Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 20 21 22 23 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steve's unending Progress thread, Air compressor setup recommendations
stephenaki
post Feb 19 2017, 08:00 AM
Post #421

Can I get this one dad??

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,987
Region Association: None

And so it begins; house is now on the market. If anyone is looking for a house in the Halls area of Knoxville, let me know and I'll send you the link on Realtor.com! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Now lets see how long this will take to sell; we'd like a quick sale but we haven't figured out quite yet what we would do if it did sell quickly since we can't leave until the end of May. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Apr 22 2017, 10:58 AM
Post #422

Can I get this one dad??

Well, after a couple of inspections it looks like we are moving ahead with a house in Palmetto, FL. We have to have the VA inspection done before it is all clear but, if all goes well, we'll be closing mid-June.

We've had a couple of offers on our house in TN but we didn't accept them as they were absolutely worthless. Not sure why people think that offering $50K less than the market value and asking for closing costs is an acceptable offer especially in a seller's market. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

She'll sell but it may take a bit. I did find a company that will put in my workshop. They'll do the slab and put up the metal building. I plan on putting in a 40x30 slab for a workshop with a metal building. Since we are sitting on a bit over an acre of land I have plenty of room for it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) It will also allow me to put in a two post lift which is less expensive than a four post. Can't wait to get things started! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post May 29 2017, 06:34 AM
Post #423

Can I get this one dad??

Looking for a lift dealer and installer in the Tampa and south area! Anyone got any recommendations?

So we have sold our house here in TN and will be closing on the house in the Palmetto area mid-June. We have to put a new roof on it but I am also putting in a workshop about 30'x50' and looking for a two post lift. I like the rotary lifts but am open to other options. Anyone know of a good dealer down in the Tampa or Bradenton area that they can recommend? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jun 30 2017, 08:25 PM
Post #424

Can I get this one dad??

Were here! Been here about two weeks and still unpacking. Should have the new shop up in about three months. And then I can clear out the garage and move everything over. Went with a 30' x 5'' insulated metal building. I'll have to figure out AC as it is hotter than hades and only gonna get hotter.

I know we have members in the area, any St. Pete, Tampa, Palmetto area Teener events coming up?
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jul 2 2017, 08:10 PM
Post #425

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(stephenaki @ May 29 2017, 08:34 AM) *

Looking for a lift dealer and installer in the Tampa and south area! Anyone got any recommendations?

So we have sold our house here in TN and will be closing on the house in the Palmetto area mid-June. We have to put a new roof on it but I am also putting in a workshop about 30'x50' and looking for a two post lift. I like the rotary lifts but am open to other options. Anyone know of a good dealer down in the Tampa or Bradenton area that they can recommend? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I have a Rotary Lift and used them when I had it installed 12 years ago - I haven't needed them since.

Our Tampa numbers are down as URY, Chad & snakemain moved. SMG, thePaintedMan & I are around.

If you need professional help with a 914, my buddy Carlos has CRS Motorsports in Bradenton. He has 2 914s there now. My Camaro is there too
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Dec 10 2017, 08:46 AM
Post #426

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 2 2017, 06:10 PM) *

QUOTE(stephenaki @ May 29 2017, 08:34 AM) *

I have a Rotary Lift and used them when I had it installed 12 years ago - I haven't needed them since.

Our Tampa numbers are down as URY, Chad & snakemain moved. SMG, thePaintedMan & I are around.

If you need professional help with a 914, my buddy Carlos has CRS Motorsports in Bradenton. He has 2 914s there now. My Camaro is there too

Does he do MG motors? I need some block and head work on the MG. Haven't done much with the 914 recently.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Dec 10 2017, 08:57 AM
Post #427

Can I get this one dad??

Sooooo...I've been a bit busy. We moved down to lovely Florida this past June and I have been swamped with both work and house projects. I kinda focused on getting the MG Midget put back together and put the teener on the back burner. I did however manage to finally get my workshop up.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/image.ibb.co-7987-1512917845.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/image.ibb.co-7987-1512917846.2.jpg)

It is a 30' x 50' in the back of the house. I have to run electrical to it which I am working on now and eventually get the plumbing hooked up. I have to finish the interior and will put up OSB to protect the insulation from damage and will eventually put down Polyurea flooring.

