Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Im back!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grasshopper
So, I dont think ive posted on here in about 6 months, maybe more. Its crazy...I used to be on here every single day. Now I barely have time to get on the computer at all. But, school is starting back up so hopefully I will be able to find time somewhere in between school, work and homework to work on the new project. FYI, its the tub that Joe Sharp and the So Cal gang sent. Ive stripped the inside, and am in the process of getting it up on the rotisserie. I already know what i want as far as the body and such, but im at a loss on the engine.
So...I just happen to have a 2.0 6cyl sitting in the garage. It came out of a 911 that had been sitting for about ten years. We *somehow* got that thing running. It has water and sludge and all kind of crud down in the engine. But it ran, and after getting all that crap out it ran really good. At this point, I do not have the money to rebuild that engine, or get a replacement if needed. So Im not sure I want to go to the trouble of installing that engine, just to have it blow in 500 miles. I would be uber pissed. I just have no clue at all of the reliability of that engine. But I love the sound of a 6...you cant beat it.
Thats option one. Option two, is to go with a subie. Ive been playing around with the idea in my head. For about the same price as buying everything else I would need to install the 6, I could sell the 6 and get me a nice, more powerful, more reliable subie engine. But I HATE thinking about putting anything other than german in that engine bay....haha.
So this is where I come to you. Which would I be better off doing? Gobs of money is not an option right now. I have to be saving the majority of my income for college. But, I want this car finished before my senior year is over. So.....which is my best option. Go with a six, or sell it and get a subie?
Its nice to be back :]
-Barry
markb
Welcome back!

Go with a /6
Spoke
Welcome back. I wondered where you were. About the engine, both the /6 and the subie will cost $$. The Subie will cost both $$ and fabrication. If you want to get this thing running, why not a massive IV?
grasshopper
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 27 2008, 08:22 PM) *

Welcome back. I wondered where you were. About the engine, both the /6 and the subie will cost $$. The Subie will cost both $$ and fabrication. If you want to get this thing running, why not a massive IV?

Cause thats money too biggrin.gif hahaha. And for the price of a massive IV...I can put the 6 in....
Eric_Shea
Ohhhhhhhh my box-o-hubs is surely in the mail now!! biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
Welcome back. I think you know what I'll say wink.gif Just get that 2.0l in there and drive it until you can build it bigger. You can get a ton of power out of those sixes and it will still be German biggrin.gif
grasshopper
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 27 2008, 08:45 PM) *

Ohhhhhhhh my box-o-hubs is surely in the mail now!! biggrin.gif

Bahahahahahaha!!!!! We have been going at this for like....2 years. They will come in time. Just be patient Grasshopper. happy11.gif I have even more for you now.
Dr Evil
Ha, stock TIV is all you are gonna get in your time frame and income level my friend. The bits for the /6 conversion will cost you $$, too; mount, oil tank ($$$), hoses ($$$), engine tin ($$), rebuilding motor or carbs or what not.

Subie will also cost you the time you dont have in fabrication.

Not to dissuade you, but a nice 2.0, for now, is probably your best bet. Get a bigger engine when you are in college smile.gif

Welcome back, I figured you were out getting more ass than a public toilet seat....
grasshopper
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 27 2008, 08:46 PM) *

Welcome back. I think you know what I'll say wink.gif Just get that 2.0l in there and drive it until you can build it bigger. You can get a ton of power out of those sixes and it will still be German biggrin.gif

Yeah, but if blows on me...then im screwed. Cause at that point there is no way I will be able to afford a rebuild, and no money to get a new one. It will have to sit for years. Or put a T4 in it....... blink.gif
Dr Evil
Send your /6 to me and I will rebuild it for free +parts. poke.gif idea.gif
grasshopper
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 27 2008, 08:51 PM) *

Send your /6 to me and I will rebuild it for free +parts. poke.gif idea.gif

Ha. U serious?
Dr Evil
Yup. It should not cost too much to get er done.
PeeGreen 914
If Evil is serious I'd contribute $100 towards it. You're a good kid and it would be good for you to have a well built car.
Dr Evil
Oh Jeez, make him work for it rolleyes.gif I have been killing my self to get hooked up and ya'll are just gonna give it to him?! Make him come out and do some yard work or something poke.gif wink.gif
Dr Evil
Rebuilding a 2.0 /6 is cake compared to its contemporaries. I have the tools, the stand, the room, the know how, and even the time if you are not in a HUGE rush. It will take you time to mod the car anyway....and locate the parts.
PeeGreen 914
Oh, he'll be paying for a lot of it, but shoot, every little bit helps right wink.gif
SLITS
Did you have a chance to check the oil pressure?

