Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Originality versus function question, Marelli or Bosch dizzy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Project 6
I'm doing a ground up restoration on a 1970, 2.0/6 and I'm striving towards originality. Engine and trans are original. Rebuilt but match the COA numberwise.

I know the Marelli came stock but has an unobtanium issue with the cap and rotor. When you CAN find a part it comes with a tube of KY Jelly. There's one on eBay right now $350. link

Is it worth it? Or is the Bosch the easiest thing to do? Not that I'm going to compete in a Concours but do they ding you for not having the correct dizzy? confused24.gif
r_towle
Get the right dizzy, keep it complete and stock.

Call a few of the shops that fix them...HPH, Jim at Easy, AA, local to you porsche shops...

You should be able to find one at a reasonable price.
Jim at Easy would be my first call.

Rich
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Project 6 @ Aug 1 2008, 10:42 PM) *

I know the Marelli came stock but has an unobtanium issue with the cap and rotor.
Is it worth it? Or is the Bosch the easiest thing to do? Not that I'm going to compete in a Concours but do they ding you for not having the correct dizzy?

If the dizzy is your last 0.1 point in a nationally judged event, it may be worth it to you. My Euro /6 had a Marelli which I believe was original. My US /6 had a Bosch by the time I got it, and I donno if it was original to the car or not - there were a few things on that car that weren't.

Nowadays most PCA concours are cleanliness events, not originality. There are few judges who would know what's correct. I had a Parade judge ask me if the drilled & wired CV bolts were original...

(Do you have original, factory-applied paint? Do you have period-correct 165-series tires?)

Just stuff to consider...
GeorgeRud
My 70 -6 had the Marelli distributor, but when it started going south, I simply replaced it with an easily serviced Bosch unit. You have to be sure to get the correct one, but will be happy with it.

Keep the original Marelli in a box (along with the removed throttle positioner, etc.) for some future concours weinie, and enjoy driving the car in the meantime. It is a simple bolt in conversion, so you're not destroying anything.
IronHillRestorations
A functional upgrade like a good distributor (Bosch) for a marginal one with scarce replacement parts (Marelli) won't detract from the value of your 6. As George said, unless your car is a national concours contender, go with the better part.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.