Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 23 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steve's unending Progress thread, Air compressor setup recommendations
stephenaki
post Mar 19 2016, 03:09 PM
Post #401

Can I get this one dad??

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,987
Region Association: None

Soooo...I got a lot of things moved around last night and finished moving things out of the way to start the demo of the garage closet this morning.
Attached Image
Here is where we started, close to 3 1/2 feet were taken up by the closet as far as space going to the back wall. It was about 20 feet to the point that we took out the wall right next to the water heating unit.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

My daughter, Rianna, made sure I woke her up around 0730 so she could help. Mike, MBlizzard, showed up around 0745 and you can see the destruction taking place.

Attached Image
It took us about 4 hours to tear everything out and clean up. The garage looks much larger now!

We also found some issues that I will have to deal with, termite trail up one 2x4 stud that I need to check to see if it needs replacement.

And what looks to be mold in the ceiling insulation.
Attached Image
I'll need to get into the attic and investigate. Needless to say, I can't do much more until I remedy these issues. I'll probably pull the rest of the drywall down tomorrow to check on the stud and make sure there are no other termite trails. I called it quits for today as I'm beat.

Getting closer to being able to get the Teener and MG so I can get back to work on them! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Apr 2 2016, 07:18 PM
Post #402

Can I get this one dad??

Well...The cars are back!! Headed to VA yesterday and met my buddy Leo at the storage unit. It took us about an hour and a half to load the MG and Teener. The Teener was easy, it went on the auto transport; the MG however was an entirely different story!
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

I didn't have the steering unit connected on the MG and neither wheels were connected to the steering rack so the first attempt to bring her up had the front wheels turning the wrong way. OK, lets try bringing her up from the back. NOPE! She would have bottomed out. Damn, now what? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Then Leo had a brilliant idea, lets connect the wheels with a ratchet strap! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) So we ran the straps to the connecting ends of the wheel tie rod arms, tighten just enough so that one wheel causes the other to turn and...VOILA!! Wheels stay straight and we can get her up into the truck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

We had a 5000 lb ratchet strap we initially used as a come a long but once we got it up on the ramps we both just got behind her and pushed her up the rest of the way. Good thing its just a chassis on wheels! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I got back this afternoon and got the Teener off the auto transport and then moved and unhooked the transport. MBBlizzard will be coming to help me unload the MG tomorrow then we start work on the Teener Motor. I'll need a new clutch cable and speedometer cable though. They came loose and 450 miles of dragging on the road kinda hosed them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) Now I gotta go and order me the lift!

I start at General Dynamics on the 11th of April so I need to get as much work done now before I start as I will be doing a lot of traveling. I'm thinking it won't be until May now until I get the lift ordered, delivered and installed.

Let the madness begin again!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 2 2016, 07:38 PM
Post #403

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(stephenaki @ Apr 2 2016, 05:18 PM) *

Well...The cars are back!! Headed to VA yesterday and met my buddy Leo at the storage unit. It took us about an hour and a half to load the MG and Teener. The Teener was easy, it went on the auto transport; the MG however was an entirely different story!
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

I didn't have the steering unit connected on the MG and neither wheels were connected to the steering rack so the first attempt to bring her up had the front wheels turning the wrong way. OK, lets try bringing her up from the back. NOPE! She would have bottomed out. Damn, now what? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Then Leo had a brilliant idea, lets connect the wheels with a ratchet strap! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) So we ran the straps to the connecting ends of the wheel tie rod arms, tighten just enough so that one wheel causes the other to turn and...VOILA!! Wheels stay straight and we can get her up into the truck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

We had a 5000 lb ratchet strap we initially used as a come a long but once we got it up on the ramps we both just got behind her and pushed her up the rest of the way. Good thing its just a chassis on wheels! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I got back this afternoon and got the Teener off the auto transport and then moved and unhooked the transport. MBBlizzard will be coming to help me unload the MG tomorrow then we start work on the Teener Motor. I'll need a new clutch cable and speedometer cable though. They came loose and 450 miles of dragging on the road kinda hosed them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) Now I gotta go and order me the lift!

I start at General Dynamics on the 11th of April so I need to get as much work done now before I start as I will be doing a lot of traveling. I'm thinking it won't be until May now until I get the lift ordered, delivered and installed.

Let the madness begin again!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

General dynamics of predator drone fame???

Former life did a lot of work with them..
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 2 2016, 09:51 PM
Post #404

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

GD, good place to land.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Apr 3 2016, 07:41 AM
Post #405

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 2 2016, 07:51 PM) *

GD, good place to land.

Yup. I was recruited by previous subordinates that I worked with in 5th Special Forces Group. They wanted a Program Manager that they knew would get the job done and already understood the SOF community. I'm looking forward to getting started. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Apr 3 2016, 07:53 AM
Post #406

Can I get this one dad??

