Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steve's unending Progress thread, Air compressor setup recommendations
stephenaki
post Jan 15 2009, 08:40 AM
Post #41

Can I get this one dad??

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,987
Region Association: None

The bearings are in and they fit! The crank is re-assembled, were ready to rock and roll baby!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I got the rod bearings in yesterday and took them out to Christoph at lunch today along with the distributor drive gear Circlip (it was hiding in the packing popcorn of the box that I had the old crank in). So, while I was there, we checked fitment of the rod bearings...perfect and then Christoph began the crank re-assembly while I stood by and observed.

OK, everything says "press" this off, "press" this on...yada, yada, yada. So far none of the Germans that I have worked with have used a press. They used a puller to get the drive gear and timing gear off and then Christoph brought out a high speed heat gun, big ass adjustable wrench and soft face hammer to put the gears back on. They also had the Porsche 914 factory book out and used it as a reference to make sure they put things back together correctly.

Unfortunately, they got the timing gear on the wrong side forward the first time and had to pull the gear and redo it. Christoph did offer to give me the factory book to use for motor re-assembly but between this forum, my Haynes and the other books I have I think I should be good. Besides, mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut und, I would spend more time translating than actually working on the car.

I plan on laying everything out and setting up my workspace tomorrow but wont' be able to get to re-assembly until probably next weekend as I head to Oberamergau to go skiing and snowboarding this weekend. Will try to get a picture of everything layed out tomorrow time permitting. Its been almost a full year from the time I picked the car up in Sicily, Italy and this adventure began. Hopefully I will be able to close the first chapter by the end of February and have her on the road. Wish me luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jan 16 2009, 05:38 AM
Post #42

Can I get this one dad??

Finally got around to getting some pictures of the powder coating work that I had done on the tin. The color is Ferarri red for most of it with the push tubes being high temp flat black.

(IMG:http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/stephenaki/Porsche%20914/CIMG2877.jpg)

(IMG:http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/stephenaki/Porsche%20914/CIMG2877.jpg)

(IMG:http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/stephenaki/Porsche%20914/CIMG2878.jpg)

(IMG:http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/stephenaki/Porsche%20914/CIMG2881.jpg)

Will take the crankcase halves in this afternoon for a final steam cleaning and wrap them up until I start assembly.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jan 25 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #43

Can I get this one dad??

Progress is being made, slow, deliberate and educational but progress never the less. So Friday evening I cleaned up all the case bolts by soaking them in simple green then brushing them with a toothbrush and brass wire brush. Also soaked them in Evaporust to get any rust off them and treat them.

Saturday I got the crankshaft assembled with the rods mounted and properly torqued. I spent the rest of the day reading, researching and taking daughter to a birthday party so didn't get to do much more other than set the garage up for assembly. A picture of the assembled crank.

(IMG:http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/stephenaki/Porsche%20914/CIMG2889.jpg)
Put it together in the basement.

After a posting and some answers I was ready to start assembly...oh wait, I don't have a stand that will fit it. Crap, not only was my stand occupied but it wouldn't work for the Porsche motor. So, after some careful thought I chose the redneck solution and built a stand out of 2x2s.
(IMG:http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/stephenaki/Porsche%20914/CIMG2891.jpg)
Its actually sitting on oil absorbing material which is set on a furniture mover! Simple and efficient only one problem. I built it for the wrong case half! Dangit! Well, I don't have time to re-build another one so...we move to contingency plan 'b' or what I call the 'ghetto redneck' solution.
(IMG:http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/stephenaki/Porsche%20914/CIMG2893.jpg)
Just grab the scrap 2x2 wood, turn the original redneck stand around and carefully place things and...wella!

Thus began the insertion of the bearings, lube, etc. OK, lining up the #1 and 4 crank bearings with the dowel rod is easier said than done. After initial assembly with what I thought was a properly lined up bearing I turned the crank. Didn't turn easy, maybe it's just this type of motor? So, post another question about turn resistance, sit, contemplate, get annoyed, go back out and pull the case apart again and start over!

