Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V8 Guys? Overheating issues- Ordered Renegades complete radiator setup, Also considering an LS1 swap down the road
computers4kids
post Aug 3 2008, 04:02 PM
Post #41

Love these little cars!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 3 2008, 03:08 AM) *

you need 2x as much escaping[u] area as you need for the air going into the radiator (IE your hole for the radiator inlet 2x bigger than the radiator outlet)

QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 3 2008, 10:12 AM) *

Will do Andrew. I have been looking into it for quite a while now. This is the first I've heard about the inlet being twice as large as the outlet. My cutout for the outlet may be to large. I will measure it after I have made my cutouts in front. Picture of others setups always help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Thanks for the tips as always

Sounds like a bit of confusion here to me. Re-read Andrews response. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Put your (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) away!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 3 2008, 04:23 PM
Post #42

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Oops I got it backwords! Definately makes more sense now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 5 2008, 01:22 AM
Post #43

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Woops! I had conflicting info in my post...

2x bigger outlet than inlet..

Thanks for the clarification Mark!

Good luck!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 5 2008, 01:26 AM
Post #44

Spooling.... Please wait

This might help a little

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...14097&st=80
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 25 2008, 05:39 PM
Post #45

914 Guru

So I finally ordered my Radiator setup from Renegade Hybrids. Figures they don't have any in stock so I am a couple weeks out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . Still I am excited to get the system & get my car cooling right. Wish I could have sprung for the system sooner but such is life.

Scott was also able to help me with some other things. One I ordered their tranny blocks to move things back a bit. I also had some indepth talks about my buick 215 & going with an electric remote water pump. I think I am going to leave my stock one in place if the new radiator fixes my problem that is. I am going to start planning on a LS1 engine down the road. It is lighter than my current motor & a good 100hp more in stock form (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) . Probably a ways down the road but I am going to keep my eyes open for a deal on an LS1 motor now. I'll post some pics when I get my new radiator installed. Although I need to find a section of my front trunk to fix my current cutout for the radiator. Anyone have one?
+Quote Post
marks914
post Aug 25 2008, 06:30 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 2,912

Sounds like the right thing to do. Its much much easier, for me at least, to have a car that is working, and continually improving upon it.
Now you can get it going and work out all the bugs and when you go to the LS, its "simply" a matter of the engine swap, the rest should be good to go.

Mark
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Aug 25 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #47

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 25 2008, 03:39 PM) *

... I am going to start planning on a LS1 engine down the road...

don't limit yourself to just the LS1. Consider the slightly larger LS2 as well - can probably get one out of a Vette by the time you are ready, do a simple swap or go through it and bone stock = 400 HP and 400 ft-lbs. Whether you go LS1 or LS2 you will want a better trans, so just "go big or go home" hahaha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) and go with the LS2.

Or take the block, swap the sleeves out and bore to 4.125" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) That is how they did 427s before GM came out with the LS7 engine - just re-sleeve and add a 4" stroke crank. Instead I would leave the stroke what it is and go 4.125" bore.

Just dreamin' a little for ya - no charge, on me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 25 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #48

914 Guru

Honestly I am happy at the 2-220hp I get now. Really more than I need anyway. Car flies the way it is & I don't need to go to crazy. I don't mind bumping up to the 300+ range that seems crazy enough for me. Who knows though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

By the time I get my cooling under control & really get to drive my car? Then maybe I will want to go a little crazy with my next engine. Either way I am just glad to have my radiator coming (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Aug 25 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 3,782

QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 25 2008, 07:28 PM) *

Honestly I am happy at the 2-220hp I get now. Really more than I need anyway. Car flies the way it is & I don't need to go to crazy. I don't mind bumping up to the 300+ range that seems crazy enough for me. Who knows though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

By the time I get my cooling under control & really get to drive my car? Then maybe I will want to go a little crazy with my next engine. Either way I am just glad to have my radiator coming (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Hey the Renegade set-up is a great choice, you will have no overheating problems now...
I say take your time, I think the "LS" series engines are a good choice, I would go that way if I had to do it again! Keep us posted!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 25 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #50

914 Guru

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Aug 25 2008, 09:58 PM) *

Hey the Renegade set-up is a great choice, you will have no overheating problems now...
I say take your time, I think the "LS" series engines are a good choice, I would go that way if I had to do it again! Keep us posted!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Hey drivability I just watched your engine video! That is one sweet rear trunk setup. Did you fab that yourself? Very cool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Aug 26 2008, 01:54 AM
Post #51

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533

200HP was great 'till I drove 300HP.

