Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Long Drive on 101
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yellow914
I drove to L.A. this last Friday night 325 miles from door to door (San Jose start). It is the longest trip I have taken the 914 on to date although I commute about 85 miles per day!...She ran like a champ!...although my ears were bleeding from the wind noise and loud exhaust note for almost 6 hours of continued driving.The only issue I had was she wouldn't re-start right after I shut her down?...Head temp sensor I suspect but...all in all a great car and a great ride!
Cap'n Krusty
You suspect wrong. If it wouldn't crank, it's the starter, the wiring, or the ground cable. If it cranked but wouldn't start, it's the primitive EFI system. Give it some throttle under those conditions, and it might start. The Cap'n
dw914er
vapor lock maybe. Happens to me after long(er) drives
r_towle
I found that a set of ear plugs makes the long drive a whole new experience.
It feels like a luxury car with earplug in.

Rich
slow914
Nice Work, I did to eastern washington and back this weekend myself and had the exact same starting problem, waited ten mins and gave it some gas, then back on the road, and yeah, it felt like i had been at a loud ass concert when i finally stopped

How was your mileage I was at 29mpg which aint bad for taking the pass in third gear haha
Loser_Cruiser
QUOTE(slow914 @ Jun 30 2008, 11:02 PM) *

Nice Work, I did to eastern washington and back this weekend myself and had the exact same starting problem, waited ten mins and gave it some gas, then back on the road, and yeah, it felt like i had been at a loud ass concert when i finally stopped

How was your mileage I was at 29mpg which aint bad for taking the pass in third gear haha

where at in eastern washington? Did you go to bugfair or something? I live in the tri-cities and I saw an orange 914 i have never seen before, was it you?
yellow914

I wore my IPOD earphones without the music just to block out the noise..lol

I have a 1.8 and got 30-32 at an average 65MPH the trip is mostly flat with one hill really.

Cap'n, thanks for the answer...your correct it didn't crank at all..I had lights/radio etc...but nada crank or whine to be had. So you think the starter took some heat?...I drove at night and it was a rather cool evening?...ground strap maybe?
yellow914
QUOTE(yellow914 @ Jul 1 2008, 05:50 PM) *

I wore my IPOD earphones without the music just to block out the noise..lol

I have a 1.8 and got 30-32 at an average 65MPH the trip is mostly flat with one hill really.

Cap'n, thanks for the answer...your correct it didn't crank at all..I had lights/radio etc...but nada crank or whine to be had. So you think the starter took some heat?...I drove at night and it was a rather cool evening?...ground strap maybe?

Actually my return trip was against the wind so the milage was more in the 26-27 range..and Geez I got batted around..but Lot-O-Fun nonetheless!
slow914
QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ Jul 1 2008, 12:17 AM) *

where at in eastern washington? Did you go to bugfair or something? I live in the tri-cities and I saw an orange 914 i have never seen before, was it you?

Just Wenatchee, went to visit my mother and to go the the hot rod show at confluence park, awesome btw

I drive a red 914 with a pink fender so it wouldent be me but i saw a yellow 914 in wenatchee and exchanged MY TOP IS OFF waves
ntrylvl
QUOTE(yellow914 @ Jul 1 2008, 05:50 PM) *

Try giving your starter solenoid a nice little whack with a rubber mallet. That usually works for me.
Elliot Cannon
I've been wearing these foam ear plugs for the past 40 years. (OK, not this actual pair). With the roof off and windows cranked down, it can get kinda noisy. If you're on a long trip, they really help. The worst noise is the high frequency road noise when a large truck goes by. I mean when I pass a large truck. They work well in noisy airplanes as well.
Cheers, Elliot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.