This time I took off the bearings, placed them in the case and then made alignment tics on the bearing and case. This time when the crank went in my son and I lined up the tick marks before putting the case back on. Finger tighten the nuts and bolts, spin the crank. BEAUTY!! Spun much easier, clearly didn't have the bearings lined up to the dowel pin correctly the first go around. Finished torquing the case bolts and nuts and called it a day. Covered the motor with plastic to keep dust out and closed up the garage.

Would have liked to do more but it was 33 degrees here in Stuttgart and my little heater couldn't keep up. Besides the outlet in the garage and the light don't work very well. Landlord paid the lowest bidder to wire the place so it tends to flip the breaker consistently. Well before I close this out, one last picture. My son Alex with his broken wrist; he broke it snowboarding last weekend which kinda set back his basic training date for the air force.
(IMG:http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/stephenaki/Porsche%20914/CIMG2895.jpg)

Hopefully I can slap on the pistons and cylinders next weekend and finish most of it off. Have to check endplay of the crank but will need to get a dial gauge as the autocraft shop here doesn't have one. I feel better now that I am moving closer to finishing the engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Feb 15 2009, 10:57 AM
Post #44

Can I get this one dad??

OK, so, after discussion and reading on deck height and some other things I made some progress today. Unfortunately, not as far as I wanted as I was missing some washers. So, I will head out to Boxter tomorrow and get some cylinder head stud nuts and washers.

Still, I got the pistons and cylinders in and heads on along with the oil pump. Of course I had to roll the motor into the living room in the house to do it but it got done. It was a balmy 20 degrees here this morning and there was no way I was going to work in the garage without heat! Good thing the wife had errands to run but she still came back to a bit of a mess that I cleaned up later on. So for those interested, some photos. Yes, that's a Dora the explorer backpack in the background. Had to move the daughters table and chairs out of the way!

(IMG:http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/stephenaki/Porsche%20914/IMG_0237.jpg)

(IMG:http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/stephenaki/Porsche%20914/IMG_0239.jpg)

(IMG:http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/stephenaki/Porsche%20914/IMG_0243.jpg)

(IMG:http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/stephenaki/Porsche%20914/IMG_0242.jpg)

+Quote Post
stephenaki
post May 7 2009, 11:14 AM
Post #45

Can I get this one dad??

Well, did you ever get the feeling the automotive gods gazed down on you and with a twinkle in their omnipotent eyes and smirk they say..."he is not worthy, smite him and cause him pain!!" Yep, I would be the ire of which they speak, the sliver in their finger, the thorn in their side, the fly in their chardonay...

So, I finally got the endplay worked out and had the case cleaned as well as the broken oil dipstick tube removed. The plan was to assemble today, drop off at Christoph's tomorrow and pick up a running car upon my return from Scotland. Well, we have a saying in the Army, maybe I have said it before, I can't remember but, it is simply, "no plan survives first contact." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

This is why we develop contingency plans, branches and sequels...That may work in tactical operations but it doesn't do so well with motor assembly. I came home at lunch, cut the grass and then slapped in the crank and put the two case halves together to check end play. Now, my son is now gone, he is probably getting yelled at right now by a drill sergeant so I don't have a second set of hands to help me out. No problem, carefully line up the bearings, check to make sure they are in the correct position, feels good, looks good, must be good! NOT! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Crank turns easily and the bearings don't rotate. I am positive number 3 and number 4 are seated and number 1 isn't moving either. Put on the other half and torque the 6 thru bolts. Damn, she doesn't turn! Hell! now what. OK, don't panic, loosen the nuts, take the case apart and make sure things are seated correctly.

hmm, crank still won't turn, damn, I gotta go back to work. Will check when I get back.