I have a lift coming and will hopefully get that installed this coming week. I'm happy with the building, I just need to get some things cleaned up before I start moving everything over. I'm hoping to be able to start operating out of it by the end of January if not sooner.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 10 2017, 09:17 AM
Post #428

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

That's huge. Fillit up with cars and enjoy the Hell out of it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Dec 10 2017, 09:59 AM
Post #429

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Between you and the Doc's cool garage additions. It has me thinking. Some day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Dec 10 2017, 11:07 AM
Post #430

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

Awesome garage. Congrats
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 10 2017, 11:40 AM
Post #431

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

That’s a great space. Congrats!

Thanks for the tip in the garage floor coating. I read up on it and it’s what I will lay down in the spring.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Dec 11 2017, 06:51 PM
Post #432

Can I get this one dad??

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 10 2017, 09:40 AM) *

Thanks for the tip in the garage floor coating. I read up on it and it’s what I will lay down in the spring.

There are three suppliers of the polyurea coating that sell to the general public, I did the math and thus far garageflooringllc.com is the most economical however, they also have the longest cure time, 72 hours. Still, I will probably be going with them.

When you are ready, do a lot of reading on floor prep, this is the most critical aspect of any coating whether it is epoxy or polyurea. The previous owner threw down a cheap epoxy coating in the main garage then stuck self-stick carpet on over it. Because he failed to prep the floor, all the coating came up when the carpet was removed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Here is the article that I happened upon that explained the difference between epoxy and polyurea. It also lists the other two vendors which although they are more expensive, their cure time is a lot shorter.
http://allgaragefloors.com/polyurea-best-g...r-coating-kits/
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 11 2017, 07:19 PM
Post #433

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(stephenaki @ Dec 11 2017, 07:51 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 10 2017, 09:40 AM) *

There are three suppliers of the polyurea coating that sell to the general public, I did the math and thus far garageflooringllc.com is the most economical however, they also have the longest cure time, 72 hours. Still, I will probably be going with them.

When you are ready, do a lot of reading on floor prep, this is the most critical aspect of any coating whether it is epoxy or polyurea. The previous owner threw down a cheap epoxy coating in the main garage then stuck self-stick carpet on over it. Because he failed to prep the floor, all the coating came up when the carpet was removed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Here is the article that I happened upon that explained the difference between epoxy and polyurea. It also lists the other two vendors which although they are more expensive, their cure time is a lot shorter.
http://allgaragefloors.com/polyurea-best-g...r-coating-kits/

I will grind the floor. Once I clean it out, it really doesn't matter if it takes a day or 3. Its not my main garage.
I read all the articles. Lots of good info. Seems perfect for what I want.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Dec 27 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #434

Can I get this one dad??

Bit the bullet and dropped the dough on the Polyurea coating system. Wife said it was my Christmas present. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I spent the last few days prepping the workshop for the coating. It took two full days to grind the concrete and another day to chemically etch the areas that I couldn't get to with the grinder and clean all the dust up.

I got the last part of the system today and will lay the coating down tomorrow. Pictures to follow when I have it done and I'm writing up my experience so I can share it with others, hopefully someone will find it useful when they decide to do it as well. I read a lot of other people's experiences so figured I should share mine once it is done.

BANZAI!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 27 2017, 06:38 PM
Post #435

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(stephenaki @ Dec 27 2017, 07:24 PM) *

Bit the bullet and dropped the dough on the Polyurea coating system. Wife said it was my Christmas present. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I spent the last few days prepping the workshop for the coating. It took two full days to grind the concrete and another day to chemically etch the areas that I couldn't get to with the grinder and clean all the dust up.

I got the last part of the system today and will lay the coating down tomorrow. Pictures to follow when I have it done and I'm writing up my experience so I can share it with others, hopefully someone will find it useful when they decide to do it as well. I read a lot of other people's experiences so figured I should share mine once it is done.

BANZAI!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Interested. Thanks!
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Dec 30 2017, 04:45 PM
Post #436

Can I get this one dad??

OK, the floor is done. First up observations.

