Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bronze Trailing Arm Bearing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wilhelm
Had some time and bronze extrusion so thought I would try my hand at making some trailing arm bearings. Hopefully these will eliminate the "striction" (sticky friction of synthetic bearings). The ID is 28mm, the OD is 38mm, the flange diameter is 52mm, the flange width is 6.3mm, the overall length is 55mm. To do list: cut an oil groove midlength and crossdrill into this. After pressing these in will drill and thread a grease zerk to intersect the oil groove.

ChrisFoley
My Delrin bushings don't have "striction", are a lot easier to turn than bronze, and have a spiral groove for grease. smile.gif
Wilhelm
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Attachments are working now.
Don't know why I got the triple post, that was weird.
Wilhelm
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 28 2008, 04:39 PM) *

My Delrin bushings don't have "striction", are a lot easier to turn than bronze, and have a spiral groove for grease. smile.gif

These really seem to have minimal friction, will have a grease groove and be easy to regrease. Doing projects such as this fulfills my never ending need to keep making things and not ever getting the car off the rotisserie. blink.gif Maybe I need ritalin huh.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Jun 28 2008, 06:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 28 2008, 04:39 PM) *

These really seem to have minimal friction, will have a grease groove and be easy to regrease. Doing projects such as this fulfills my never ending need to keep making things and not ever getting the car off the rotisserie. blink.gif Maybe I need ritalin huh.gif

av-943.gif smilie_pokal.gif Ooooooooooooooooooooooo. smile.gif
J P Stein
Some things you should be aware of:

The ID of the trailing arm tube is out-of-round.... nearly .04 on mine.

The over all length of your trailing arm tube with bushings installed should be about .03 shorter than the pivot rod, shoulder to shoulder.

You'll need to grease the flange of your bushings to keep them from grinding on the ears....and keep on it as grit will get in there...iff'n you ever get it off the stands. biggrin.gif
Wilhelm
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 28 2008, 08:50 PM) *

Some things you should be aware of:

The ID of the trailing arm tube is out-of-round.... nearly .04 on mine.

The over all length of your trailing arm tube with bushings installed should be about .03 shorter than the pivot rod, shoulder to shoulder.

You'll need to grease the flange of your bushings to keep them from grinding on the ears....and keep on it as grit will get in there...iff'n you ever get it off the stands. biggrin.gif

Thought about that.
20,000 pounds of hydraulic press pushed it in just fine and the pivot rod still rotated nicely! Thinking of putting an o-ring groove at the outer circumference of the flange to contain grease and keep out crud. An alternative would be to add thrust needle bearings at the ends, of course these would need to be sealed.... idea.gif But wait, why don't I just put sealed ball bearings in the tubes..... Oh wait.... chair.gif I'm going to try to keep it simple and I'll update sometime to say how well they are holding up. I'm sure they'll hold up quit well on the jackstands anyway.
r_towle
Two hardened washers per side with a thrust bearing in the middle...simple.
Yes you need to grease it..big deal.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.