Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steve's unending Progress thread, Air compressor setup recommendations
stephenaki
post May 6 2010, 05:41 AM
Post #121

Can I get this one dad??

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,987
Region Association: None

Well, after dropping off the cylinder head with a shop that specializes in aluminum and cylinder heads, I headed off to Vicenza, Italy. I got back yesterday and picked up the head and the problem with the sparkplug is now resolved. These guys filled in the hole and then re-drilled and threaded it to the correct size.

Now I just have to re-assemble the head, put it back on the motor, re-install everything, adjust valves and I should be back in business. Hopefully this weekend cause I won't have much time after this weekend with some trips planned to Africa and North Carolina the rest of this month.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post May 10 2010, 02:26 AM
Post #122

Can I get this one dad??

Axles are re-assembled and waiting to be put in, head is cleaned up and ready for re-install.

Question, will it be an issue if I put in the motor first then install the axles? It would be much easier to get the motor under the car and into place without the axles installed but I am sure if it will cause a problem when I have to put the axles back in or not. Maybe a noob question (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) , got that, any helpl is appreciated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post May 10 2010, 05:51 AM
Post #123

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

Not that I am an expert or anything, but I put my engine in first and then put
the axles in later. I had some issues fitting them around my exhaust so you
may want to check the order of those two.

John
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post May 10 2010, 07:50 AM
Post #124

Driving & working on teeners 41 years

Member No.: 9,003
Region Association: South East States

When putting together my conversion six, I had put the eng./tranny up into the car with no axles attached. I went ahead and installed the headers only to find out that the axles wouldn't go on with the headers on. Had to remove the headers to get the axles in.....It's easy to get ahead of yourself at times.....
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post May 10 2010, 10:37 AM
Post #125

Can I get this one dad??

John, JT, thanks. I will probably try to put the engine in first. It is a royal pain go get the motor in and out with the axles hanging down especially given the fact that I am tool and equipment challenged here in Deutchland. Will do that after my myriad travel adventures. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post May 31 2010, 10:00 AM
Post #126

Can I get this one dad??

Well ladies and gentlemen, after a couple of business trips I am now back and began working on the car again. I'll post some pictures later but I have the motor back in and will tackle the valve timing with other things tomorrow after work.

So, after I got the motor in and the axles hooked back up I decided to call it quits for today so I could get some dinner and do some other things. As I began to push the car back out of the garage in order to make room to get my bike back in, it wasn't rolling smoothly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

It would roll about an inch or two, stick then, after rocking it a bit, roll back some more. I could hear the piston's building up compression but that shouldn't affect it rolling in neutral should it?

Anyone have any idea what it is doing this? It feels like trying to turn the flywheel, you hit that sticking point where the piston has built up compression in the cylinder then it gives.

Would an improperly assembled CV joint do this? I am pretty sure I assembled all joints properly, I checked and rechecked before I put the joints and axles back together.

Thoughts?
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post May 31 2010, 10:25 AM
Post #127

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(stephenaki @ May 31 2010, 12:00 PM) *

...I could hear the piston's building up compression but that shouldn't affect it rolling in neutral should it?

Would an improperly assembled CV joint do this? I am pretty sure I assembled all joints properly, I checked and rechecked before I put the joints and axles back together.

CV's assembled wrong give you instant feedback, as they are locked in place and offer no angular or annular misalignment. If they moved, you're OK.

If you can feel compression as you roll, the transmission is -not- in neutral...
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post May 31 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #128

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ May 31 2010, 08:25 AM) *

QUOTE(stephenaki @ May 31 2010, 12:00 PM) *

...I could hear the piston's building up compression but that shouldn't affect it rolling in neutral should it?

CV's assembled wrong give yo instant feedback, as they are locked in place and offer no rotational or annular misalignment. If they moved. you're OK.

If you can feel compression as you roll, the transmission is -not- in neutral...

I was thinking that might be an issue, I must have somehow managed to put her in gear when I disassembled the shift rod. I will check tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback; I'm just happy I didn't dork up the CV joints.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jun 2 2010, 11:10 AM
Post #129

Can I get this one dad??

I can see the finish line! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I didn't get a chance to work on it last night; my new job actually has me doing stuff so I am back to the 12+ hour days that I was running before I got to Europe.

Nevertheless, I skated out relatively early and did some work for about an hour. Sure enough, I had the sucker in gear, amazing how smoothly she rolls when you take it out of gear! I am hoping that I can have everything but the exhaust put on by Friday.

I may post some questions on electrical connections, my weakest area, but I am going to try to figure it out first before I ask the question! If all goes well, I'll be taking her for a spin on Saturday and give her a good wash down! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jun 5 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #130

Can I get this one dad??

Well, today has been a looooooooong day. First things first, IT'S ALIVE!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
I got the muffler on this morning, hooked up the battery, checked things over and fired her up. WOOHOO! Hey why isn't the tach moving? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) hmmm, let me re-connect the 'white' wire that I and some other people thought was to the FI system. Yup, that was it, go figure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

So, I took her out for a spin and wash. Spitting oil from the crankcase at the #2 cylinder push tubes. Need to fix that. Got her back, let her cool down and sealed the living shit out of the pushrod tubes! I'll crank her up again tomorrow to see if that helped fix the oil problem. I had to do this last time as well. So here are some pictures that I am finally getting around to posting. Still more work needs to be done but as long as she is running and I get her registered, I can take my time on the minutia stuff.