If the bottom end is good, a top end isn't really that bad. You have cast iron cylinders that can be honed (if in spec) and new rings.

Valve grind on heads isn't that bad either.

It's the rest of the crap as the Evil One says that'll damn near kill ya to install it.

But .... a good running 2.0L with FI can be fast enough to get into trouble .... but will get 27+ mpg ....
grasshopper
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 27 2008, 09:02 PM) *

Rebuilding a 2.0 /6 is cake compared to its contemporaries. I have the tools, the stand, the room, the know how, and even the time if you are not in a HUGE rush. It will take you time to mod the car anyway....and locate the parts.

Well dang. I forgot how great of a place this was! Im not in a rush at all, it will take about 6 months to get the body and interior done. What all do I need to rebuild the six? If that is the direction I decide to go...which if someone is offering me a free rebuild I just may take. Gathering parts isnt a big deal. Im good at getting deals. I can fabricate my own throttle linkage and sheet metal. Now I need the oil tank, headers, hoses and a mount. Thats a months pay pretty much. hhmm..
grasshopper
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 27 2008, 08:58 PM) *

If Evil is serious I'd contribute $100 towards it. You're a good kid and it would be good for you to have a well built car.

Are you serious? I cant except it. You let me drive your car! For a whole day! Thats more than enough biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 27 2008, 10:08 PM) *

Well dang. I forgot how great of a place this was! Im not in a rush at all, it will take about 6 months to get the body and interior done. What all do I need to rebuild the six? If that is the direction I decide to go...which if someone is offering me a free rebuild I just may take. Gathering parts isnt a big deal. Im good at getting deals. I can fabricate my own throttle linkage and sheet metal. Now I need the oil tank, headers, hoses and a mount. Thats a months pay pretty much. hhmm..

Rich Johnson was selling a kit on ebay with everything you'd need: Cooler, mount, throttle linkage, and oil tank. I'd try to contact him if you want to do this. He may help you out and he has very nice stuff.
Dr Evil
Engine tin, in fiberglass is not too much, relatively speaking.

Hoses can be a chunk of change.

Oil tank is going to be the killer. Current repros are going to $1000 with all the little bits. Used ones I am looking at are going for $700 without the bits. There is one I am watching on ebay right now that is OE and used, and one that I bid on that is aftermarket (dont bid against me!)

I get all my engine parts from EBS. You will need seal, rings, and that is all I can tell you for sure. I may have a spare set of hydro-locks for the chain tensioners. I can polish your rockers so they are nice and newish, get your barrels honed and checked out, check your heads, etc. Your time frame sounds good to me.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 27 2008, 10:10 PM) *

Are you serious? I cant except it. You let me drive your car! For a whole day! Thats more than enough biggrin.gif

drunk.gif You could accept it... sheesh. Just get it done piratenanner.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 28 2008, 01:13 AM) *

Rich Johnson was selling a kit on ebay with everything you'd need: Cooler, mount, throttle linkage, and oil tank. I'd try to contact him if you want to do this. He may help you out and he has very nice stuff.

agree.gif His mounts are the way to go. I may be able to fab you up a bell crank to save you money. He sells all the parts you will need that I dont have lying around in some form or other.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 28 2008, 01:14 AM) *

QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 27 2008, 10:10 PM) *

drunk.gif You could accept it... sheesh. Just get it done piratenanner.gif

I'll accept it on his behalf beer3.gif
PeeGreen 914
Just let me know when you get his engine Mike wink.gif
Dr Evil
Talk amongst yourselves. I am going to bed.

Let me know, man.
grasshopper
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 27 2008, 09:13 PM) *

Hmmm...That sounds like a pretty good plan to me. Ill see if I can find him. I know I have talked to him before about doing a six. And at one point I actually had throttle linkage, headers, and an oil cooler. Then I decided against it and sold it all. Im thinking that im an idiot at this point.
PeeGreen 914
laugh.gif We've all been there.
grasshopper
Gosh. Well...it looks like my decision has been made. Ill talk to my dad and see what he says about it. This is looking great! Im with mike though...it been a long day, and I have to work tomorrow. Im off to bed!
SLITS
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 27 2008, 10:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 27 2008, 09:13 PM) *

Hmmm...That sounds like a pretty good plan to me. Ill see if I can find him. I know I have talked to him before about doing a six. And at one point I actually had throttle linkage, headers, and an oil cooler. Then I decided against it and sold it all. Im thinking that im an idiot at this point.

Sixers suck your brains out and drain your wallet .....

carr914
Welcome Back Barry, I'll look through my stash and see what I've got. I know I've got a set of headers that need a couple of welds, but I know you can handle that.

