Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Long Drive on 101, trip to L.A. topless!
yellow914
post Jun 30 2008, 03:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,861
Region Association: Northern California

I drove to L.A. this last Friday night 325 miles from door to door (San Jose start). It is the longest trip I have taken the 914 on to date although I commute about 85 miles per day!...She ran like a champ!...although my ears were bleeding from the wind noise and loud exhaust note for almost 6 hours of continued driving.The only issue I had was she wouldn't re-start right after I shut her down?...Head temp sensor I suspect but...all in all a great car and a great ride!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jun 30 2008, 05:41 PM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

You suspect wrong. If it wouldn't crank, it's the starter, the wiring, or the ground cable. If it cranked but wouldn't start, it's the primitive EFI system. Give it some throttle under those conditions, and it might start. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
dw914er
post Jun 30 2008, 07:17 PM
Post #3

Planning Cities

Member No.: 8,763
Region Association: Southern California

vapor lock maybe. Happens to me after long(er) drives
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 30 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #4

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I found that a set of ear plugs makes the long drive a whole new experience.
It feels like a luxury car with earplug in.

Rich
+Quote Post
slow914
post Jul 1 2008, 12:02 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,671
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nice Work, I did to eastern washington and back this weekend myself and had the exact same starting problem, waited ten mins and gave it some gas, then back on the road, and yeah, it felt like i had been at a loud ass concert when i finally stopped

How was your mileage I was at 29mpg which aint bad for taking the pass in third gear haha
+Quote Post
Loser_Cruiser
post Jul 1 2008, 01:17 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,873

QUOTE(slow914 @ Jun 30 2008, 11:02 PM) *

Nice Work, I did to eastern washington and back this weekend myself and had the exact same starting problem, waited ten mins and gave it some gas, then back on the road, and yeah, it felt like i had been at a loud ass concert when i finally stopped

How was your mileage I was at 29mpg which aint bad for taking the pass in third gear haha

where at in eastern washington? Did you go to bugfair or something? I live in the tri-cities and I saw an orange 914 i have never seen before, was it you?
+Quote Post
yellow914
post Jul 1 2008, 06:50 PM
Post #7

I wore my IPOD earphones without the music just to block out the noise..lol

I have a 1.8 and got 30-32 at an average 65MPH the trip is mostly flat with one hill really.

Cap'n, thanks for the answer...your correct it didn't crank at all..I had lights/radio etc...but nada crank or whine to be had. So you think the starter took some heat?...I drove at night and it was a rather cool evening?...ground strap maybe?
+Quote Post
yellow914
post Jul 1 2008, 06:54 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(yellow914 @ Jul 1 2008, 05:50 PM) *

I wore my IPOD earphones without the music just to block out the noise..lol

I have a 1.8 and got 30-32 at an average 65MPH the trip is mostly flat with one hill really.

Cap'n, thanks for the answer...your correct it didn't crank at all..I had lights/radio etc...but nada crank or whine to be had. So you think the starter took some heat?...I drove at night and it was a rather cool evening?...ground strap maybe?

Actually my return trip was against the wind so the milage was more in the 26-27 range..and Geez I got batted around..but Lot-O-Fun nonetheless!
+Quote Post
slow914
post Jul 1 2008, 09:24 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,671

QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ Jul 1 2008, 12:17 AM) *

where at in eastern washington? Did you go to bugfair or something? I live in the tri-cities and I saw an orange 914 i have never seen before, was it you?

Just Wenatchee, went to visit my mother and to go the the hot rod show at confluence park, awesome btw

I drive a red 914 with a pink fender so it wouldent be me but i saw a yellow 914 in wenatchee and exchanged MY TOP IS OFF waves
+Quote Post
ntrylvl
post Jul 2 2008, 01:20 AM
Post #10

Obsessed

Member No.: 4,258

QUOTE(yellow914 @ Jul 1 2008, 05:50 PM) *

Try giving your starter solenoid a nice little whack with a rubber mallet. That usually works for me.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 2 2008, 03:11 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

I've been wearing these foam ear plugs for the past 40 years. (OK, not this actual pair). With the roof off and windows cranked down, it can get kinda noisy. If you're on a long trip, they really help. The worst noise is the high frequency road noise when a large truck goes by. I mean when I pass a large truck. They work well in noisy airplanes as well.
Cheers, Elliot

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 06:12 AM