Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I have no more clutch
jsayre914
post Jun 24 2008, 09:33 AM
Post #1

Speed Up !!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,696
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Driving home last night I noticed the clutch pedal had a little extra play. Half hour later I stopped to get gas and the pedal was half limp. I got to my exit 20 min later and that was it, no more anything.... i forced it into 3rd and made it home without stopping. I looke at the firewall and it seems the PO had already replaced the tube in the center tunnel, looks strong. i checked both ends of the cable.... looks great, then i unhooked it from the pully in the back, that is where I found the problem. The lever going into the tranny is flopping around and it does not seem to have any tension on it at all. WHAT HAPPEND (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tango-52
post Jun 24 2008, 09:43 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,243
Region Association: Southern California

Probably the same thing that happened to me. On mine, the ball on the end of the pivot pin snapped off. Nothing for the lever to hang onto anymore, so it just flops around. You will need to drop the transmission to change it. Here is a link to my previous posting on it:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=84496&hl=
+Quote Post
dbgriffith75
post Jun 24 2008, 09:45 AM
Post #3

TheGrif

Member No.: 7,945
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The lever going into the tranny is flopping around and it does not seem to have any tension on it at all. WHAT HAPPEND

Sounds like the throwout bearing took a crap on ya. Drop the tranny. When it's out, you can see the throwout bearing w/out having to dismantle. See below image- I've arrowed it for ya. The rod leading outside the tranny is where your clutch cable hooks up.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 24 2008, 09:49 AM
Post #4

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

or the ball stud clip has failed. or the plastic thowout bearing clips (there are 2).
+Quote Post
kerensky
post Jun 24 2008, 09:54 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,508
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sigh, where were all you guys with this sage advice when the same thing happened to me 22 years ago? ;D
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 24 2008, 10:03 AM
Post #6

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jun 24 2008, 08:33 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Driving home last night I noticed the clutch pedal had a little extra play. Half hour later I stopped to get gas and the pedal was half limp. I got to my exit 20 min later and that was it, no more anything.... i forced it into 3rd and made it home without stopping. I looke at the firewall and it seems the PO had already replaced the tube in the center tunnel, looks strong. i checked both ends of the cable.... looks great, then i unhooked it from the pully in the back, that is where I found the problem. The lever going into the tranny is flopping around and it does not seem to have any tension on it at all. WHAT HAPPEND (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

IT BROOK!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Jun 24 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #7

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984
Region Association: None

QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 24 2008, 12:03 PM) *

It Brook.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I assume you mean Broke???

Mensa member? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
dbgriffith75
post Jun 24 2008, 11:58 AM
Post #8

TheGrif

Member No.: 7,945
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Sigh, where were all you guys with this sage advice when the same thing happened to me 22 years ago? ;D

I was 3 years old... and I'm pretty sure in '86, household computers weren't an "everyman's item." But if you like, I will begin construction of the time machine I've had in the works since kindergarten, travel back to '86, and let you know what happened. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 24 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #9

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(tdgray @ Jun 24 2008, 10:47 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 24 2008, 12:03 PM) *

It Brook.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I assume you mean Broke???

Mensa member? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

whoops my bad ....Im hooked on fonics (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) tanks four the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) corwrecktion (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 25 2008, 01:39 AM
Post #10

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Also check your pedal cluster. If you've recently "upgraded" to bronze pedal bushings, chances are that your clutch pedal roll pin has failed.

It's a possibility even if you haven't done the bronze bushing job; even a decently-strong roll pin (unlike the ones in the bronze bushing kits) can give up after many years of use.

--DD
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jun 25 2008, 05:48 AM
Post #11

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

Cone screw worked loose, maybe?
+Quote Post
type47
post Jun 25 2008, 07:09 AM
Post #12

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

hmmmm.... where is a cone screw in the clutch cable/pedal? cone screw in the linkage though....
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 06:23 AM