Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Speaker Housings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Owensby
I wanted to upgrade my speakers, and decided to make new housings for 6 1/2 inch speakers. Please note that you can buy these from several member vendors, and those are probably nicer than mine. However, I made these from some existing fiberglass cloth and resin I had, so the cost to me was zero. The first photo shows a completed speaker and also a sample of how I made the mold.

I took my existing plastic speaker housings (which by the way had broken ears, etc.) and used these as a mold to lay up new fiberglass housings. I took some styrofoam block and glued it to the old housing using spray on glue. This was then sanded to create the desired shape for a larger speaker. I glued on cardboard extensions in the areas where the ears were broken off to serve as a base for the new fiberglass to take shape. Over this, I placed a layer of Glad wrap- the kind that has the mild adhesive on it. This wrap served to allow the completed fiberglass housing to be removed from the old speaker. I then layed up about 3 layers of fiberglass cloth with resin applied on each layer. The photo shows the final product with a new speaker installed, along side an old speaker with the foam on it that was the mold. Second photo shows the passenger side speaker installed. Maybe not as good as the purchased ones, but I am very satisfied.

JoeO
Cevan
Nice job!! beerchug.gif

I have an extra foam footwell that I'm thinking of making a sub-woofer enclosure from. Winter project.
gasman
OK......I know it sounds crazy...did anyone ever install a 5" subwoofer inside the center console???? I found the 5" subwoofers on the web.... Thanks
So.Cal.914
I saw one mounted in the side of the console, they cuy a hole and put it in.
gasman
I didn't want to cut any holes....the console is open at the top and the front point. Thought there was enough area for the sound to escape the console and keep the speaker hidden....They are cheap enough so I'll give it a try some day. Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.