Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Will adding a right side mirror reduce value?
Kansas 914
post Aug 10 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

My '72 was not delivered with the right side mirror. I have been thinking of adding it.

Will it reduce the value? I have not added the usual items like hood crest and reflector so the the body and interior are as delivered from the dealer (other than the carbs - but the engine/tranny is numbers matching and with the correct parts the EFI could be restored in an afternoon).

Thanks as always.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Aug 11 2008, 02:24 PM
Post #2

Hungry Mind : Thirsty Gullet

Member No.: 6,265
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

There's no "correct" answer to your question Mike, it's purely subjective depending on the buyer. A passenger-side mirror would be a minus in the eyes of a CW, yes. My guess is that many (most?) potential buyers probably wouldn't even notice, and of those that did many may not mind that it's there.

The factory put the mounting plate in the door, so done properly it's a reasonable change insofar as that it's safety oriented. Of course, that's just my opinion. FWIW, I've read that it actually was a factory option, just not one that was executed on many cars (very few, actually).

Reid
+Quote Post
tod914
post Aug 11 2008, 05:29 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

I would just be concerned about potential for rust starting from the drilled holes.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 11 2008, 06:31 PM
Post #4

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

The stock doors already have the supports welded on the inside skin of the door. Take the panel off and feel inside. I used a punch, dimpled the door skin and drilled them out. It was an option....from the factory that was installed by the dealers.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 11 2008, 07:34 PM
Post #5

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

The doors were set up for a pass side mirror, in that they were equipped with the mounting nuts under the door skin. It really shouldn't be a major issue if done properly, and would be nice to have.

As some of you know, I'm scared shitless about drilling holes - no radio antennae, etc. But, if I weren't so anal, the mirror would come before the antennae (the sweat noises from the rear are good enough for me, as is).

Would I be concerned about a pass side mirror installation? Probably not, and it only takes a screwdriver to see if it was done properly.
Pat
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Aug 11 2008, 09:01 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 11 2008, 06:34 PM) *

The doors were set up for a pass side mirror, in that they were equipped with the mounting nuts under the door skin. It really shouldn't be a major issue if done properly, and would be nice to have.

As some of you know, I'm scared shitless about drilling holes - no radio antennae, etc. But, if I weren't so anal, the mirror would come before the antennae (the sweat noises from the rear are good enough for me, as is).

Would I be concerned about a pass side mirror installation? Probably not, and it only takes a screwdriver to see if it was done properly.
Pat

Thanks for the replies.

I too am scared shitless when considering drilling holes in the '72. I have confirmed that the support is there and waiting for a mirror...

As for potential rust - the car is going to the body shop for paint (L63K) in a few weeks and would be primed and painted after the holes were "punched".

I haven't ordered a COA yet for the car - but I doubt it would list whether it shipped with right side mirror or not since that was more than likely not a factory (damn few) but probably a dealer add like side stripes (oops did I open a can of worms there?)...

I think I have decided not to add the mirror on the '72. I have owned it since '78 and have gotten by this long without it - of course the last 20 years it has been holding down jackstands.....

I know I could revert the motor back to original in a weekend (back to fuel injection) but covering up a holes in the body for mirrors that weren't there when purchased is a lot more difficult to correct - kind of like removing a hood crest and repairing the "damage".

Thanks again.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 12 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #7

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Aug 11 2008, 09:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 11 2008, 06:34 PM) *

Pat

Thanks for the replies.

I too am scared shitless when considering drilling holes in the '72. I have confirmed that the support is there and waiting for a mirror...

As for potential rust - the car is going to the body shop for paint (L63K) in a few weeks and would be primed and painted after the holes were "punched".

I haven't ordered a COA yet for the car - but I doubt it would list whether it shipped with right side mirror or not since that was more than likely not a factory (damn few) but probably a dealer add like side stripes (oops did I open a can of worms there?)...

I think I have decided not to add the mirror on the '72. I have owned it since '78 and have gotten by this long without it - of course the last 20 years it has been holding down jackstands.....

I know I could revert the motor back to original in a weekend (back to fuel injection) but covering up a holes in the body for mirrors that weren't there when purchased is a lot more difficult to correct - kind of like removing a hood crest and repairing the "damage".

Thanks again.

"removing a hood crest and repairing the "damage".

Well stated!
Pat

+Quote Post
type47fan
post Sep 6 2008, 09:32 PM
Post #8

It Looks Better In Person. . .

Member No.: 1,170
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 11 2008, 05:34 PM) *

(the sweat noises from the rear are good enough for me, as is).

Your engine must be working really hard to generate "sweat" noises . . . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . . . or taken completely out of context . . .never mind. . . .

Thanks,
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 07:03 PM