Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 20 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steve's unending Progress thread, Air compressor setup recommendations
Dave_Darling
post Nov 12 2013, 09:42 AM
Post #341

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Could also be a fried Pertronix, then. Those seem to be a wee bit fragile. Especially if the power is left on without the engine running.

--DD
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Nov 12 2013, 11:17 AM
Post #342

Can I get this one dad??

Member No.: 7,987
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 12 2013, 07:42 AM) *

Could also be a fried Pertronix, then. Those seem to be a wee bit fragile. Especially if the power is left on without the engine running.

--DD

I started thinking down that line. It seems to be one that is 'riveted' vice screwed in so not sure if that is easy to replace or not. Guess I'll read up on how to trouble shoot the sucker after I check everything else. Or maybe check the petronix first? Either way, I'll figure it out eventually.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Nov 12 2013, 04:38 PM
Post #343

Can I get this one dad??

OK, so, got home and checked the coil before I ran any continuity tests. I got spark from the coil. I am pretty sure that the electronic ignitor is the issue. Pulled the cap and took a look, hmm, doesn't look like a Petronix to me. Pull it, nope, ain't a Petronix and I have NO CLUE who the hell makes it.

I'll pick up a Petronix kit this week and see how she does, hopefully this resolves the issue.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 12 2013, 07:23 PM
Post #344

914 Idiot

Try a set of points so you can at least keep troubleshooting.

--DD
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Nov 13 2013, 07:21 AM
Post #345

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 12 2013, 05:23 PM) *

Try a set of points so you can at least keep troubleshooting.

--DD

Hadn't thought of that. I am not totally sure that the distributor has all the parts needed to convert it back to the standard points system. I know I need a set of points and a condenser which I can get at O'reilly's.

Don't suppose anyone has a good set of pictures of the components so I can make sure I have what I need to retro-fit the dizzy, anyone? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 13 2013, 12:29 PM
Post #346

914 Idiot

How's this one?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/engi...ributor_big.htm

--DD
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Nov 13 2013, 02:04 PM
Post #347

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 13 2013, 10:29 AM) *

Doesn't look ANYTHING like mine! I have a 009 version. This aside, I can use that link with some other things I found to re-assemble the dizzy.

I tore it down today and, after removing the contact plate and pulling the shaft and advance mechanism, found this...
Attached Image
See anything missing? Maybe another spring on the other part of the advance weights???? Sooooo, isn't there supposed to be two springs?? I'll wait for someone who re-builds these things to chime in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Nov 16 2013, 01:18 PM
Post #348

Can I get this one dad??

Well, my wife gave me whatever she had so I feel like hell. So what do I do? Take drugs and work on the teener of course! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Probably not one of my better ideas as I lost the dang distributor drive spring in the motor while I was lining up the gear. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Sometimes you're the hammer and sometimes, you're the nail. I get to be the nail today. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Needless to say, I'm gonna have to now drop the motor to see if I can find the dang spring unless someone has any better ideas. I guess I could drain the oil and pull the pan and see if it made it's way all the way through. Anyone got any suggestions?

On the flipside, I did finish the distributor re-furbishment. She looks a lot better than when I started.
BEFORE:
Attached ImageAttached Image

AFTER
Attached ImageAttached Image

I think I'll watch a movie for a bit and wait for the frau to get home.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Nov 27 2013, 07:55 AM
Post #349

Can I get this one dad??

Well, after nearly two weeks I am finally almost normal with the exception of a lingering cough that I am trying to get over. Haven't gotten much done with the teener other than put the back up on jacks to take some measurements. I read through Andys LS1 Retrospective build thread and saw the jack adapter he made to lower and raise the motor. Soooo, I am going to now build one of those. I have a source of square tubing that I can get what I need at BMG so now all I have to do is get an Oxyacetylene setup since that is what I have been doing in class for the last 3 months.

I will take TIG next semester as well as finally start down the automotive program path. Since my wife is concerned about 'safety' she let me spend a bit more on a helmet for the next course.
Attached Image
Its a Miller Digital Performance Series helmet so will do the trick and allow me a lot of flexibility.

