Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> hot transmission in DE
Bill Smith
post Jul 15 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,964

I ran a DE this past weekend - I was driving alot more aggresive than I have in the past - my 74 yellow 914 has a 3.2 L with a 901 trans with a quaiffe. The trans worked very good - on the track I was using 3,4, and 5th. when they threw the checkered flag - and I came into the pits, I had a hard time getting into 1st and 2nd - after it sat for a while it was fine. I am using synthetic oil in the trans but not using an oil cooler. I didnt check the temp. but know I was running it hard. I was running 1:27 at summit point, WV.

has anyone else experienced this??????????
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sww914
post Jul 15 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

You figured it out, hot tranny. You'll probably need to add a cooler and a pump. You don't necessarily need a whole manifold to direct the gear oil back into the top of the tranny, it can just go back into 1 spot. One of the racecars that I maintain is a 911 with a 2.9 RSRish MFI motor and the tranny cooler pump draws from the drain plug and dumps back into the top. I don't know exactly where, visibility is limited on the top of the tranny and I haven't had to pull the powertrain on this one yet.
Almost everybody will tell you to get that synthetic crap out of your 901 and I agree. Many people use Swepco 201 with good results and I'm one of them.
I've only ever had tranny problems on my car once. That was the one event that I tried Mobil1 synthetic. I dumped it when I got home and put Swepco in it, no problems since.
+Quote Post
drew365
post Jul 15 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #3

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

Absolutely. The longer your run group is, the more likely you'll experience this. A transaxle cooler is the next mod for my car if I don't sell it. I find that after about 20 mins. of pushing hard on track the shifting will start to get sloppy and the chance of grabbing 1st on a 4 to 3 downshift goes way up. Also, most racers recommend using only Swepco in the 901 box.
+Quote Post
Bill Smith
post Jul 15 2008, 08:40 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,964

where do you get swepco 201?
+Quote Post
drew365
post Jul 15 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #5

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

Pelican, Performance Products, Paragon. I guess all the suppliers for P cars that start with a P.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 15 2008, 09:22 PM
Post #6

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Bill Smith @ Jul 15 2008, 05:44 PM) *

has anyone else experienced this??????????

yupp, all the time ... i'm considering options for a tranny cooler as we speak ...

and i don't even have a LSD in mine yet ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jul 15 2008, 11:55 PM
Post #7

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

Havent expereined this yet and I push the car fairly hard on 20 to 25 minute sessions.. I do use Swepco and I think I get fairly good cooling effect with no trunk floor. Also have low torque motor.

This post has been edited by grantsfo: Jul 15 2008, 11:56 PM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 08:29 AM