Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Shroud
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Speedmster
Engine shroud question. One is this a practical deal for a 914? This one is in a VW van. If so, where can a carbon fiber shroud like it? I am interested in a little more flare in the engine compartment. Any suggestions or steer me in the right direction please.

Clint

IPB Image
Borderline
There's Fat Performance
Bleyseng
Get the new 4 Cam version from Jake Raby if you want to really dressup the engine compartment...
His DTM is nice too....
The 911 fan versions don't cool evenly as per some testing done a few years ago
Speedmster
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 4 2008, 12:29 PM) *

Get the new 4 Cam version from Jake Raby if you want to really dressup the engine compartment...
His DTM is nice too....
The 911 fan versions don't cool evenly as per some testing done a few years ago

That's good to know. Jake Raby? Air Cooled Technoloy?
Jake Raby
They work great on the engines they were intended for, but the TIV isn't one of those.

Look at that picture and you'll see that the number 2 cylinder is directly under the cooling fan, in this arrangement it gets hardly any cooling air. The same can be said for #4 and some systems make it even worse as the tangential flow of air being produced by the fan is directed clockwise, more toward the 1-2 bank. This puts #4 opposite the tangential flow as well as almost directly under the fan's discharge.

Thats not the case with cylinders 1-3 as they receive a ton of air and actually overcool. The bad part about this is the fact that the same cylinder head can have one of its cylinders overcool and the other run hotter thus increasing the differential of temperatures on the same head. This leads to heads that lose torque values and heads that can warp and not seal well.

Here is a run to the top of Loveland Pas at the Continental Divide on my R&D trip from 2006. This is a run from 5,000' up to 12,000 feet with a 180 HP MassIVe 2270cc engine being held at WOT as much as possible.

Note the temperature differentials between all 4 cylinders at full load and WOT.
IPB Image

The 911 system has looks, but thats all it has. If you want that look, just install the engine into the car that had it from the factory.

My X4CS Carrera style cooling system will be V 3.0 of the DTM, using the DTM characteristics with a completely different look using a dual inlet fan and many attributes of the Carrera 547 4 cam engines. Release will be mid 2009
Speedmster
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 4 2008, 12:47 PM) *

They work great on the engines they were intended for, but the TIV isn't one of those.

Look at that picture and you'll see that the number 2 cylinder is directly under the cooling fan, in this arrangement it gets hardly any cooling air. The same can be said for #4 and some systems make it even worse as the tangential flow of air being produced by the fan is directed clockwise, more toward the 1-2 bank. This puts #4 opposite the tangential flow as well as almost directly under the fan's discharge.

Thats not the case with cylinders 1-3 as they receive a ton of air and actually overcool. The bad part about this is the fact that the same cylinder head can have one of its cylinders overcool and the other run hotter thus increasing the differential of temperatures on the same head. This leads to heads that lose torque values and heads that can warp and not seal well.

Here is a run to the top of Loveland Pas at the Continental Divide on my R&D trip from 2006. This is a run from 5,000' up to 12,000 feet with a 180 HP MassIVe 2270cc engine being held at WOT as much as possible.

The 911 system has looks, but thats all it has. If you want that look, just install the engine into the car that had it from the factory.

My X4CS Carrera style cooling system will be V 3.0 of the DTM, using the DTM characteristics with a completely different look using a dual inlet fan and many attributes of the Carrera 547 4 cam engines. Release will be mid 2009

That makes sense. You have my interest. Have any teaser pic's or drawings? I don't know what a Carrera 547 is. Is that a 356 engine?
seanery
the 547 is the engine type from the 356 Carrera's. They are great looking, awesome sounding and incredibly expensive!
Speedmster
QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 4 2008, 01:22 PM) *

the 547 is the engine type from the 356 Carrera's. They are great looking, awesome sounding and incredibly expensive!

This is a 718 with a 547. Is this the same 547? I see expensive, very expensive.
IPB Image
Jake Raby
Details concerning the cooling system can be found on my forum.. Including the solid models of the shroud body, cooling fan and the basic design.
Speedmster
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 4 2008, 03:55 PM) *

Details concerning the cooling system can be found on my forum.. Including the solid models of the shroud body, cooling fan and the basic design.

Thanks Jake, I check it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.