Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hot transmission in DE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Bill Smith
I ran a DE this past weekend - I was driving alot more aggresive than I have in the past - my 74 yellow 914 has a 3.2 L with a 901 trans with a quaiffe. The trans worked very good - on the track I was using 3,4, and 5th. when they threw the checkered flag - and I came into the pits, I had a hard time getting into 1st and 2nd - after it sat for a while it was fine. I am using synthetic oil in the trans but not using an oil cooler. I didnt check the temp. but know I was running it hard. I was running 1:27 at summit point, WV.

has anyone else experienced this??????????
sww914
You figured it out, hot tranny. You'll probably need to add a cooler and a pump. You don't necessarily need a whole manifold to direct the gear oil back into the top of the tranny, it can just go back into 1 spot. One of the racecars that I maintain is a 911 with a 2.9 RSRish MFI motor and the tranny cooler pump draws from the drain plug and dumps back into the top. I don't know exactly where, visibility is limited on the top of the tranny and I haven't had to pull the powertrain on this one yet.
Almost everybody will tell you to get that synthetic crap out of your 901 and I agree. Many people use Swepco 201 with good results and I'm one of them.
I've only ever had tranny problems on my car once. That was the one event that I tried Mobil1 synthetic. I dumped it when I got home and put Swepco in it, no problems since.
drew365
Absolutely. The longer your run group is, the more likely you'll experience this. A transaxle cooler is the next mod for my car if I don't sell it. I find that after about 20 mins. of pushing hard on track the shifting will start to get sloppy and the chance of grabbing 1st on a 4 to 3 downshift goes way up. Also, most racers recommend using only Swepco in the 901 box.
Bill Smith
where do you get swepco 201?
drew365
Pelican, Performance Products, Paragon. I guess all the suppliers for P cars that start with a P.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bill Smith @ Jul 15 2008, 05:44 PM) *

has anyone else experienced this??????????

yupp, all the time ... i'm considering options for a tranny cooler as we speak ...

and i don't even have a LSD in mine yet ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
grantsfo
Havent expereined this yet and I push the car fairly hard on 20 to 25 minute sessions.. I do use Swepco and I think I get fairly good cooling effect with no trunk floor. Also have low torque motor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.