I've got to drop the motor and trans so I have them out before February's clinic in Richmond with Mike so may get it all done over the holiday season. I'm going to add an Oxyactlene cutting/heating & welding rig to my Christmas list for the wife to get me. I have already done up the plans for the motor jack adapter, I just need the rig to weld it all together. Looking at using 1 1/2 inch square tube 1/8 thick for the adapter. This will be my first project with the welding rig. Second and third will be a gun vise to sight in my rifles and an engine stand. I plan on having the motor tuned and running BEFORE I put it back in the car this time!

I'll also be converting over to the side shift so will do some modifications before I put the motor in however, I will use a MIG for that one. My buddy has a MIG that should work for what I want to do. Guess I'll have to roll the car out of the garage so I have room to work on the motor once it is out. I have a cover but it sucks, I think I'll put a good tarp over the cover to keep it out of the elements. Here we go again! I think this is the 5th or 6th time I have had the motor out of the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) With any luck, the spring will flush to the sump and come out there so I don't have to pull the whole motor apart...yeah, right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I have yet to be that lucky with this car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 27 2013, 08:32 AM
Post #350

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

for storing outdoors, go to the auto parts store and buy a DRI-Z-AIR and place the whole thing in a bucket on the floor of the car. check and pour off the water every 1 or 2 weeks. basically moisture absorbing crystals in their own little catch basin device. use the bucket as you'll likely forget to empty the basin and enough water will collect and over fill. as stated in the instructions the 'water' will be "corrosive" so the bucket is pretty important.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Nov 27 2013, 09:06 AM
Post #351

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 27 2013, 06:32 AM) *

for storing outdoors, go to the auto parts store and buy a DRI-Z-AIR and place the whole thing in a bucket on the floor of the car. check and pour off the water every 1 or 2 weeks. basically moisture absorbing crystals in their own little catch basin device. use the bucket as you'll likely forget to empty the basin and enough water will collect and over fill. as stated in the instructions the 'water' will be "corrosive" so the bucket is pretty important.

hmm, I'll have to see where I can find this stuff, wonder how well it would work in my gun safe... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 27 2013, 09:10 AM
Post #352

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

actually, i found the ones i have at my local hardware store when they were on sale. over time the crystals dissolve and you have to add new. i have one of the units in my truck that's stored under a tarp.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jan 19 2014, 07:45 PM
Post #353

Can I get this one dad??

I finally got around to dropping the motor and tranny. I wanted to build a lift adapter but just ran out of time so I improvised and used my motorcycle lift on one end and my jack on the other to achieve the same thing without having to 'walk' the car up on the left and right. It worked.
Attached Image
As one can see the tranny is pretty tore up, I think they left the car on the top of the ship when they shipped it from Germany. Case in point, all 6 *&^%^$##%^& bolts snapped off when I went to remove the muffler!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) They were rusted solid! If I can't extract them then I guess I'll be getting a new muffler.

I drained the oil and, after I help my buddy with his transmission tomorrow, we have to replace the 2 and 4 band on his Chevy tranny, I'll start to tear into the motor. I figure She needs to be cleaned up so I'll just tear it all the way down and rebuild her...again. Besides, I'll need to do quite a bit of work on the body to get it ready for the conversion to a side shifter. Might as well start now. Maybe I'll eventually take it up to Scotty B's to have him shoot it. We'll see.

I still intend to build an engine test stand that I can throw the Teener motor, MG motor and big ole V8 Merc motor on. I got my oxy welding kit in, just need to get some cylinders with fuel and material and off I go!

In the meantime, I will clean up this tranny along with the newly acquired side shifter in prep for Mike's clinic in Feb. Should be a good time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jan 31 2014, 08:24 AM
Post #354

Can I get this one dad??

Soo, I was thinking, 'a dangerous pastime I know...' Everytime I would pull the valve cover retaining bars off to check valve timing they would take paint off of the valve covers.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep this from happening? Slather in petroleum jelly before I pull off and push back on?
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Feb 10 2014, 09:11 AM
Post #355

Can I get this one dad??

