Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Im back!, and with questions.
grasshopper
post Jul 27 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,258
Region Association: None

So, I dont think ive posted on here in about 6 months, maybe more. Its crazy...I used to be on here every single day. Now I barely have time to get on the computer at all. But, school is starting back up so hopefully I will be able to find time somewhere in between school, work and homework to work on the new project. FYI, its the tub that Joe Sharp and the So Cal gang sent. Ive stripped the inside, and am in the process of getting it up on the rotisserie. I already know what i want as far as the body and such, but im at a loss on the engine.
So...I just happen to have a 2.0 6cyl sitting in the garage. It came out of a 911 that had been sitting for about ten years. We *somehow* got that thing running. It has water and sludge and all kind of crud down in the engine. But it ran, and after getting all that crap out it ran really good. At this point, I do not have the money to rebuild that engine, or get a replacement if needed. So Im not sure I want to go to the trouble of installing that engine, just to have it blow in 500 miles. I would be uber pissed. I just have no clue at all of the reliability of that engine. But I love the sound of a 6...you cant beat it.
Thats option one. Option two, is to go with a subie. Ive been playing around with the idea in my head. For about the same price as buying everything else I would need to install the 6, I could sell the 6 and get me a nice, more powerful, more reliable subie engine. But I HATE thinking about putting anything other than german in that engine bay....haha.
So this is where I come to you. Which would I be better off doing? Gobs of money is not an option right now. I have to be saving the majority of my income for college. But, I want this car finished before my senior year is over. So.....which is my best option. Go with a six, or sell it and get a subie?
Its nice to be back :]
-Barry
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
markb
post Jul 27 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #2

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Welcome back!

Go with a /6
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jul 27 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #3

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Welcome back. I wondered where you were. About the engine, both the /6 and the subie will cost $$. The Subie will cost both $$ and fabrication. If you want to get this thing running, why not a massive IV?
+Quote Post
grasshopper
post Jul 27 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 27 2008, 08:22 PM) *

Welcome back. I wondered where you were. About the engine, both the /6 and the subie will cost $$. The Subie will cost both $$ and fabrication. If you want to get this thing running, why not a massive IV?

Cause thats money too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) hahaha. And for the price of a massive IV...I can put the 6 in....
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jul 27 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #5

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Ohhhhhhhh my box-o-hubs is surely in the mail now!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jul 27 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #6

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Welcome back. I think you know what I'll say (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Just get that 2.0l in there and drive it until you can build it bigger. You can get a ton of power out of those sixes and it will still be German (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
grasshopper
post Jul 27 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 27 2008, 08:45 PM) *

Ohhhhhhhh my box-o-hubs is surely in the mail now!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Bahahahahahaha!!!!! We have been going at this for like....2 years. They will come in time. Just be patient Grasshopper. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) I have even more for you now.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 27 2008, 10:49 PM
Post #8

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Ha, stock TIV is all you are gonna get in your time frame and income level my friend. The bits for the /6 conversion will cost you $$, too; mount, oil tank ($$$), hoses ($$$), engine tin ($$), rebuilding motor or carbs or what not.

Subie will also cost you the time you dont have in fabrication.

Not to dissuade you, but a nice 2.0, for now, is probably your best bet. Get a bigger engine when you are in college (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Welcome back, I figured you were out getting more ass than a public toilet seat....
+Quote Post
grasshopper
post Jul 27 2008, 10:49 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 27 2008, 08:46 PM) *

Welcome back. I think you know what I'll say (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Just get that 2.0l in there and drive it until you can build it bigger. You can get a ton of power out of those sixes and it will still be German (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yeah, but if blows on me...then im screwed. Cause at that point there is no way I will be able to afford a rebuild, and no money to get a new one. It will have to sit for years. Or put a T4 in it....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 27 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #10

Send your /6 to me and I will rebuild it for free +parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
grasshopper
post Jul 27 2008, 10:52 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 27 2008, 08:51 PM) *

Send your /6 to me and I will rebuild it for free +parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Ha. U serious?
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 27 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #12

Yup. It should not cost too much to get er done.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jul 27 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #13

If Evil is serious I'd contribute $100 towards it. You're a good kid and it would be good for you to have a well built car.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 27 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #14

Oh Jeez, make him work for it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) I have been killing my self to get hooked up and ya'll are just gonna give it to him?! Make him come out and do some yard work or something (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 27 2008, 11:02 PM
Post #15

Rebuilding a 2.0 /6 is cake compared to its contemporaries. I have the tools, the stand, the room, the know how, and even the time if you are not in a HUGE rush. It will take you time to mod the car anyway....and locate the parts.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jul 27 2008, 11:06 PM
Post #16

Oh, he'll be paying for a lot of it, but shoot, every little bit helps right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jul 27 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #17

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

Did you have a chance to check the oil pressure?

If the bottom end is good, a top end isn't really that bad. You have cast iron cylinders that can be honed (if in spec) and new rings.

Valve grind on heads isn't that bad either.

It's the rest of the crap as the Evil One says that'll damn near kill ya to install it.

But .... a good running 2.0L with FI can be fast enough to get into trouble .... but will get 27+ mpg ....
+Quote Post
grasshopper
post Jul 27 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 27 2008, 09:02 PM) *

Rebuilding a 2.0 /6 is cake compared to its contemporaries. I have the tools, the stand, the room, the know how, and even the time if you are not in a HUGE rush. It will take you time to mod the car anyway....and locate the parts.

Well dang. I forgot how great of a place this was! Im not in a rush at all, it will take about 6 months to get the body and interior done. What all do I need to rebuild the six? If that is the direction I decide to go...which if someone is offering me a free rebuild I just may take. Gathering parts isnt a big deal. Im good at getting deals. I can fabricate my own throttle linkage and sheet metal. Now I need the oil tank, headers, hoses and a mount. Thats a months pay pretty much. hhmm..
+Quote Post
grasshopper
post Jul 27 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 27 2008, 08:58 PM) *

If Evil is serious I'd contribute $100 towards it. You're a good kid and it would be good for you to have a well built car.

Are you serious? I cant except it. You let me drive your car! For a whole day! Thats more than enough (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jul 27 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 27 2008, 10:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 27 2008, 09:02 PM) *

Well dang. I forgot how great of a place this was! Im not in a rush at all, it will take about 6 months to get the body and interior done. What all do I need to rebuild the six? If that is the direction I decide to go...which if someone is offering me a free rebuild I just may take. Gathering parts isnt a big deal. Im good at getting deals. I can fabricate my own throttle linkage and sheet metal. Now I need the oil tank, headers, hoses and a mount. Thats a months pay pretty much. hhmm..

Rich Johnson was selling a kit on ebay with everything you'd need: Cooler, mount, throttle linkage, and oil tank. I'd try to contact him if you want to do this. He may help you out and he has very nice stuff.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 01:23 PM