Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I have no more clutch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
sad.gif Driving home last night I noticed the clutch pedal had a little extra play. Half hour later I stopped to get gas and the pedal was half limp. I got to my exit 20 min later and that was it, no more anything.... i forced it into 3rd and made it home without stopping. I looke at the firewall and it seems the PO had already replaced the tube in the center tunnel, looks strong. i checked both ends of the cable.... looks great, then i unhooked it from the pully in the back, that is where I found the problem. The lever going into the tranny is flopping around and it does not seem to have any tension on it at all. WHAT HAPPEND WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif
tango-52
Probably the same thing that happened to me. On mine, the ball on the end of the pivot pin snapped off. Nothing for the lever to hang onto anymore, so it just flops around. You will need to drop the transmission to change it. Here is a link to my previous posting on it:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=84496&hl=
dbgriffith75
The lever going into the tranny is flopping around and it does not seem to have any tension on it at all. WHAT HAPPEND

Sounds like the throwout bearing took a crap on ya. Drop the tranny. When it's out, you can see the throwout bearing w/out having to dismantle. See below image- I've arrowed it for ya. The rod leading outside the tranny is where your clutch cable hooks up.
rhodyguy
or the ball stud clip has failed. or the plastic thowout bearing clips (there are 2).
kerensky
Sigh, where were all you guys with this sage advice when the same thing happened to me 22 years ago? ;D
6freak
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jun 24 2008, 08:33 AM) *

sad.gif Driving home last night I noticed the clutch pedal had a little extra play. Half hour later I stopped to get gas and the pedal was half limp. I got to my exit 20 min later and that was it, no more anything.... i forced it into 3rd and made it home without stopping. I looke at the firewall and it seems the PO had already replaced the tube in the center tunnel, looks strong. i checked both ends of the cable.... looks great, then i unhooked it from the pully in the back, that is where I found the problem. The lever going into the tranny is flopping around and it does not seem to have any tension on it at all. WHAT HAPPEND WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif

IT BROOK!! av-943.gif
tdgray
QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 24 2008, 12:03 PM) *

IT BROOK!! av-943.gif

It Brook.... blink.gif

I assume you mean Broke???

Mensa member? biggrin.gif
dbgriffith75
Sigh, where were all you guys with this sage advice when the same thing happened to me 22 years ago? ;D

I was 3 years old... and I'm pretty sure in '86, household computers weren't an "everyman's item." But if you like, I will begin construction of the time machine I've had in the works since kindergarten, travel back to '86, and let you know what happened. biggrin.gif
6freak
QUOTE(tdgray @ Jun 24 2008, 10:47 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 24 2008, 12:03 PM) *

IT BROOK!! av-943.gif

It Brook.... blink.gif

I assume you mean Broke???

Mensa member? biggrin.gif

whoops my bad ....Im hooked on fonics huh.gif tanks four the wacko.gif corwrecktion wacko.gif
Dave_Darling
Also check your pedal cluster. If you've recently "upgraded" to bronze pedal bushings, chances are that your clutch pedal roll pin has failed.

It's a possibility even if you haven't done the bronze bushing job; even a decently-strong roll pin (unlike the ones in the bronze bushing kits) can give up after many years of use.

--DD
zymurgist
Cone screw worked loose, maybe?
type47
hmmmm.... where is a cone screw in the clutch cable/pedal? cone screw in the linkage though....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.