Well, after a full weekend at Dr. Evil's transmission clinic, the side shift gearbox is ready to go. I kept the bell housing portion of the donor trans and will be cutting that off and setting it up to be a future mounting bracket for the engine stand and engine test stand.
Attached Image
Donor innards on the left

Attached Image
Dr. Evil mentoring his hapless victims

Attached Image
She is ready to go back in

Attached Image
WOOHOO! It is back together

Still need to finish tearing down the motor to fish out the dizzy spring and, as luck would have it, I may be getting lucky with a 2.0 core set of heads from Mike (Mblizzard) who I met at the clinic. Hopefully they are workable so I can do a complete transfer to a 2.0 motor. Speaking of conversions...the current set up has Delorto IDF 40 single barrel carbs, would it be better for power and a smoother running motor to transfer to Webers? Thoughts on this? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 10 2014, 11:21 AM
Post #356

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(stephenaki @ Feb 10 2014, 07:11 AM) *

Still need to finish tearing down the motor to fish out the dizzy spring and, as luck would have it, I may be getting lucky with a 2.0 core set of heads from Mike (Mblizzard) who I met at the clinic. Hopefully they are workable so I can do a complete transfer to a 2.0 motor. Speaking of conversions...the current set up has Delorto IDF 40 single barrel carbs, would it be better for power and a smoother running motor to transfer to Webers? Thoughts on this? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Since you're obviously a glutton for punishment and have a high tolerance for detail and frustration...go back to djet. Once you've got it sorted out it will give the best performance, economy and reliability. And, until you have it sorted out, you can keep us entertained with your new adventure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Feb 10 2014, 11:52 AM
Post #357

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 10 2014, 09:21 AM) *

Since you're obviously a glutton for punishment and have a high tolerance for detail and frustration...go back to djet. Once you've got it sorted out it will give the best performance, economy and reliability. And, until you have it sorted out, you can keep us entertained with your new adventure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I thought about that but the cost for the ECU is a bit high unless you got one for a steal ya wanna give me...that works! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 10 2014, 03:45 PM
Post #358

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(stephenaki @ Feb 10 2014, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 10 2014, 09:21 AM) *

I thought about that but the cost for the ECU is a bit high unless you got one for a steal ya wanna give me...that works! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I haven't priced out ECUs but it surprises me that they are pricey; what with all the ones that have been pulled out for carb conversions. What is the going price for a djet setup these days?
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Feb 11 2014, 07:37 AM
Post #359

Can I get this one dad??

I haven't priced out ECUs but it surprises me that they are pricey; what with all the ones that have been pulled out for carb conversions. What is the going price for a djet setup these days?

For a used one I have seen anything from $450 to $850 on Evil bay. The $850 unit didn't even have the ECU as part of the set up! I'll probably just run the Dellorto's for the near future and keep an eye out for a reasonable 2.0 FI system. The last time I went down that road I had to threaten someone with a law suit as they got my money and never gave me the parts.

When I sent the individual a note that I would be stopping by to file the suit in his town while on TDY from Germany, the money suddenly showed back up in my Paypal account.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Feb 18 2014, 11:54 AM
Post #360

Can I get this one dad??

Sooooooooo....my fellow instructor, colleague and gearhead is replacing his Accel Gen 6 EFI with a Gen 7 and will sell me the Gen 6 with harness for probably a $100 or so. I have NO experience with FI systems other than the one in my 78 Merc which is a mechanical CIS.

So, the question is, who has experience with this set up, what type of fuel injectors would work with this setup and what else is needed to convert it all over to an EFI?

My understanding, which is usually wrong, is that the stock FIs won't work well with the newer EFI systems. This being said, I am under the assumption that I would have to find an aftermarket setup that would work with a programmable EFI system to include intake manifold and all associated sensors.

Can anyone point me to a good discussion on converting over to an aftermarket EFI system? I have a feeling I will have to set up what I have in the current carb configuration and slowly build the components to transfer it over to EFI.
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 06:31 AM