I posted another question on your other thread. I'll post it here in case they don't like the talk about the other place and close it down. Still have the Beck that I once owned? Do you have the weird rocker mold that should have come with the Beck?

T.C.
Gint
Hi Barry!

Put a 4 banger in it and finish school!.

Even if Evil rebuilds the 6 for you, I'm going to guess that the entire pile o parts and cash you're going to need isn't in your budget.
rhodyguy
nothing like a day driving thru the mountains with a pack of 914s to add some motorvation. say hi to your dad for me.

k
SGB
Is Mike looking for another participant in his "experimental surgical techniques" program?

Look out!

snicker, snicker....
grasshopper
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 28 2008, 04:40 AM) *

Welcome Back Barry, I'll look through my stash and see what I've got. I know I've got a set of headers that need a couple of welds, but I know you can handle that.

I posted another question on your other thread. I'll post it here in case they don't like the talk about the other place and close it down. Still have the Beck that I once owned? Do you have the weird rocker mold that should have come with the Beck?

T.C.

unfortunately , I never got the rocker mold. All I got was the body, suspension, and the fiberglass fenders and bumpers. Im not sure what happened to that mold... That car is on hold at the moment. And yes, if you have headers that just needs some welds lemme know how much you want! Or possibly trade for something you may need.
carr914
It will a couple days before I have time to dig the headers out, But I will post a picture of them when I do. Good to have you back in the fold. You've got some talent and gives some of us old-timers a chance to to look at things from a different perspective instead of saying this is the way it's always been done.

Where are planning to go to College? My son is at Georgia Southern, looks like he is on the Seven year plan. huh.gif

T.C.
grasshopper
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 28 2008, 07:29 AM) *

It will a couple days before I have time to dig the headers out, But I will post a picture of them when I do. Good to have you back in the fold. You've got some talent and gives some of us old-timers a chance to to look at things from a different perspective instead of saying this is the way it's always been done.

Where are planning to go to College? My son is at Georgia Southern, looks like he is on the Seven year plan. huh.gif

T.C.

HAHAHAHAHA! Well thats not exactly my scene. I think im going to go to a local college here for the first two years, cause I still have no clue what I wanna do. Then maybe transfer out, maybe not. Im definetly on a FOUR year plan. I just wanna get finished with school.
r_towle
I figured by now you would be driving a car.
Sand it, Paint it, put a /4 in it and drive it for five years.

Then, when you are out of school with a real job, make it a six.

Stop talking...start driving.

Rich
Dr Evil
I forgot to mention the oil cooler and fly wheel.
grasshopper
Update. It is a 2.2 /6
JoeSharp
Hey Berry, it's good to see you posting again. I like the Dr's offer. If you could put a -4 in and can be happy while your in school and then build it the way you want it later it makes sence also.
I hope you and your father can make it to the WCR next year, it would be nice to see you guys again.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 28 2008, 12:49 AM) *

Welcome back, I figured you were out getting more ass than a public toilet seat....

Welcome back indeed.

Now as for Mike's metaphor... barf.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 28 2008, 12:19 PM) *

Update. It is a 2.2 /6

Still easy as it doesnt have the expensive cylinders smile.gif
grasshopper
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jul 28 2008, 09:10 AM) *

Hey Berry, it's good to see you posting again. I like the Dr's offer. If you could put a -4 in and can be happy while your in school and then build it the way you want it later it makes sence also.
I hope you and your father can make it to the WCR next year, it would be nice to see you guys again.

We shall see. My real goal is to have it, if not finished, at least road worthy by next years WCR, so I can drive it out there. So if the six isnt ready, a 2.0 four may be a good option, but I have a year to work on it, so we shall see what comes. As for now I think im going to shoot for the six!
SGB
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 28 2008, 02:21 PM) *

...next years WCR, so I can drive it out there.

ROAD TRIP!

East meets West. smile.gif
JoeSharp
Beauty has a 2.2 S motor in her and I've always been happy with her.
You guys drive out and we'll do something special for you.
carr914
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 28 2008, 11:17 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 28 2008, 04:40 AM) *

T.C.

unfortunately , I never got the rocker mold. All I got was the body, suspension, and the fiberglass fenders and bumpers. Im not sure what happened to that mold... That car is on hold at the moment. And yes, if you have headers that just needs some welds lemme know how much you want! Or possibly trade for something you may need.

Hi Barry, Here are some pictures of the headers I have. Just a few pin holes, nothing you can't fix and then some Jet-Hot or Temp-resistant paint and your ready.

I have to work up near the Florida/Georgia line around Aug 18th or 19th. Do you think you could meet me on I-75, just North of the State line to pick these up?

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.