So back to work, leave at about 1500 and head home to work on the motor. Pull the crank out of the case, dang, the #1 bearing is stuck! This isn't good, well a little tapping and she comes off. Inspect the crank, no burrs or any damage, inspect the bearing, dang its damage! You can see where its pushed in just a bit and an edge flat. What the hell just happened?! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Well it took me a bit until I figured it out, well, I hadn't noticed it before but there is small hole right next to the dowel pin hole that is just a bit shallower but the same diameter as the dowel pin. Sooooo, when I was checking to see if the bearing was seated it was in the shallow hole and not the correct dowel pin hole. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Because of this when I put the case together and torqued it down the pin pushed the bearing in. Guess I need a new #1 bearing. I can't seem to catch a break on this car! It's a good thing I have become much more patient as I got older or I would have probably torched the car and motor by now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

So, tomorrow, since I have off, I will be scrambling to find a new #1 bearing. If I can find one then I can get the motor assembled and get it to Christoph's shop Saturday morning. If not, I'll get it on order and put it together when I get back from Scotland. I will run over to the VW dealer in the morning and see what they can do for me. Wish me luck! In the meantime, I'm gonna drink me a Belgium beer and clean the house so I don't have to do it tomorrow before I depart. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jun 10 2009, 11:20 AM
Post #46

Can I get this one dad??

Well, after a couple of weeks and a motorcycle trip to Scotland and back I'm back on track to finishing the motor. I received the new set of crank bearings yesterday from Type IV and got a chance to fit everything together today.

I would have done it yesterday but, I was a bit immobile. I pulled my lower back out of wack at the gym so couldn't really do much other than hobble around and lay around. When the bearings came in it was a bit of a slap in the face as the box looked at me and said, 'HA, WHATCHA GONNA DO ABOUT IT BROKE DICK!!!!' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

Well, what I did about it was go see the Doc on post who proceeded to unpretzel me with some chiropractic type moves. He said my spine and miscellaneous bones were out of wack and he proceeded to correct that.

It wasn't until I left the office though and stuck the Tens machine on me that the pain went away and I was able to actually do shit! WOOHOO!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) First things first, check to make sure the bearings are the right size! Yep, now, put the half up with the dowel rods and fit all the bearings properly then mark them!

After that I spent the next couple of hours hand cleaning the mating surfaces and transferring some studs from the old case halves to the new one. Once everything was cleaned up and dry I began to assemble the case with bearings to check endplay. This time I make sure everything was lined up and the crank spun freely before I torqued it down.

That went well but had to have the wife help me get the assembled case down from the work bench. Normally an easy task for me but not when you have a hurt lower back and don't want to re-injure it.

Slapped on three shims, thick ones all at .38mm, torqued the flywheel down and took some measurements. .004mm WOOHOO!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) I didn't mess with it anymore but I have more shims than I can shake a stick at in some smaller sizes so all I have to do now is mix and match till I get the right measurement. I will do this tomorrow but sitting on the ground made my back sore so stopped for today.

Hopefully things will go well tomorrow and I can start final assembly; keep your fingers crossed!
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jun 12 2009, 01:49 PM
Post #47

Can I get this one dad??

Well, after a full day the motor is 98% complete! Why not a 100%? Because the &*&(*&^%$# valve adjustment screw on the #2 cylinder exhaust valve busted!!! I swear their is some mischievous Menehune (Hawaiian Leprechaun) running around my place just mucking things up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Well, be that as it may, he will not defeat me, if nothing else I'm a persistent SOB and will never surrender to defeat! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

So, I just finished installing the shims, and flywheel with the seal and put in the front seal as well. I only got the #1 cylinder valve clearance adjusted before the #2 cylinder valve screw issue.

I loaded her up into the van along with the tin and remaining parts and will take it over to Boxter tomorrow to have them finish it up. Not much has to be done but they can get it done faster than I can.

I'm thinking when I get my MG finished and tear the 914 down for a complete resto of doing a subie conversion or just forking out the dough and getting a motor from Jake. Depends on where I am at in the next few years. In the meantime, I am hoping Christoph and his crew can get it up and running by the end of next week. Stay tuned for more 914 follies! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jul 10 2009, 11:37 AM
Post #48

Can I get this one dad??

Hot damn! After almost about a year and a half she is back up and running! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I called Christoph on Monday and the motor was running great, he was finalizing some brake details and plumbing the heat exchanger system and told me it should be done today.

I called him today, yup, she's done! Couldn't pick her up yet though as he was waiting for the TUV to get me the historical certification so I can be exempt from the Umwelt laws.