Then 300HP was great 'till I drove 400HP.

........ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

IMHO, 400HP/400Torque is the magical number where it becomes difficult to connect to the ground. And ohhhh what a problem THAT is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

NOT!
+Quote Post
andys
post Aug 26 2008, 10:58 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

JRust,

When considering the LSx series motors, prices variy wildly and some deals are to be had. The LS2 6.0L motor from a GTO/Vette will cost a few bucks, but it is all aluminum. If you go with an LQ9 6.0L motor from an Escalade, it has an iron block but it will be half the price. The iron block version weights 63lbs. more than the aluminum block; hard core racers prefer it over the aluminum block. An LM7 5.3L from a truck/SUV are at give away prices at the larger truck salvage yards; under $1000 and can be found with low miles all day long. If you gotta have that aluminum block, take a look at the L33 5.3L truck/SUV motor; A real sweet motor, 310HP all aluminum. In the case of the truck motors, you'll have to swap for the lower profile LS1/LS6 intake, but those are readily available on Ebay, etc. Then there are the usual crop of LS1 Camaro and LS6 Vette motors.

Let me know if you need any help locating a motor on the West Coast.

Andys
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 26 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #53

Spooling.... Please wait

Yup, 400lbs of TQ is where you start to really have hook up problems and where you can really break things. 300tq is the magical number for reliability and performance. Figure out a way to build yourself a high revving V8 with 300lbs of TQ and you have an amazing 914..

Glad you went with a Rennegade radiator setup! You'll be very very happy..

Check the classifieds for people cutting up their cars, or if its just the "AC" hole, get a 16ga flat sheet of metal, and weld it in. A little heavier than factory, however the added weight is where you need it on that car.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Aug 26 2008, 12:12 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(andys @ Aug 26 2008, 12:58 PM) *

JRust,

When considering the LSx series motors, prices variy wildly and some deals are to be had. The LS2 6.0L motor from a GTO/Vette will cost a few bucks, but it is all aluminum. If you go with an LQ9 6.0L motor from an Escalade, it has an iron block but it will be half the price. The iron block version weights 63lbs. more than the aluminum block; hard core racers prefer it over the aluminum block. An LM7 5.3L from a truck/SUV are at give away prices at the larger truck salvage yards; under $1000 and can be found with low miles all day long. If you gotta have that aluminum block, take a look at the L33 5.3L truck/SUV motor; A real sweet motor, 310HP all aluminum. In the case of the truck motors, you'll have to swap for the lower profile LS1/LS6 intake, but those are readily available on Ebay, etc. Then there are the usual crop of LS1 Camaro and LS6 Vette motors.

Andys

Andys
I bought a 5.3 aluminum truck engine with a 460le transmission complete with the harness and computer all sensors and all parts on the front of the engine. 42k miles for $550.
Don't really need it just got because of the price. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Aug 26 2008, 01:01 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Aug 26 2008, 02:12 PM) *

QUOTE(andys @ Aug 26 2008, 12:58 PM) *

JRust,

Andys

Andys
I bought a 5.3 aluminum truck engine with a 460le transmission complete with the harness and computer all sensors and all parts on the front of the engine. 42k miles for $550.
Don't really need it just got it because of the price. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

+Quote Post
andys
post Aug 26 2008, 03:13 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Aug 26 2008, 11:12 AM) *

Andys
Don't really need it just got because of the price. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

If that's in fact an L33, then that's about the best price I've ever seen!!!!!!!

Not surprised you picked it up (with the trans to boot!).

Andys
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 26 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #57

914 Guru

Yeah no rush on the motor. I am going to keep my eye's open & when I find a smokin deal I'll jump on it. Sounds like renegades setup for the LS1 is in the $2500 range for the conversion(not including the engine). Not even close to ready for that chunk. I am definately thinking down the road on that. So I'll just keep my eye's open. Anyone comes accross a deal let me know!

Like most things with my 914 it is just a matter of time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 06:26 AM