Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine Shroud
Speedmster
post Jul 3 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,132
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Engine shroud question. One is this a practical deal for a 914? This one is in a VW van. If so, where can a carbon fiber shroud like it? I am interested in a little more flare in the engine compartment. Any suggestions or steer me in the right direction please.

Clint

(IMG:http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/Speedmster/3598.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Borderline
post Jul 3 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,577
Region Association: Northern California

There's Fat Performance
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 4 2008, 10:29 AM
Post #3

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Get the new 4 Cam version from Jake Raby if you want to really dressup the engine compartment...
His DTM is nice too....
The 911 fan versions don't cool evenly as per some testing done a few years ago
+Quote Post
Speedmster
post Jul 4 2008, 10:46 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 4 2008, 12:29 PM) *

Get the new 4 Cam version from Jake Raby if you want to really dressup the engine compartment...
His DTM is nice too....
The 911 fan versions don't cool evenly as per some testing done a few years ago

That's good to know. Jake Raby? Air Cooled Technoloy?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 4 2008, 10:47 AM
Post #5

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

They work great on the engines they were intended for, but the TIV isn't one of those.

Look at that picture and you'll see that the number 2 cylinder is directly under the cooling fan, in this arrangement it gets hardly any cooling air. The same can be said for #4 and some systems make it even worse as the tangential flow of air being produced by the fan is directed clockwise, more toward the 1-2 bank. This puts #4 opposite the tangential flow as well as almost directly under the fan's discharge.

Thats not the case with cylinders 1-3 as they receive a ton of air and actually overcool. The bad part about this is the fact that the same cylinder head can have one of its cylinders overcool and the other run hotter thus increasing the differential of temperatures on the same head. This leads to heads that lose torque values and heads that can warp and not seal well.

Here is a run to the top of Loveland Pas at the Continental Divide on my R&D trip from 2006. This is a run from 5,000' up to 12,000 feet with a 180 HP MassIVe 2270cc engine being held at WOT as much as possible.

Note the temperature differentials between all 4 cylinders at full load and WOT.
(IMG:http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/crosscountry/Leg13bCHTEGT.JPG)

The 911 system has looks, but thats all it has. If you want that look, just install the engine into the car that had it from the factory.

My X4CS Carrera style cooling system will be V 3.0 of the DTM, using the DTM characteristics with a completely different look using a dual inlet fan and many attributes of the Carrera 547 4 cam engines. Release will be mid 2009
+Quote Post
Speedmster
post Jul 4 2008, 11:18 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 4 2008, 12:47 PM) *

They work great on the engines they were intended for, but the TIV isn't one of those.

Look at that picture and you'll see that the number 2 cylinder is directly under the cooling fan, in this arrangement it gets hardly any cooling air. The same can be said for #4 and some systems make it even worse as the tangential flow of air being produced by the fan is directed clockwise, more toward the 1-2 bank. This puts #4 opposite the tangential flow as well as almost directly under the fan's discharge.

Thats not the case with cylinders 1-3 as they receive a ton of air and actually overcool. The bad part about this is the fact that the same cylinder head can have one of its cylinders overcool and the other run hotter thus increasing the differential of temperatures on the same head. This leads to heads that lose torque values and heads that can warp and not seal well.

Here is a run to the top of Loveland Pas at the Continental Divide on my R&D trip from 2006. This is a run from 5,000' up to 12,000 feet with a 180 HP MassIVe 2270cc engine being held at WOT as much as possible.

The 911 system has looks, but thats all it has. If you want that look, just install the engine into the car that had it from the factory.

My X4CS Carrera style cooling system will be V 3.0 of the DTM, using the DTM characteristics with a completely different look using a dual inlet fan and many attributes of the Carrera 547 4 cam engines. Release will be mid 2009

That makes sense. You have my interest. Have any teaser pic's or drawings? I don't know what a Carrera 547 is. Is that a 356 engine?
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 4 2008, 11:22 AM
Post #7

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

the 547 is the engine type from the 356 Carrera's. They are great looking, awesome sounding and incredibly expensive!
+Quote Post
Speedmster
post Jul 4 2008, 12:58 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 4 2008, 01:22 PM) *

the 547 is the engine type from the 356 Carrera's. They are great looking, awesome sounding and incredibly expensive!

This is a 718 with a 547. Is this the same 547? I see expensive, very expensive.
(IMG:http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/Speedmster/Misc%20Folder/3480-10.jpg)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 4 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #9

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Details concerning the cooling system can be found on my forum.. Including the solid models of the shroud body, cooling fan and the basic design.
+Quote Post
Speedmster
post Jul 4 2008, 02:02 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 4 2008, 03:55 PM) *

Details concerning the cooling system can be found on my forum.. Including the solid models of the shroud body, cooling fan and the basic design.

Thanks Jake, I check it out.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 06:07 AM