Almost ready; this would be the offending Zylinder Kopf
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net-7987-1275754157.1.jpg)

The problem hole, the guys did a good job of fixing this.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net-7987-1275754158.2.jpg)

OK, time to put her back in!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net-7987-1275754160.3.jpg)

Thar she goes!!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net-7987-1275754161.4.jpg)

OH! This is why you put the axles on BEFORE you mount the motor!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net-7987-1275754162.5.jpg)

Wound up having to pull the exhaust off to get the axle back in. I re-adjusted the throttle cable as I think it was a bit tight and not letting the mechanism fully return. I will check it again tomorrow to make sure she isn't idling too high. Also need to make sure I have the clutch adjusted properly, she seems to be shifting fairly smoothly but I want to make absolutely sure. Hope to get her registered on Monday then I can relax for at least another year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jun 8 2010, 04:42 AM
Post #131

Can I get this one dad??

Rats! Failed inspection, kinda thought I might but I had hope! Yeah, I know, hope is not a method. Three problems that I have to fix, two just recently manifested themselves. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

1) Oil leak, push tubes are not the issue nor is the cylinder head cover and gasket. Will have to do more digging to find out where the oil is coming from.

2) Brakes are spongy and don't fully lock the wheels. This is the bigger concern. I will check fluid levels and then bleed them; I think maybe air is still in the lines?

3) E-Brake needs adjustment, it doesn't fully engage especially on the right hand side.

Unfortunately, I can't tackle these issues now as I head to Italy in the morning. It will have to wait until I get back. I think I will tackle the braking problem first as those issues are easier to resolve. Then I will dig into where the oil is seeping from. I'll get some pictures of the problem area when I get back and throw them up for the collective group to opine upon. Until then, I'm just gonna have to put it to the back of my thoughts and enjoy the motorcycle ride to Italy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biker.gif)

I'll be running down the Fern Pass then Timmelsjoch on the way down and running up North through Stelvio on the return. Also plan on taking a weekend trip over to Bohinj, Slovenia, this should be fun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
tradisrad
post Jun 8 2010, 07:28 AM
Post #132

Member No.: 6,815
Region Association: Northern California

for your brake issue try some Porterfield pads. what side is the oil leak coming form? The pressure sender can be a source of a hidden leak.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jun 8 2010, 09:48 AM
Post #133

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jun 8 2010, 05:28 AM) *

for your brake issue try some Porterfield pads. what side is the oil leak coming form? The pressure sender can be a source of a hidden leak.

Pads are new but I don't know the manufacturer, I'll inspect them. The oil leak is on the driver side. I thought it was originally coming out of the pushrod tubes but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'll post pictures and maybe a short vid on what she looks like when I get back.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jun 8 2010, 09:59 AM
Post #134

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

One of the thermostat bellows bolts goes straight through the case, and could be leaking.

Zach
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jun 18 2010, 01:20 AM
Post #135

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 8 2010, 07:59 AM) *

One of the thermostat bellows bolts goes straight through the case, and could be leaking.

Zach

That has been mentioned before and I will give it a check. I had hoped to work on the brakes this weekend but AAFES is out of DOT 4 brake fluid. I can get it on the economy but, instead of paying say $6 for a gallon of DOT 4 at AAFES, I would have to pay almost 30 Euro, about $35 USD for the same amount on the economy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) I think I'll wait till they get more fluid in at AAFES.

Needless to say, I guess I'll tackle the oil issue this weekend; need to get the bike into the shop as well to get a damage estimate done. Laid her down on the backside of a mountain in Italy on the trip down last week. Minor damage to me and the bike. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Wish me luck tracking the oil problem down.
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Jun 18 2010, 11:04 AM
Post #136

Member No.: 11,426

Hopefully not much damage to either you or the bike.... Any picts of your bike trip?

Dave
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 18 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #137

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You're amazing Steve. This has been a long running saga filled with drama, suspense, heartbreak, euphoria, perseverance and humor. Just one question:

When will the movie version be released? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Good luck getting to the finish line. You deserve some quality time with that 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jun 19 2010, 10:31 AM
Post #138

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(arkitect @ Jun 18 2010, 09:04 AM) *

Hopefully not much damage to either you or the bike.... Any picts of your bike trip?

Dave

I am trying to get my act together and do up a ride report; I'll post the link when I get it done. I have some pretty good pictures of the trip to Italy and my side trip to Slovenia.

Been raining all day today so haven't done much with the car; had to focus on schoolwork instead. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny...yeah right. It's June and when I walked outside this morning I could see my breath. I just love Germany weather. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jun 20 2010, 06:12 AM
Post #139

Can I get this one dad??

OK, I got out and started the car, of course she never does the leak thing when you just start it. So, I took it out for a 5 minute drive and got her good and warmed up. I am trying to load the vid I took to Youtube but they are not cooperating at the moment. Here are the pictures I took; as soon as I can upload the vid I will. I think I know where one of the leaks is coming from.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jun 20 2010, 06:13 AM
Post #140

Can I get this one dad??

Wouldn't let me upload more than two pictures; here are some more.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 04:24 AM