Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steve's unending Progress thread, Air compressor setup recommendations
stephenaki
post Mar 20 2013, 10:03 AM
Post #281

Can I get this one dad??

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,987
Region Association: None

Well, it passed the ag inspection! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) I had to do some minor wipe downs to get at some dirt but other than that, she is sitting in the outbound lot waiting for a truck to take her to Bremerhaven. From there, she heads to Portsmouth, VA on a ship and will be in on or about 6 May 2013. I told the guy I won't be in Norfolk until June but, since it is due to my deployment to Africa, it is not a problem.

The right headlight did get some water in it from my washing at the self wash. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Hopefully it dries out and works when it gets to VA. Otherwise, I'll be needing a new headlamp. For now, this thread is on hold until I get to VA and get settled. See y'all stateside soon! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jun 8 2013, 03:44 PM
Post #282

Can I get this one dad??

Well, I'm now in Norfolk, Va. We got in on the 5th and I picked the car up on the 6th. The turn signals wouldn't work and the battery was deader than a door nail. So I jumped her at the distribution center and went straight to the nearest auto store, Pep Boys, and bought a new battery.

Made it back to the hotel and took the time today to see if I can sort out the problem with the lights. Well...COROSION! the entire inside of the turn signal socket and the bulb base were green. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I cleaned it off best I could but it wasn't really enough so I will have to replace that part of the assembly but, I don't think anyone makes just that part anymore. I put in an an inquiry on a car being parted out on the forum to see if the turn signal assemblies are in good condition and still available.

Now the other problem is that the there is a short somewhere and the left light keeps popping up and down when the light knob is pushed in. Anyone have this issue before?

Then I tried to start the car, it is being difficult. No problem, I'll try again tomorrow. Basically, she didn't like the trip overseas on a boat. Guess I got my work cut out for me. Unfortunately, I don't have a garage until 20 June. Say la vie. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

+Quote Post
okieflyr
post Jun 8 2013, 06:25 PM
Post #283

9fauxteen

Member No.: 3,426
Region Association: North East States

Welcome back! I'm sure you have alot of other things going on, but at least you've got some summer to sort things out and enjoy the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jun 9 2013, 09:01 AM
Post #284

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(okieflyr @ Jun 8 2013, 04:25 PM) *

Welcome back! I'm sure you have alot of other things going on, but at least you've got some summer to sort things out and enjoy the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

I think the summer is gonna be consumed with getting settled. At least I will have a decent garage to work on the car in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jun 9 2013, 09:12 AM
Post #285

Can I get this one dad??

OK, so I went to Advanced Auto and grabbed a can of starter fluid to see if I could get her cranked over today. Nope (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

She turns but she just isn't catching. Unfortunately, I'm operating out of a hotel so don't have any tools or room to really trouble shoot things. The issue is that I won't have a car to get back and forth to work with this week so the wife will have to drop me off unless I can find someone that I can car pool in with. I'll work that angle today.

She started fine the day I picked her up, a bit rough, but started. She sat outside during a rather rough rain storm, any thoughts that water could have gotten in somewhere?

Not a big deal, I'll move her to the new house in the garage and work on her after I get my tools. Shit happens, i'm not stressing a deadline or inspection as I was in Germany. If my temp tags from Germany expire before I get her up and running that is fine, I'll register her when she is operational. Just another speed bump enroute to the final destination, annoying but not mission stopping. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Aug 15 2013, 08:21 AM
Post #286

Can I get this one dad??

OK, I got a chance to work on the car Monday then tackled it again yesterday. Long story short, I got a short somewhere in the wiring and I have no spark.

Tested the #1 plug first by pulling the plug and grounding it, no spark. I then used an inline spark tester with the plug back in the car, no light. Next used the inline tester to check the coil wire grounding it best I can, I got a light which indicates the coil is OK.

I also check the plug wire to make sure that I didn't have a break in the wire. I didn't have a specific wire tester so I did the standard ohms check with the multi-meter. Wire checked out OK.

Working backwards this would imply that the dizzy cap is bad or the rotor. Joy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

I also discovered, after I pulled the key, that the left rear tail light was on and would not shut off. When the light switch was pulled, only the right side lamp came up. Dang. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Needless to say I now know why my battery got drained but now I have the joy of troubleshooting the electrical system WHICH I AM NOT VERY GOOD AT!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Any advice from the collective before I head down this road?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 15 2013, 05:41 PM
Post #287

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Blinker left engaged becomes a parking light on forever.
See if that was it.

Check for 12vdc at the coil with the key in the run position...may be a fuse got knocked out or may be the ignition switch is broken from all the kind people that have touched your car.

Rich
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 15 2013, 06:31 PM
Post #288

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

be sure the center contact inside the cap is not worn down. it's spring loaded and when it's worn to it's limit it works sometimes, sometimes not. ask me how I know. RRC 2011 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Aug 15 2013, 06:56 PM
Post #289

Can I get this one dad??

I'll do the checks this Sunday; I'm off to the hunt club to do some maintenance work on stands, etc. I'm quite excited that I get to hunt again!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I should have the garage set up by the end of Sunday to put the the other car into the garage which will give me more room to work on the Porsche. Thanks for the input (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Oct 8 2013, 06:40 AM
Post #290

Can I get this one dad??

