Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> New Speaker Housings, homemade speaker housings for 914
Joe Owensby
post Jun 20 2008, 07:04 PM
Post #1

JoeO

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,385
Region Association: South East States

I wanted to upgrade my speakers, and decided to make new housings for 6 1/2 inch speakers. Please note that you can buy these from several member vendors, and those are probably nicer than mine. However, I made these from some existing fiberglass cloth and resin I had, so the cost to me was zero. The first photo shows a completed speaker and also a sample of how I made the mold.

I took my existing plastic speaker housings (which by the way had broken ears, etc.) and used these as a mold to lay up new fiberglass housings. I took some styrofoam block and glued it to the old housing using spray on glue. This was then sanded to create the desired shape for a larger speaker. I glued on cardboard extensions in the areas where the ears were broken off to serve as a base for the new fiberglass to take shape. Over this, I placed a layer of Glad wrap- the kind that has the mild adhesive on it. This wrap served to allow the completed fiberglass housing to be removed from the old speaker. I then layed up about 3 layers of fiberglass cloth with resin applied on each layer. The photo shows the final product with a new speaker installed, along side an old speaker with the foam on it that was the mold. Second photo shows the passenger side speaker installed. Maybe not as good as the purchased ones, but I am very satisfied.

JoeO

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 06:05 AM