OK, so Mike came over this morning and we pulled the MG off. I had things pretty much set up and was installing the tie rod ends when he arrived. We hooked up a big ass ratchet strap to the front to control the car coming down then he and I slowly backed it off the trailer and down the ramps. When we got within 6 inches or so of the ratchet strap having tension we chocked each rear wheel and one of us would go up and loosen the strap some more. She came down a lot easier than she went up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

So here is what a truck with two cars loaded up looks like.
Attached Image

Here is what is left of the clutch and speedo cables that drug on the ground. Good thing Mike has a couple of spares for me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Attached Image

And now the garage is full! I will have the four post ordered next month and hopefully installed before the end of May. I'll start putting the Teener motor together this week.
Attached Image
Attached Image

It's kinda hard to see but on the right fender their is a perfect line of rust and paint bubbling. Methinks the previous owner did a shitty repair on the fender! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) I'm gonna have to grind off the paint and see what I am dealing with but I felt a strip of something on the underside of the fender so I'm thinking whoever 'fixed' it only applied a bandaid fix. I'm hoping that I can still salvage it and don't have to do any major repair work, we'll see.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Apr 17 2016, 04:36 PM
Post #407

Can I get this one dad??

Let the madness begin! Again!

Attached Image
Attached Image

After a week on the road with my new job I got back late Friday night. I wanted to start on Saturday but I had some honey do's that I needed to get done and I watched a movie with my daughter. Unfortunately, she also has walking pneumonia so things have been a bit hectic.

I finally got the chance to pull the motor out of the tuff box this afternoon. I cleaned up each case half and will wrap them in plastic to keep any dirt, dust or debri from accumulating. It will have to stay that way until next weekend as I hit the road again tomorrow to work on some production line issues with the vehicle we were contracted to build. Hopefully, my daughter will be well by the time I get back so I can get more done. At least its a start! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Apr 23 2016, 05:26 PM
Post #408

Can I get this one dad??

OK, need some help. Evidently the dowel pin, 111-101-123, straight pin for crankshaft bearing, has fallen out of one of my crankcase halves. I kinda need that to keep the bearing from spinning and ensuring it lines up with the oil lubrication holes.

PP has them for about a $1 but then wants $4.75 to ship the damn thing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I don't suppose anyone has an extra one they'd like to part with or knows the measurements so I can try to source it that way? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Unfortunately, I don't have anything I need to order from them to make the shipping worthwile.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 23 2016, 09:07 PM
Post #409

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

[quote name='stephenaki' date='Apr 24 2016, 11:26 AM' post='2335036']
OK, need some help. Evidently the dowel pin, 111-101-123, straight pin for crankshaft bearing, has fallen out of one of my crankcase halves. I kinda need that to keep the bearing from spinning and ensuring it lines up with the oil lubrication holes.

PP has them for about a $1 but then wants $4.75 to ship the damn thing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I don't suppose anyone has an extra one they'd like to part with or knows the measurements so I can try to source it that way? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Quote;

Get all new ones and make sure they fit well,order say a couple of oil fiters and other consumables you will always need them,by the way Autohaus have free shipping on orders over $48 dollars at the moment.

+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Apr 24 2016, 06:22 AM
Post #410

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 23 2016, 07:07 PM) *

Get all new ones and make sure they fit well,order say a couple of oil fiters and other consumables you will always need them,by the way Autohaus have free shipping on orders over $48 dollars at the moment.

I was heading that way but Autohaus doesn't have everything I need. I did find a site where I got a couple of other parts that PP and Autohaus doesn't carry. I now have them on order so I can work on it when I get back as I am back on the road Tuesday for business. New position at GD has me traveling quite a bit.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post May 21 2016, 08:58 AM
Post #411

Can I get this one dad??

OK, it's much harder to put a car together when you're on the road all the time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Anyway, back for the weekend and got some work done.
Attached Image
Got these cleaned up, new rings installed and they are ready for install.

Attached Image
Got the crank and cam in but the front pulley seal is deformed so I ordered another front and main rear just in case. I had gotten in the locating pins so everything is now good on the crank bearings.

Attached Image
May have been able to use this but I wasn't taking any chances.

I'm on the road again tomorrow but hopefully my seals will be in by the time I get back so I can finish putting the case together and install the pistons and cylinders. Slow but steady.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jun 18 2016, 04:09 PM
Post #412

Can I get this one dad??