The madness has taken hold... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Soooo, i've been doing a lot of research and was torn between trying to find a Porsche 6 Cyl or converting to a Subi motor. I looked around for motors, both Porsche and Subaru, and found three in the VA Beach area that I can pull from junked cars. I found 0, nada, null, kein motor, for the Porsche in a salvage yard. Yes, I know I can get them on Ebay and the like but they want an arm and a leg.

So, I believe I will go with the Subaru conversion. Now, to make sure I pull everything I need, I would like some feedback. It is my understanding that when I pull the motor, I must also pull the ECU and wiring harness to replace what I currently have. Is this a correct understanding of what is required? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 8 2013, 06:42 AM
Post #291

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

SVX's are cheap. $400-2500 for a running car. There are always plenty around.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 8 2013, 07:59 AM
Post #292

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

That depends on what you use. If you go Suby you can go OEM or AM ECU. Either way you will retain some of the OG wiring. I'm using the Suby engine harness (cut 'n spliced) and Suby ECU in combination with the OG wiring. If you have room I'd suggest buying an entire donor car that runs. You can shop for several Suby's @ http://www.copart.com/c2/copart_salvage_au...car_finder.html. Find one with side or rear end damage. Avoid the head ons.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Oct 8 2013, 12:25 PM
Post #293

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 8 2013, 05:59 AM) *

That depends on what you use. If you go Suby you can go OEM or AM ECU. Either way you will retain some of the OG wiring. I'm using the Suby engine harness (cut 'n spliced) and Suby ECU in combination with the OG wiring. If you have room I'd suggest buying an entire donor car that runs. You can shop for several Suby's @ http://www.copart.com/c2/copart_salvage_au...car_finder.html. Find one with side or rear end damage. Avoid the head ons.

The pictures of the ones in VA beach look like they are primarily side or rear damage vehicles. I need to go down to their yard and have a look at them to make an initial assessment. Soooooo, what are partially converted 2.0 Type IV motors going for nowadays??? Figure I might as well sell my motor to partially finance the conversion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 8 2013, 02:00 PM
Post #294

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Yes SVXs are cheap, yet remember they are the only ones to use the EG33 motor, so after market support is not there as it is for the -4s. that being said, they are a sweet motor to have backed by a WRX 5MT. SVXs only came in autos over here. If your lucky you can find one that a person has swapped a 5MT into out of WRX already.

Get engine, all peripherals, harness, engine to ECU harness, ECU. If its a WRX grab the 5MT out of it also. Get the CVs and axles, anything else you think you might need. If you can get a whole clip that is always nice. I guess if you going 2.5 you can also grab the tranny, depending on the model and year they can have a very low final drive, and a short 5th gear.

My self, I looked in Craigslist, got a SVX, picked up a 5MT out of KY, and then grabbed another EG33 out of another yard. All told I have a 2K in this setup with a running SVX, that is currently my daily. Only issue is I really like the SVX, it is a fine driver. Even at the 1000 price point, it is still plenty fun every day. I am looking at finding another 5MT to put in the SVX. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Oct 8 2013, 02:27 PM
Post #295

Can I get this one dad??

OK, so the VA Beach pick and pull yard has two Subaru's.

1997 Legacy wagon with a 2.5L H4 motor
1992 Legacy sedan with a 2.2L H4 motor

Cost for motor and all accessories roughly $200-250.

I'm leaning towards the 2.5L motor, thoughts from the collective?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 8 2013, 03:29 PM
Post #296

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The 2.5s evidently love to blow head gaskets... And a huge PITA if/when they do.

--DD
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Oct 8 2013, 04:27 PM
Post #297

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 8 2013, 01:29 PM) *

The 2.5s evidently love to blow head gaskets... And a huge PITA if/when they do.

--DD

hmm, I'll have to look that bit of info up before making a decision, thanks Dave.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Oct 8 2013, 06:28 PM
Post #298

Can I get this one dad??

OK, while I'm having these maddening thoughts...could I pull the entire power train, motor and tranny, from the legacy and convert the tranny to RWD?

I have been perusing many of the threads that talk about the conversion from an AWD to RWD tranny vice an adapter kit for the subi to 901 requirement. Since I have a tail shifter, I would think that the Subi conversion would shift better than my current set up.

Thoughts? Is this a bridge too far? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 8 2013, 06:37 PM
Post #299

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 8 2013, 05:29 PM) *

--DD

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Dave, you remember when your type-4 dropped a valve seat. That was also a PITA was it not.

Point being not to give Dave to much crap for his issues, we have all had them, its part of owning mechanical devices. I would go 2.5L, easier to find parts as the 2.2s are getting a little older.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 8 2013, 06:39 PM
Post #300

QUOTE(stephenaki @ Oct 8 2013, 08:28 PM) *

OK, while I'm having these maddening thoughts...could I pull the entire power train, motor and tranny, from the legacy and convert the tranny to RWD?

I have been perusing many of the threads that talk about the conversion from an AWD to RWD tranny vice an adapter kit for the subi to 901 requirement. Since I have a tail shifter, I would think that the Subi conversion would shift better than my current set up.

Thoughts? Is this a bridge too far? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Answer is do it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) you will regret it latter if you don't.
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 01:05 AM