Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steve's unending Progress thread, Air compressor setup recommendations
r_towle
post Dec 17 2014, 06:38 PM
Post #381

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

European Motorwerks in CA.

Rich
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Dec 18 2014, 10:34 AM
Post #382

Can I get this one dad??

Member No.: 7,987
Region Association: None

Thanks Rich! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Found them, I will get them on order later today.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 17 2014, 04:38 PM) *

European Motorwerks in CA.

Rich

+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Dec 19 2014, 01:24 PM
Post #383

Can I get this one dad??

OK, so, I stopped by the machine shop and got smart on the valve guides and, thanks to Rich Towle, got new ones on order. Now we wait for them to come in so we can get the heads finished up and the cylinder's honed and cleaned up.

In the meantime, I need to run by autozone, advance or O'Reilly's to find the VHT brand primer that was mentioned. I talked to the people at the Sherwin Williams store and they don't get VHT in much. They recommended the auto stores so, I'm gonna go hit them up.

Now that the bike is back together I can focus on the teener and try to get her back together. Since it will probably be a bit before I can re-assemble her I may tackle the brakes and finish rehabbing those suckers. Might as well, they need to get done anyway.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jan 14 2015, 11:47 AM
Post #384

Can I get this one dad??

Piston rings! OK, I have the 94mm pistons, don't need any oversize rings just a standard set. PP has a single set for $22, Rock auto has two sets, one for $8 and the other for $15 but, I can't figure out which set is for a 94mm as Goetze has them for 80mm as well. Finally, I found a set of 4 for $29 from AA performance products. Anyone have any recommendations and the dang Goetze part number for the 94mm rings? PP doesn't show you the manufacturer part number. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jan 14 2015, 12:30 PM
Post #385

Can I get this one dad??

Never mind! Didn't have a choice as PP were the only ones I could find who had them in stock!
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Jan 14 2015, 01:54 PM
Post #386

Member No.: 16,283
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You can buy Hastings rings from:

Type 4 store - Way over priced, and they actually have a $50 minimum order if you can believe it..... Sorry but that is pathetic.

European Motor Works - Great guys, much more available than is listed on website.

Perfect Engine.com - Best price ( 1/2 cost of others)

I tried unsuccessfully to get the Hastings, several other brands available, but I prefer Hastings. US made, great quality control.

Due to being a ham fisted maroon, I had to order a second set of the Hastings #3402. I see you needed 94mm, I have 96mm, but if anyone needs, I have some rings left over....
+Quote Post
Valy
post Jan 15 2015, 02:25 PM
Post #387

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

Hope you don't find this out the hard way but, the original pistons had metric sized ring grooves and some aftermarket pistons have SAE sized grooves. This is regardless of the piston diameter that is always metric.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jan 16 2015, 04:15 PM
Post #388

Can I get this one dad??

Got the Goetze rings so we should be good to go. If I have to replace them again, I hope not anytime soon, I'll look at the other sites you mentioned Steve.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jun 2 2015, 11:33 AM
Post #389

Can I get this one dad??

Soo, it's been a long while since posting anything. I am currently two weeks out from my move to TN. I put the MG and Teener into a storage unit yesterday and today I am working to make the movers mad by loading a tuff box with Porsche parts! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Had to take a break as a major lightning and thunderstorm came through and I didn't want to be in the garage with the door open when it hit. I'm back at it but needed to check a couple of things first.

I think the plan at this time is to focus on the MG when I get settled, then, tear the Teener completely down and do a ground up resto on her. The MG just needs some minor motor work, mostly clean up and some head work, then assembly. The Teener needs a lot more so I will put her on hold until I can concentrate on getting her done right the first time.

Now, I just need to find a job and a place to settle... Amazon is not dead yet and I go into the second round of interviews shortly and Oracle is courting me as well. I'm also trying to find something in the Knoxville area so we will see what happens. Good thing I got a retirement paycheck from Uncle Sam. It ain't much but it will work for now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jan 13 2016, 05:13 PM
Post #390

Can I get this one dad??

I'mmmm baaaaaaack! Well kinda. We got to lovely Knoxville, TN shortly after I retired from the Army and I got roped into helping Herr Blizzard with Okteenerfest 2015. I had a lot of fun though.

So after searching for a job and doing a short stint with Academy Sports out of pure boredom we decided that this is where we are going to put down roots. So far the new year has started with a bang.

We bought a house that we close on in February and, I found a real job managing a couple of projects in the Oak Ridge, TN area. Now I am in the midst of getting ready for our next and FINAL move to a house that I intend to stay in until I die! No more will I pick up and move after a couple of years as I left that life behind when I took off the uniform. I guess I better update my signature. I'm also looking at four post lifts to install in my rather large garage so I can stack and work on cars.

I have conscripted Herr Blizzard into coming with me to VA to pick up the Teener and my MG and we shall bring it back to Knoxville where it is then a mad rush to get it up and running before Okteenerfest 2016. This being said, if anyone finds themselves in the Knoxville, TN area please look me up and we'll have a beer together. Or wine, or scotch, whatever it takes to get you to help work on my car... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'll start updating this thread more once I get the Teener back and start putting her back together. BANZAI!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 13 2016, 06:14 PM
Post #391

Custom Member

Have you looked into ORNL?
Big lab, lots of projects.