1. 1500 SqFt is an ass kicker! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
2. Use proper PPE (personal protective equipment) when putting down the coating especially the paint respirator. The fumes are pretty heavy, you NEED a respirator! Use gloves, lots of them. Get a box of nitrile, latex or whatever but use them. You will go through a lot of them. Make sure you have a dust mask if grinding the cement.
3. Take the time to properly prep the floor. Grinding is the most preferred but also the most labor intensive. I did a chemical etch on the areas that the grinder could not get to.
4. Section off your work and lay the coating by sections. This helps determine how much is needed per section, and gives you a good feel for how thick it should be. I did not do this initially so some areas are heavier than others.
5. Use a hand held quart measure, painter's helper cup, and pour a quart at a time to work with especially the base coat. Don't pour a big glop on the floor, make a ribbon that you work with, it is easier and spreads better.
6. Use spikey shoe strap-ons, you will have to walk on areas where you have laid coating, you will need the spike shoes.
7. Clear coat is really friggin slick!!! Be very cautious when you walk on it with the spike shoes. The anti-skid ingredient, if used, doesn't work until after the floor dries.
8. Clear coat goes on a lot easier and quicker than the base coat.
9. If you grind and use water with the grinder, use two people. The slurry masks the area as you go so you lose site of where you need to grind. The second person can work the hose and help spray the slurry away so you can see what you are doing.
10. If you are dry grinding, get a good vacuum to help keep the dust down. Same issue with slurry, the dust will obscure the area so you can't see what you have done and what you need to do.
11. Make sure the roller you use is for epoxy/polyurea application. DO NOT use just a regular roller. You can get them at Home Depot or Lowes or order them on Amazon.
12. When using the anti-skid in the clear coat, always stir it well before applying to the floor. It is a heavy metal that will sink and settle, you need to make sure you keep stirring it before you scoop any up and apply it.

This is not a couple of hour project! It took me two days to grind the concrete and about a half day to remove all the dust and chemical etch the rest of the floor. It took me 7 HOURS to lay down the base coat. So basically, 3 1/2 hours for about 750 SqFt, it is very labor intensive and the base coat is the most challenging to lay down.

It took me only about 3 1/2 hours to lay down the clear coat as the base is relatively smooth so the clear coat glides on easier. It is a bit more difficult to see the areas you have covered with the clear coat, make sure you have good lighting so you can see the "sheen" of the freshly applied clear coat.

Pictures will follow shortly, they aren't a lot but they will give you the general idea.

+Quote Post
billh1963
post Dec 30 2017, 05:17 PM
Post #437

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

I used this on my new buildings. Super easy to apply and you can see an immediate difference.

I've had my tractors on it and several trucks and it appears to be working as advertised.

PS104 Lithium Silicate Densifying Sealer

At some point I may add tiles for my working space for comfort and aesthetics.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Dec 30 2017, 05:30 PM
Post #438

Can I get this one dad??

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/image.ibb.co-7987-1514676606.1.jpg)
The concrete is new but it is very smooth so will not hold the coating, it needs to be prepped.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/image.ibb.co-7987-1514676607.2.jpg)
This is a regular floor polisher with a Diamabrush concrete prep tool attached. It works well and is cheaper than a grinder. If you have a large space, I recommend a grinder. I switched to a grinder to finish the job
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/image.ibb.co-7987-1514676607.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/image.ibb.co-7987-1514676607.4.jpg)
The dust mask is simple but needed, a lot of dust was kicked up, my vacuum couldn't keep up!
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Dec 30 2017, 05:36 PM
Post #439

Can I get this one dad??

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/image.ibb.co-7987-1514677007.1.jpg)
Fucking Leaves!! The concrete contractor didn't make sure the leaves were out of the slab so I had several that I had to pick out of the slab prior to laying the floor.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/image.ibb.co-7987-1514677007.2.jpg)
Grinding done, you can see a difference in the floor texture.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/image.ibb.co-7987-1514677007.3.jpg)
Swapped masks for a paint mask. No way you can handle the fumes without one and I had all three garage doors and pedestrian door open!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/image.ibb.co-7987-1514677007.4.jpg)
Halfway done with the base coat.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/image.ibb.co-7987-1514677008.5.jpg)
Base coat done!

You are supposed to wait a minimum of 6 hours before applying the clear coat. I gave it a complete day as I was sore as hell the next day. I finished up the clear coat today in about half the time and not nearly as labor intensive.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Dec 30 2017, 05:44 PM
Post #440

Can I get this one dad??

Last of the pictures.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/image.ibb.co-7987-1514677474.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/image.ibb.co-7987-1514677477.2.jpg)

These are pictures of the clear coat. You can see the sheen of the coat which is a good way to tell where you have missed. The base coat is somewhat glossy but the clear coat is much shinier when you are applying it and you can see the difference.

Additionally, with the anti-skip applied, the coating is somewhat yellowish so this also helps a bit when applying. With this product it takes 72 hrs to completely cure. There are other products out there from their competitors that take less time to cure but they are almost double the cost.

All I have left is to build cement ramps (easy to do yourself), get the electrical hooked up and start moving things in. I'll probably have things in before the ramps and electrical are in and it looks like the two post lift will go in next weekend. Perfect timing.

If anyone has any specific questions send me a PM and I will answer it best I can.
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 20 21 22 23 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:52 AM