Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it just me?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
I have always thought that the 914world and 914club communities were trusted.

By that I mean when you sell an item, or give someone something...its a family of 914 addicts that we are supporting.

I am getting sad about the way the membership has turned. I will insert a quote here to allow you to see what is going on...

I dont like to "out" people, but when the lack of common good grace is removed from our community, I think I will only sell to those I know, or use Ebay so I have at least the recourse of feedback that gets noted on a buyers profile for the long term.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 11 2008, 11:21 AM) *

MikeZ wanted it, but quickly told me he did not...that is cool

Elcid claimed he wanted it, claimed he sent a check (for 15 days) then refused to answer emails...odd behaviour, not cool

Jesiv did the same thing...claimed to be sending payment...never did.

It urks me that I have to wait and not sell something to find out that in fact the people did not send payment...

Not only that..I no longer get any reply from the email. How hard is it to say..."hey, I changed my mind"

I am fine with that, things happen. No communication is rude and makes selling things on the 914world classifieds less appealing.
If it happened once, I get it. But twice on the same item. And the behaviour was exactly the same..."I sent the check" then 10-15 days later, no email, no response to PM, no response to anything...

Its just rude behaviour and its why Ebay has a rating system...to out people that behave like this.

Rich

Rich
SGB
One (OK, two) bad apple(s)....

Don't lose hope.
GringoLoco
Where I work we essentially have to meet similar minimum requirements as the law enforcement community, and the very nature of our work absolutely demands an unusually high level of ethics, honesty, and integrity. Unfortunately, I work with a couple asshats. No matter where you go, you'll have to deal with asshats. I don't think it means 914club/world is going down the tubes, I think it just reflects on society in general. If anything, I'd say my experience here so far, while short, has been far more encouraging than what I see at work.
biosurfer1
ebay doesnt allow sellers to post feedback about buyers anymore:/
PRS914-6
It's really just the nature of the society we have brewed. It is a simple solution though. You first have to take a stance as a seller and be firm. Take Paypal. When someone is interested get a non refundable deposit at the MINIMUM to hold the part for X number of days. Refundable only if it's not what you advertised. If it's a shipping transaction, make sure you take lots of pictures and give a very accurate description. If you describe it LESS than what it is you will always have happy buyers.

If they give lame excuses just tell them you are taking the first person who pays and the part will continue to be for sale but you would love to sell it him and help him out but you need to sell it. I rarely have problems selling stuff anywhere using the above.
dbgriffith75
I wouldn't take it as a sign that 914world.com is going downhill... just take it as a sign that some members are just not very "net ethical."

I can understand your frustration; but there's A LOT of members here (825 pages worth if you click "Members" in the top right corner) and I think running into the "bad apples," as SGB put it, one after another is just your bad luck. biggrin.gif Seriously though, don't let one or two members throw you off. You're not the first, and I doubt you'll be the last. Some people are just like that.

Besides which, these types of incidents sound like a typical email type scam to me, except on a message board. They ask you for something, then you never hear from them again; and if you're unfortunate enough to actually send it to them, you're really SOL.

If you haven't actually sent the part(s) to anyone, then all in all no harm is really done if you haven't been paid. Consider yourself lucky that you haven't been burned.
ericread
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jun 11 2008, 09:27 AM) *

It's really just the nature of the society we have brewed. It is a simple solution though. You first have to take a stance as a seller and be firm. Take Paypal. When someone is interested get a non refundable deposit at the MINIMUM to hold the part for X number of days. Refundable only if it's not what you advertised. If it's a shipping transaction, make sure you take lots of pictures and give a very accurate description. If you describe it LESS than what it is you will always have happy buyers.

If they give lame excuses just tell them you are taking the first person who pays and the part will continue to be for sale but you would love to sell it him and help him out but you need to sell it. I rarely have problems selling stuff anywhere using the above.

agree.gif

We have developed a society where it is permissable to lie. So I shaded the truth to get the public to support the war... So I cheated in a mid-term exam. So I lied on my job application... etc. There are no consequences to getting caught in a lie anymore. So more of our sociuety "shades" the truth.

Combine that with the larger number of persons that come to this site, and you have a situation where more dishonesty and fraud is bound to occur. No different than in a retail store that suddenly gets popular. Shoplifting goes up.

Hold parts for sales to persons you know and trust - that's the right thing to do. But if you don't know them, tell them in advance it's going to the first person that provides full payment. Or, as mentioned above, demand a non-refundable PayPal deposit. If they can't make an immediate PayPal payment, then admit the fact, they don't have then money - and move on.

Eric
brer
I think it started when that 914 got published in that ImportTuner mag.

tongue.gif
Joe Ricard
Well if I buy something or sell something I try to use Pay pal just to avoid these situations.
My transaction should take seconds to finish and I get or ship parts right away.

