate enough to actually send it to them, you're really SOL.

If you haven't actually sent the part(s) to anyone, then all in all no harm is really done if you haven't been paid. Consider yourself lucky that you haven't been burned.
+Quote Post
ericread
post Jun 11 2008, 10:42 AM
Post #7

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jun 11 2008, 09:27 AM) *

It's really just the nature of the society we have brewed. It is a simple solution though. You first have to take a stance as a seller and be firm. Take Paypal. When someone is interested get a non refundable deposit at the MINIMUM to hold the part for X number of days. Refundable only if it's not what you advertised. If it's a shipping transaction, make sure you take lots of pictures and give a very accurate description. If you describe it LESS than what it is you will always have happy buyers.

If they give lame excuses just tell them you are taking the first person who pays and the part will continue to be for sale but you would love to sell it him and help him out but you need to sell it. I rarely have problems selling stuff anywhere using the above.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

We have developed a society where it is permissable to lie. So I shaded the truth to get the public to support the war... So I cheated in a mid-term exam. So I lied on my job application... etc. There are no consequences to getting caught in a lie anymore. So more of our sociuety "shades" the truth.

Combine that with the larger number of persons that come to this site, and you have a situation where more dishonesty and fraud is bound to occur. No different than in a retail store that suddenly gets popular. Shoplifting goes up.

Hold parts for sales to persons you know and trust - that's the right thing to do. But if you don't know them, tell them in advance it's going to the first person that provides full payment. Or, as mentioned above, demand a non-refundable PayPal deposit. If they can't make an immediate PayPal payment, then admit the fact, they don't have then money - and move on.

Eric
+Quote Post
brer
post Jun 11 2008, 10:42 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736

I think it started when that 914 got published in that ImportTuner mag.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jun 11 2008, 10:45 AM
Post #9

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Well if I buy something or sell something I try to use Pay pal just to avoid these situations.
My transaction should take seconds to finish and I get or ship parts right away.

I do think there are some knuckle heads here and there.

but the 1st one who sends me money gets the part. sorry I just don't play wait around for numb nuts to get around to it.
+Quote Post
porschecb
post Jun 11 2008, 10:54 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,529

The other thing is that you do not have to own a 914 or any car to become a member here. Sooo... You my never know who you are dealing with or who is just trying to mess with you or whatever. Still better than craigslist i think.

Michael
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 11 2008, 11:08 AM
Post #11

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

obviously, how a person deals with a new member/first time buyer is dif than someone you've dealt with in the past. i don't believe it's a deterioration of the site(s) in large.

k
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 11 2008, 11:08 AM
Post #12

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jun 11 2008, 11:13 AM
Post #13

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Don't buy-sell on the clubs anymore. Problem solved. Use other resources like evilBay or craigslist etc.
Thus far, that rule has done me nothing but good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 11 2008, 11:24 AM
Post #14

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

It would have been nice if they had contacted you about backing out. I think a contributing factor if not a mitigating factor is the cost of shipping. I recently offered to buy a set of wheels from a guy on the East Coast and got a quote of $400 to ship them. I declined... When shipping reaches 2/3 of the sale price you are going to see a lot of people back out.

On a separate note, Leamon was clearly not hijacking your thread. He was looking for someone who knows electronic test equipment to fix his. I suspect you were "in a mood" after having two people jump in and then out...
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jun 11 2008, 11:59 AM
Post #15

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jun 11 2008, 10:13 AM) *

Don't buy-sell on the clubs anymore. Problem solved. Use other resources like evilBay or craigslist etc.
Thus far, that rule has done me nothing but good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Amen, Dan ....................
+Quote Post
AvalonFal
post Jun 11 2008, 12:11 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 4,367
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Jun 11 2008, 12:16 PM) *

ebay doesnt allow sellers to post feedback about buyers anymore:/

e-bay doesn't allow sellers to post NEGATIVE or NEUTRAL feedback for buyers. You can only post POSITIVE feedback.

To avoid payment problems, set up a Pay Pal account and only accept payment through it. Reduces the number of potential buyers, but also reduces the number of pretenders.

Paul
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jun 11 2008, 12:12 PM
Post #17

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

What really fries my ass is when people (forum members) bring you something to be repaired and don't have the common decency to pick it up and pay for it for more than a year! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Jun 11 2008, 12:22 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Yawn (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
stateofidleness
post Jun 11 2008, 12:23 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 8,065

i'd like to say that I have had nothing but positive experiences from people on both forums!

Joe was even kind enough to send me an alternator at his expense!

I've also had an entire interior shipped. I do think that Paypal is the easiest form of payment and when selling, its the quickest way to know who paid.

There's gonna be people like that no matter where you go, but I think there are a ton of amazing, very dedicated members here and I appreciate the people that go the extra mile (more-so than ebay or CL) to ensure the community and it's members stay satisfied and able to drive their cars
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Jun 11 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I don't do much buying and selling at all, but as for the people on this board, I have nothing but good things to say, I'm proud to be part of this group.

Ferg (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 09:48 AM