So, I am to call him tomorrow to see if the TUV guys need to come out to see the car again, hopefully not and I can pick her up tomorrow. Still will need to do some things like put in new seals to the targa top so she doesn't leak but I can do that after I get her back. Will have to maneuver the car and bike both into the small garage but I am sure it won't be a problem.

Will get some pictures when I get her back. I'm just glad she's finally done! At least until I get my MG back together and strip her down completely for a full resto-mod! But that will have to wait a bit. Anyone want a pair of centerline racing rims? I got 4 that I want to get rid of! I'm going to see what I can find on the local market here in Deutschland. With so many small 4 lug cars I may be able to find a nice set of rims that work.
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jul 10 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #49

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

QUOTE(stephenaki @ Jul 10 2009, 06:37 PM) *

Hot damn! After almost about a year and a half she is back up and running! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

congrats (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

let me know when you're ready for a little tour (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Gustl
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jul 11 2009, 08:01 AM
Post #50

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 10 2009, 11:06 AM) *

QUOTE(stephenaki @ Jul 10 2009, 06:37 PM) *

congrats (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

let me know when you're ready for a little tour (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Gustl

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to run up your way late July or sometime in August. I called and talked to Christoph and the TUV guy wanted him to do some minor welding on the floorboard to repair a crack and there was some fluid leaking out of one of the calipers. I need to call him again on Monday as I forgot to ask which one as he was trying to figure out the English word for caliper. Scheiben?

He did think I would be able to pick it up on Wednesday. I will probably put her up on the lift at the auto shop and do a complete brake system inspection when I get her back to make sure all the pads, rotors, calipers and lines are good. Will more than likely replace all the rotors and pads then rebuild the calipers later on down the road. Especially if I get re-assigned back stateside and plan on running all the way down to Sicilia to put the car on a boat to the states.

Will let you know how things turn out and, once I get the car back, plan a trip to visit you!
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jul 11 2009, 08:48 AM
Post #51

QUOTE(stephenaki @ Jul 11 2009, 03:01 PM) *

I need to call him again on Monday as I forgot to ask which one as he was trying to figure out the English word for caliper. Scheiben?

AFAIK caliper is the english word for "Bremssattel"
"Bremsscheibe" would be break disk

If you have time and your car is ready we could meet somewhere half way between us. Maybe Tannheimertal, Sonthofen or something else in this area?

Good luck with your car and the TÜV inspection (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Gustl
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jul 11 2009, 01:37 PM
Post #52

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 11 2009, 06:48 AM) *

QUOTE(stephenaki @ Jul 11 2009, 03:01 PM) *

I need to call him again on Monday as I forgot to ask which one as he was trying to figure out the English word for caliper. Scheiben?

AFAIK caliper is the english word for "Bremssattel"
"Bremsscheibe" would be break disk

If you have time and your car is ready we could meet somewhere half way between us. Maybe Tannheimertal, Sonthofen or something else in this area?

Good luck with your car and the TÜV inspection (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Gustl

That makes sense.
+Quote Post
roadster fan
post Jul 12 2009, 04:50 PM
Post #53

Project Frankenstein !!!!!!!!

Member No.: 5,184
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Love your persistence! Hope you have many happy hours of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Jim
+Quote Post
hcdmueller
post Jul 12 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #54

?????????????

Member No.: 5,527
Region Association: England

Congratulations! I am really jealous. I got my car up and running just in time to miss the whole summer. We will have to meet up and go for a drive when I get back. Unless it is snowing when I get back in October.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jul 17 2009, 08:09 AM
Post #55

Can I get this one dad??

Well ladies and gentlemen, it's home. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Christoph had to do some major work before it could be released and I am not sure I want to see the bill!

So, what else did he do? Let see.

- Replace the rotors and bolts on front wheels
- Replace the right front strut and shock
- Replace the right front brake caliper
- Replace the brake master cylinder
- Replace the brake proportioning valve
- under body welds and various places
- electrical work, did I mention the PO totally jacked up the wiring harness and electrical connections? Christoph said that they had a hard time because the wiring didn't match the diagram!
- Replaced all 5 wheels and rims, TUV wanted a more original rim for the historical cert so he gave me 4 new/used pegrini rims. Still got the old ones, gonna sell em on ebay as they will fit a VW beetle.