Rich
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jan 14 2016, 06:18 AM
Post #392

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 13 2016, 04:14 PM) *

Rich

Rich,
Yeah, but right now they are only looking for engineers and scientists. The gig I got right now will be nice as it is pure PM work using MS Project and Primavera which will give me a lot of civilian experience. The last PM was let go as he was only a paper pusher vice an actual leader and manager, there is a lot that I will have to do to get this project straight but I'm looking forward to the challenge. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

By the way, if y'all are looking, I have a 17 year MI vet that is gonna start classes on cyber security that is looking for something better than Academy Sports. He might be a good fit for that industry, he got out as a Major after he got married to keep from getting a divorce and ironically made it only two years before he had a divorce. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Very proactive and aggressive which of course gets him in trouble as he is far smarter and way more organized than the current management at the store I did my stint at.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jan 14 2016, 06:50 AM
Post #393

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(stephenaki @ Jan 14 2016, 07:18 AM) *

Rich

Rich,
Yeah, but right now they are only looking for engineers and scientists. The gig I got right now will be nice as it is pure PM work using MS Project and Primavera which will give me a lot of civilian experience. The last PM was let go as he was only a paper pusher vice an actual leader and manager, there is a lot that I will have to do to get this project straight but I'm looking forward to the challenge. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

By the way, if y'all are looking, I have a 17 year MI vet that is gonna start classes on cyber security that is looking for something better than Academy Sports. He might be a good fit for that industry, he got out as a Major after he got married to keep from getting a divorce and ironically made it only two years before he had a divorce. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Very proactive and aggressive which of course gets him in trouble as he is far smarter and way more organized than the current management at the store I did my stint at.

He got out 3 years shy of twenty to avoid a divorce and ended up divorced anyway? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Stephen, I'll send you a PM with my contact info. Don't have anything immediate but always looking.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jan 14 2016, 07:49 AM
Post #394

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jan 14 2016, 04:50 AM) *

Rich

Rich,

He got out 3 years shy of twenty to avoid a divorce and ended up divorced anyway? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Stephen, I'll send you a PM with my contact info. Don't have anything immediate but always looking.

Yeah, not only that, he would have been considered for LTC the year he got out and probably would have gotten selected. I think he is still kicking himself for that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 14 2016, 07:16 PM
Post #395

Custom Member

Rich

Rich,

Send him my email address.
I will hook him up to a few recruiters that are looking.

Rich
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Mar 16 2016, 02:44 PM
Post #396

Can I get this one dad??

OK, let's try again, my computer just up and restarted on me so I lost what I had typed earlier. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Anyway, I've been a bit busy with the new job and purchase of a new house. We closed on the house about 2 1/2 weeks ago and have been trying to get organized with a ton of deliveries. Furniture, appliances, household goods that were in storage, etc.

It hasn't helped that the two projects that I manage were complete basket cases when I took them over because the previous Project Manager was a useless dirtbag! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Makes it hard to organize a house when you have to spend all your time cleaning up work issues.

Nevertheless, it is slowly coming around but the garage is still a bit of a mess.
Attached Image
Look! My tool chest! But, I can't get to it!

Attached Image
Thar be 914 parts in that there mess!

This weekend the goal is to tear out the closets you see in the picture so I can make space for the 4 post lift. Once I get that done I can organize tools and equipment then go and get the Teener and MG from VA. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Once that is done, time to get the Teener running for Okteenerfest! Or at least that is the goal. That may be hard to do as I just got a note that I'm being offered a Program Manager position based in Florida. If that comes through, I'll be doing a lot of traveling and won't have near as much freedom as I do now. Add to this that I will probably find myself moving to the St. Petersburg area in about a year... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

So much for our 'forever home.' Oh well, we'll see what happens, I'll just have to find a new house with lots of room for the cars and bikes again if we wind up moving. Rest assured, I'll be pinging our Florida members if things go that direction.

+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 16 2016, 05:14 PM
Post #397

Custom Member

I am supposed to remember this from January?
I cant remember what I did last week....

Might want to hold off on remodeling....just saying.

Also, that wall might be structural, so proceed accordingly.

Rich
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Mar 17 2016, 02:25 PM
Post #398

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 16 2016, 03:14 PM) *

I am supposed to remember this from January?
I cant remember what I did last week....

Might want to hold off on remodeling....just saying.

Also, that wall might be structural, so proceed accordingly.

Rich

Naw, push come to shove, I'll tear down the lift and move it with me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

As far as the wall, it's not load bearing. The previous owner added it in after the fact. He used to have a boat that went all the way to the back but when he got rid of it, he built the two closets.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 17 2016, 10:19 PM
Post #399

Custom Member

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/givemebeer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/givemebeer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/givemebeer.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Mar 18 2016, 07:14 PM
Post #400

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 17 2016, 08:19 PM) *

Yup, tear down starts tomorrow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:32 PM