Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bronze Trailing Arm Bearing
Wilhelm
post Jun 28 2008, 05:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,088
Region Association: None

Had some time and bronze extrusion so thought I would try my hand at making some trailing arm bearings. Hopefully these will eliminate the "striction" (sticky friction of synthetic bearings). The ID is 28mm, the OD is 38mm, the flange diameter is 52mm, the flange width is 6.3mm, the overall length is 55mm. To do list: cut an oil groove midlength and crossdrill into this. After pressing these in will drill and thread a grease zerk to intersect the oil groove.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jun 28 2008, 05:39 PM
Post #2

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

My Delrin bushings don't have "striction", are a lot easier to turn than bronze, and have a spiral groove for grease. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Wilhelm
post Jun 28 2008, 07:39 PM
Post #3

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attachments are working now.
Don't know why I got the triple post, that was weird.
+Quote Post
Wilhelm
post Jun 28 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 28 2008, 04:39 PM) *

My Delrin bushings don't have "striction", are a lot easier to turn than bronze, and have a spiral groove for grease. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

These really seem to have minimal friction, will have a grease groove and be easy to regrease. Doing projects such as this fulfills my never ending need to keep making things and not ever getting the car off the rotisserie. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Maybe I need ritalin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Jun 28 2008, 08:59 PM
Post #5

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Jun 28 2008, 06:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 28 2008, 04:39 PM) *

These really seem to have minimal friction, will have a grease groove and be easy to regrease. Doing projects such as this fulfills my never ending need to keep making things and not ever getting the car off the rotisserie. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Maybe I need ritalin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Ooooooooooooooooooooooo. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jun 28 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #6

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Some things you should be aware of:

The ID of the trailing arm tube is out-of-round.... nearly .04 on mine.

The over all length of your trailing arm tube with bushings installed should be about .03 shorter than the pivot rod, shoulder to shoulder.

You'll need to grease the flange of your bushings to keep them from grinding on the ears....and keep on it as grit will get in there...iff'n you ever get it off the stands. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Wilhelm
post Jun 28 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 28 2008, 08:50 PM) *

Some things you should be aware of:

The ID of the trailing arm tube is out-of-round.... nearly .04 on mine.

The over all length of your trailing arm tube with bushings installed should be about .03 shorter than the pivot rod, shoulder to shoulder.

You'll need to grease the flange of your bushings to keep them from grinding on the ears....and keep on it as grit will get in there...iff'n you ever get it off the stands. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thought about that.
20,000 pounds of hydraulic press pushed it in just fine and the pivot rod still rotated nicely! Thinking of putting an o-ring groove at the outer circumference of the flange to contain grease and keep out crud. An alternative would be to add thrust needle bearings at the ends, of course these would need to be sealed.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) But wait, why don't I just put sealed ball bearings in the tubes..... Oh wait.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) I'm going to try to keep it simple and I'll update sometime to say how well they are holding up. I'm sure they'll hold up quit well on the jackstands anyway.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 28 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #8

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Two hardened washers per side with a thrust bearing in the middle...simple.
Yes you need to grease it..big deal.

Rich
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 04:28 AM