I do think there are some knuckle heads here and there.

but the 1st one who sends me money gets the part. sorry I just don't play wait around for numb nuts to get around to it.
porschecb
The other thing is that you do not have to own a 914 or any car to become a member here. Sooo... You my never know who you are dealing with or who is just trying to mess with you or whatever. Still better than craigslist i think.

Michael
rhodyguy
obviously, how a person deals with a new member/first time buyer is dif than someone you've dealt with in the past. i don't believe it's a deterioration of the site(s) in large.

k
carr914
smile.gif
Root_Werks
Don't buy-sell on the clubs anymore. Problem solved. Use other resources like evilBay or craigslist etc.
Thus far, that rule has done me nothing but good. wink.gif
ConeDodger
It would have been nice if they had contacted you about backing out. I think a contributing factor if not a mitigating factor is the cost of shipping. I recently offered to buy a set of wheels from a guy on the East Coast and got a quote of $400 to ship them. I declined... When shipping reaches 2/3 of the sale price you are going to see a lot of people back out.

On a separate note, Leamon was clearly not hijacking your thread. He was looking for someone who knows electronic test equipment to fix his. I suspect you were "in a mood" after having two people jump in and then out...
SLITS
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jun 11 2008, 10:13 AM) *

Don't buy-sell on the clubs anymore. Problem solved. Use other resources like evilBay or craigslist etc.
Thus far, that rule has done me nothing but good. wink.gif

Amen, Dan ....................
AvalonFal
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Jun 11 2008, 12:16 PM) *

ebay doesnt allow sellers to post feedback about buyers anymore:/

e-bay doesn't allow sellers to post NEGATIVE or NEUTRAL feedback for buyers. You can only post POSITIVE feedback.

To avoid payment problems, set up a Pay Pal account and only accept payment through it. Reduces the number of potential buyers, but also reduces the number of pretenders.

Paul
ChrisFoley
What really fries my ass is when people (forum members) bring you something to be repaired and don't have the common decency to pick it up and pay for it for more than a year! wink.gif wavey.gif
Ferg

Yawn rolleyes.gif
stateofidleness
i'd like to say that I have had nothing but positive experiences from people on both forums!

Joe was even kind enough to send me an alternator at his expense!

I've also had an entire interior shipped. I do think that Paypal is the easiest form of payment and when selling, its the quickest way to know who paid.

There's gonna be people like that no matter where you go, but I think there are a ton of amazing, very dedicated members here and I appreciate the people that go the extra mile (more-so than ebay or CL) to ensure the community and it's members stay satisfied and able to drive their cars
Ferg
agree.gif I don't do much buying and selling at all, but as for the people on this board, I have nothing but good things to say, I'm proud to be part of this group.

Ferg beerchug.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 11 2008, 10:12 AM) *

What really fries my ass is when people (forum members) bring you something to be repaired and don't have the common decency to pick it up and pay for it for more than a year! wink.gif wavey.gif

Well thats to counteract it taking me over a year to get my car to you. av-943.gif

I did try to purchase something from a forum member last month. They responded to my first email saying that yes they had it in stock. I emailed back saying I would like to buy it then. Never got an email for 2 weeks. I did get a phone message that was about 5 seconds long and something about 914 parts and a number that was blocked. Then 2 weeks later I got an email wanting to know what happened and did I still want the parts. Somewhere along the way we got our wires crossed.
WTF.gif

Other then this I haven't had any problems on this board buying or selling.
iamchappy
So far all of my transactions have been very favorable...
shelby/914
I have bought and sold quite a few things here over the last few years, never really a problem. Like everyone else, I don't like giving paypal a cut, but it does work, and it works immediately. No waiting for checks to arrive and clear. Sorry you got jerked around by a few of the bad apples.
PeeGreen 914
You are going to deal with this no matter where you try to buy or sell. I have GIVEN much of my parts to members and sometimes it is hard making sure the first person that wanted it gets it. Many of the people in this community are good and decent people that try to do things the best they can. Even still, I have sent money to people that did not ever get there so I had to send another check. However, for those that want it and are trying to find a way to pay for it, maybe they are really trying like hell to figure out a way to pay but are too embarressed to say anything about that. So they say they are sending the money. Not one of those guys you commented on really harmed you. Just an inconvience. So why are your panties all in a bunch?
ericread

You have just dissapointed a lot of members... av-943.gif
JRust
I've had nothing but good things come from buying & selling on the boards. Most times I talk with people on the phone before I seal the deal. I trust my judgement & if the people are cool overall I figure it will work out. I've sent a few parts out at my expense. Depends on the part but I'll ship it. If it works for you pay me the agreed upon price. If not you can pay to ship it back. Either way I think our community as a whole is great.

Having said that I have noticed few issues here & there with people. Really it comes down to respect. In our world today it is so easy to get on a board & blast someone. This seems to be happening more & more. Sometimes it is warranted but many times people just need to relax. Bottom line is the old addage "treat people like you want to be treated" . If you like being treated like crap then this rule doesn't apply to you poke.gif
michaelt55
MOST of my interactions with purchases have been stellar...however..I still have one on the fringes that worrys me.. Its been a month..no response..