Been a busy month but got some time to work on the motor. Need to add a few more bolts and nuts then torque and she is ready for they cylinder and pistons. Thankfully Mike Blizzard remembered to ask the question about the timing marks on the Cam and crank; I had forgotten about that. It would not have ended well as I had the marks 180 out! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I need to pick up a couple more bolts as I bought the wrong length and I'll have everything bolted up and ready to torque. Next the fun begins with installing the cylinder's and pistons, that was always a pain in the butt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
DavidSweden
post Jun 18 2016, 04:27 PM
Post #413

Member No.: 17,452
Region Association: Scandinavia

QUOTE(stephenaki @ Jun 18 2016, 02:09 PM) *

Been a busy month but got some time to work on the motor. Need to add a few more bolts and nuts then torque and she is ready for they cylinder and pistons. Thankfully Mike Blizzard remembered to ask the question about the timing marks on the Cam and crank; I had forgotten about that. It would not have ended well as I had the marks 180 out! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I need to pick up a couple more bolts as I bought the wrong length and I'll have everything bolted up and ready to torque. Next the fun begins with installing the cylinder's and pistons, that was always a pain in the butt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Its looking good. Its great fun putting an engine together even with the inevitable problems that always seem to turn up.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 18 2016, 04:41 PM
Post #414

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

All rotating smooth and easy now?
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jun 18 2016, 06:55 PM
Post #415

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 18 2016, 02:41 PM) *

All rotating smooth and easy now?

Yep. This part is actually easy when I make sure I do it right. The challenge will be with installing the FI system. I'm a total newb to that set up so it should be interesting.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jul 4 2016, 01:24 PM
Post #416

Can I get this one dad??

Hope everyone is having a great 4th of July celebration! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/351.gif)

I spent a long week over in St. Petersburg, FL last week with wife and daughter in tow. They got to go and see things while I spent the week in meetings and working groups at our corporate headquarters. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) At least I spent time out on my bosses boat on Saturday before we came back on Sunday.

I got to work on the motor today and got the passenger's side done with the exception of installing the rocker assembly and push rods. I'll do those after I get the other side put together.

I didn't realize that when you have the case cradle that it hinders your ability to just slide on the piston and cylinder assembly and put in the wrist pins and circlips to connect the piston rods. NOW I understand why Porsche uses the piston ring compressor design they do! Thankfully, I found the damn thing! So here is today's effort, I am taking a break and may go out in a bit and work on the other side.

Attached Image
Not how I wanted to put it on!

Attached Image
I had removed the head studs to make it easier to maneuver.

Attached Image
Time to torque the head.

Attached Image
One side down, one side to go!

I chased the exhaust studs before I assembled it to ensure I had no crud built up on it. I'll clean up the intake studs before I start assembling anything else. With any luck, I'll have the base motor done before I have to start traveling again on Wednesday then I get to mess with the FI system.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jul 9 2016, 04:14 PM
Post #417

Can I get this one dad??

Other side done, partially installed impeller. fan Will adjust valve clearance tomorrow then, on the road again!

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Aug 21 2016, 03:20 PM
Post #418

Can I get this one dad??

Well, I've been a bit busy this weekend. I've been on the road for pretty much four weeks straight and finally got to come home for a week or so. I had done some work about three weeks ago when I was home for the weekend so was able to finish the rest off this weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

First off, one must remember that engine tin goes on UNDER push tubes! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) It's even worse when you put oil in it then have to take things apart to fix your screw up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

That being said, got most of the tin on yesterday but had to pull her off the stand as the cradle interfered with the rest of the tin.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Well, my first thought wasn't so smart. I had thought the wife could help, she gave me the, 'your on serious fucking crack!' look. She said, call Mikey! (MBlizzard)

Attached Image
Nope, not gonna bother Mikey, I just had to think it through. She came down perfect!

Got a lot put on yesterday before I called it a day. I can tell I am way out of shape, I was aching yesterday after I was done!
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Aug 21 2016, 03:24 PM
Post #419

Can I get this one dad??

So today I finished her up and got the dizzy in, all the tin on and gearbox mated up.
Attached Image
Attached Image

I have a box full of FI parts that I'll start going through this weekend to see what I have, what needs some help and cleaning, etc. I'm hoping to get it all sorted before I head off to Florida again in a couple of weeks. I am not doing two week stints at our corporate HQ so it makes things a bit more challenging to get to. Progress is being made. Once I get this all sorted it will be time to start prepping the bay for the transition to a side shift setup.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jan 29 2017, 07:36 AM
Post #420

Can I get this one dad??

Well, things are moving fast here in TN at least with regards to getting ready to move to Florida. Mike, MBLizzard, came over yesterday and we got three cars ready to move. Put the hard top on the Merc, got the motor into the Teener and got the steering assembly put together for the MG. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

We learned that there is a significant difference in motor position on the Teener if you don't swap over the front motor mounts from the tail shift to the side shift mounts. Motor sits quite a bit lower! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Well this is just to move the car as a unit so it will work; just ordered two from Pelican since I will need them eventually. Also was reminded that the standard bolt size for the MG is 5/16 x 24tp.

House goes on the market in February, just about a year after we bought it, then it is time to search the Florida market! Good thing we don't have to do much for prep as I am playing production and program manager this month since my production manager departed for a different position in VA. Been living in Anniston, AL and commuting home o weekends. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 23 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:01 PM