Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Originality versus function question, Marelli or Bosch dizzy?
Project 6
post Aug 1 2008, 08:42 PM
Post #1

large member

Group: Members
Member No.: 51
Region Association: None

I'm doing a ground up restoration on a 1970, 2.0/6 and I'm striving towards originality. Engine and trans are original. Rebuilt but match the COA numberwise.

I know the Marelli came stock but has an unobtanium issue with the cap and rotor. When you CAN find a part it comes with a tube of KY Jelly. There's one on eBay right now $350. link

Is it worth it? Or is the Bosch the easiest thing to do? Not that I'm going to compete in a Concours but do they ding you for not having the correct dizzy? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

This post has been edited by Project 6: Aug 1 2008, 08:44 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 1 2008, 09:14 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Get the right dizzy, keep it complete and stock.

Call a few of the shops that fix them...HPH, Jim at Easy, AA, local to you porsche shops...

You should be able to find one at a reasonable price.
Jim at Easy would be my first call.

Rich
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Aug 1 2008, 09:17 PM
Post #3

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(Project 6 @ Aug 1 2008, 10:42 PM) *

I know the Marelli came stock but has an unobtanium issue with the cap and rotor.
Is it worth it? Or is the Bosch the easiest thing to do? Not that I'm going to compete in a Concours but do they ding you for not having the correct dizzy?

If the dizzy is your last 0.1 point in a nationally judged event, it may be worth it to you. My Euro /6 had a Marelli which I believe was original. My US /6 had a Bosch by the time I got it, and I donno if it was original to the car or not - there were a few things on that car that weren't.

Nowadays most PCA concours are cleanliness events, not originality. There are few judges who would know what's correct. I had a Parade judge ask me if the drilled & wired CV bolts were original...

(Do you have original, factory-applied paint? Do you have period-correct 165-series tires?)

Just stuff to consider...
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Aug 1 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

My 70 -6 had the Marelli distributor, but when it started going south, I simply replaced it with an easily serviced Bosch unit. You have to be sure to get the correct one, but will be happy with it.

Keep the original Marelli in a box (along with the removed throttle positioner, etc.) for some future concours weinie, and enjoy driving the car in the meantime. It is a simple bolt in conversion, so you're not destroying anything.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Aug 2 2008, 09:57 AM
Post #5

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

A functional upgrade like a good distributor (Bosch) for a marginal one with scarce replacement parts (Marelli) won't detract from the value of your 6. As George said, unless your car is a national concours contender, go with the better part.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 02:33 AM