Michael
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 11 2008, 07:26 AM) *

Is it just me?

you nailed it! thumb3d.gif

biggrin.gif Andy
jsayre914
biggrin.gif Since I found this site I have been buying parts from many diff vendors, I have had nothing but good experience, I never even heard the term Pay it Foreward befor this site. I thank all of the vendors here smilie_pokal.gif

Everyone needs to communicate

I like the idea of having phone numbers of people I deal with. It makes me more comfortable if I am making a purchase I will give my number, that dosnt mean someone will pick up the phone, but hey KARMA......they will get theirs chair.gif
Dr. Roger
100% of the people I've dealt with here have been "of high integrity", or "above the call of duty", in my humble experience.

<is this place getting worse?>
I've seen this place continually improve.

Don't worry, If I was you I'd be frustrated too. cool.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 11 2008, 05:06 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 11 2008, 07:26 AM) *

Is it just me?

you nailed it! thumb3d.gif

biggrin.gif Andy

Yup, its Karma.

Rich
rhodyguy
$400 shipping for wheels!!? how many? 20+? about shipping quotes...if you want a part, you want a part. period!! NOT depending on shipping costs. shipping is what shipping is. don't make a person put other potencial buyers on hold. if the ad lingers make your move. that's why using the USPS flat rate priority is so handy. when you recieve a part flat rate, the actual price you pay is roughly $10+fuel to and from the p.o.+time less and the parts are usually damn sight cheaper than the ones available thru most used parts sellers (real biz style). i remember being gouged. shit parts too.

k
zonedoubt
What about creating a Buyer/Seller feedback forum here kinda like they have the The Samba boards.
stateofidleness
think it's been suggested before, but like the admins say.. that's not really what this forum is for, just a side "service" that has become available... with feedback comes some kind of responsibility or something..

on another forum (slickdeals.net), they have a "reputation" system which is kinda cool
Joe Bob
Well...in MY defence. I was replying for a friend that said he wanted it...HE flaked on me....

As to are we getting worse....don't think so. In my case my patience is wearing thinner due to kids, age and the general disgust I have with life in general. So maybe THAT's IT...plus yer from Boston and you guys think ya own the world now that the Sox won the freaking Series....

I seem to remember being happier when I was broke and living in a one bedroom shotgun shack in Hermosa Beach for $165 a month that I split with a Betty that I had an informal sleeping arrangment with....Dawn Patrol, shotgunning a warm Coors and doing the Wedge....

Young Dumb and Full of Crap....
r_towle
QUOTE((*)(*) @ Jun 11 2008, 08:53 PM) *

Well...in MY defence. I was replying for a friend that said he wanted it...HE flaked on me....

As to are we getting worse....don't think so. In my case my patience is wearing thinner due to kids, age and the general disgust I have with life in general. So maybe THAT's IT...plus yer from Boston and you guys think ya own the world now that the Sox won the freaking Series....

I seem to remember being happier when I was broke and living in a one bedroom shotgun shack in Hermosa Beach for $165 a month that I split with a Betty that I had an informal sleeping arrangment with....Dawn Patrol, shotgunning a warm Coors and doing the Wedge....

Young Dumb and Full of Crap....

I was not dissing you. You communicated...that is all I ask.
Redsox, Patriots and Celtics...oh you like the lakers right....

Rich
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 11 2008, 05:39 PM) *

$400 shipping for wheels!!? how many? 20+? about shipping quotes...if you want a part, you want a part. period!! NOT depending on shipping costs. shipping is what shipping is. don't make a person put other potencial buyers on hold. if the ad lingers make your move. that's why using the USPS flat rate priority is so handy. when you recieve a part flat rate, the actual price you pay is roughly $10+fuel to and from the p.o.+time less and the parts are usually damn sight cheaper than the ones available thru most used parts sellers (real biz style). i remember being gouged. shit parts too.

k

No kidding Kevin, 4 Fuch 5 lugs 16X7 and 16X6... I did a quick estimate on my own and UPS Ground would have been about $60... When he gave me that shipping estimate i responded quickly with "I'll pass..." It turned out to be an 18 year old kid.
rhodyguy
backing out of a $400 shipping fee is not included in my rant. there's something seriously wrong with that and the whole transaction would be suspect.

k
PeeGreen 914
blink.gif popcorn[1].gif
scotty b
you're all a bunch of dickhats. I'm moving over to the Miata forum. At least they know they're gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that unsure.gif
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif blink.gif
sww914
Aside from any problems buying and selling and insulting MikeZ, I say that this forum is much more considerate and friendly, helpful to noobies, and generally a nice place to be than most of the internet. Over and over I see people helping each other, loaning parts and getting together for a few cold ones or a burger. It's not often that something crappy comes from here.
Joe Bob
I've had a request to lock this thread....we're done people.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.