So what is left to do?
- Rear trailing arm bushings need to be replaced eventually. Anyone got a set of used ones I can send for rebuild?
- I seem to have a minor oil leak I think in the front seal, need to track it down.
- leak in targa top needs to be identified and fixed.

She runs OK, little rough when she is cold and I am pretty sure I will need to rebuild the tranny eventually but for now she runs and is registered. Now I just have to mortage a house to pay for the German labor costs! Will get a picture this weekend and post.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jul 19 2009, 08:19 AM
Post #56

Can I get this one dad??

OK, I got a chance to check some things on the car today; had to put my wife on a plane yesterday to head to the states so didn't have the chance yesterday. The wife is heading to San Antonio to help my dad as my mom is in the hospital and he is having a tough time.

So, first thing, check on the oil leak. Well, looks like it is either leaking from several locations or dripping onto metal and then moving down the metal until it falls on the ground. I won't really get a better picture until I put her on the lift sometime this week or next weekend.

Seals on the targa top and around the window and rear area are just about dry rotted and shot. Will need to replace all the seals; should solve the leak that I got when it was raining on me. Not a big leak but significant enough to piss me off.

Lights need alignment with the body but the seals on the front hood also need replacement as it's harder than a rock!

I gave Christoph 4 quarts of oil but the dipstick is reading significantly low...WTF? Well, will just go and buy more oil and put some in. I am hoping this week will be nice so I can run her with the top off and work out some of the kinks.

In truth, I think the work has just begun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jul 21 2009, 03:48 AM
Post #57

Can I get this one dad??

OK, I now know why the cost of living is so expensive here, I just got the repair bill and this is after discounts.

Even after steadily bringing him money to the tune of 2300 Euro my final bill that I have left is still 7186 Euro or a little over $10k with the current exchange rate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

The wife is going to freak! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) We have the means to pay the bill but it will wipe out some money we have put aside. I may be putting this car on the German market for about 5k Euros as that will give me back at least $7k.

I hate to do it but I may not have a choice. The parts were not the issue, I wracked up close to 7700 Euros in labor alone! OUCH!!!

Anyone got a winning lottery ticket? Gonna go bang my head on a wall now, already sent an email to the wife and gave her some courses of action. She is in the states having to deal with my parents, I really didn't want to drop this on her.
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jul 21 2009, 04:17 AM
Post #58

oh man, I'm really sorry about this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I knew from my own experience that professional labor on the 914 is very expensive, but I didn't think that it would be so much in your case ...

I hope that you could keep the teener ...

good luck
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jul 21 2009, 04:19 AM
Post #59

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 21 2009, 02:17 AM) *

oh man, I'm really sorry about this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I knew from my own experience that professional labor on the 914 is very expensive, but I didn't think that it would be so much in your case ...

I hope that you could keep the teener ...

good luck

Sent you a PM exploring the sale in Germany possibility.
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Jul 21 2009, 08:35 AM
Post #60

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Damn, This is a shame about the bill total and the need to dump the car.

My dad recently had his 1930 Model A Ford professionally restored (exterior) and they gave him an original quote of $6,000-$8,000.

Well, over the course of the resto, he paid them $11k in progress payments and they never mentioned that they estimate was significantly off.

Well, at the end of it, they hit him with a $27,000 bill for the work. That was well beyone what was expected and of course my dad didn't have enough money to pay it (he is retired) so he left them the car and went back to regroup.

In the end, he found the money and got the car, but I am a big fan of having the shop tell you when they reach certain money thresholds, just to make sure both can survive the final outcome.

Then again, as any restoration should be expected to be 3x the original time and dollar amounts, it wasn't that far off. Conventional wisdom is right.

So, sorry about your situation, good luck in the final outcome, and it would be a shame for you to sell the 914, especially after getting this far with it.
+Quote Post

23 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:16 PM