Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will adding a right side mirror reduce value?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Kansas 914
My '72 was not delivered with the right side mirror. I have been thinking of adding it.

Will it reduce the value? I have not added the usual items like hood crest and reflector so the the body and interior are as delivered from the dealer (other than the carbs - but the engine/tranny is numbers matching and with the correct parts the EFI could be restored in an afternoon).

Thanks as always.
Lavanaut
There's no "correct" answer to your question Mike, it's purely subjective depending on the buyer. A passenger-side mirror would be a minus in the eyes of a CW, yes. My guess is that many (most?) potential buyers probably wouldn't even notice, and of those that did many may not mind that it's there.

The factory put the mounting plate in the door, so done properly it's a reasonable change insofar as that it's safety oriented. Of course, that's just my opinion. FWIW, I've read that it actually was a factory option, just not one that was executed on many cars (very few, actually).

Reid
tod914
I would just be concerned about potential for rust starting from the drilled holes.
Joe Bob
The stock doors already have the supports welded on the inside skin of the door. Take the panel off and feel inside. I used a punch, dimpled the door skin and drilled them out. It was an option....from the factory that was installed by the dealers.
Pat Garvey
The doors were set up for a pass side mirror, in that they were equipped with the mounting nuts under the door skin. It really shouldn't be a major issue if done properly, and would be nice to have.

As some of you know, I'm scared shitless about drilling holes - no radio antennae, etc. But, if I weren't so anal, the mirror would come before the antennae (the sweat noises from the rear are good enough for me, as is).

Would I be concerned about a pass side mirror installation? Probably not, and it only takes a screwdriver to see if it was done properly.
Pat
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 11 2008, 06:34 PM) *

The doors were set up for a pass side mirror, in that they were equipped with the mounting nuts under the door skin. It really shouldn't be a major issue if done properly, and would be nice to have.

As some of you know, I'm scared shitless about drilling holes - no radio antennae, etc. But, if I weren't so anal, the mirror would come before the antennae (the sweat noises from the rear are good enough for me, as is).

Would I be concerned about a pass side mirror installation? Probably not, and it only takes a screwdriver to see if it was done properly.
Pat

Thanks for the replies.

I too am scared shitless when considering drilling holes in the '72. I have confirmed that the support is there and waiting for a mirror...

As for potential rust - the car is going to the body shop for paint (L63K) in a few weeks and would be primed and painted after the holes were "punched".

I haven't ordered a COA yet for the car - but I doubt it would list whether it shipped with right side mirror or not since that was more than likely not a factory (damn few) but probably a dealer add like side stripes (oops did I open a can of worms there?)...

I think I have decided not to add the mirror on the '72. I have owned it since '78 and have gotten by this long without it - of course the last 20 years it has been holding down jackstands.....

I know I could revert the motor back to original in a weekend (back to fuel injection) but covering up a holes in the body for mirrors that weren't there when purchased is a lot more difficult to correct - kind of like removing a hood crest and repairing the "damage".

Thanks again.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Aug 11 2008, 09:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 11 2008, 06:34 PM) *

Pat

Thanks for the replies.

I too am scared shitless when considering drilling holes in the '72. I have confirmed that the support is there and waiting for a mirror...

As for potential rust - the car is going to the body shop for paint (L63K) in a few weeks and would be primed and painted after the holes were "punched".

I haven't ordered a COA yet for the car - but I doubt it would list whether it shipped with right side mirror or not since that was more than likely not a factory (damn few) but probably a dealer add like side stripes (oops did I open a can of worms there?)...

I think I have decided not to add the mirror on the '72. I have owned it since '78 and have gotten by this long without it - of course the last 20 years it has been holding down jackstands.....

I know I could revert the motor back to original in a weekend (back to fuel injection) but covering up a holes in the body for mirrors that weren't there when purchased is a lot more difficult to correct - kind of like removing a hood crest and repairing the "damage".

Thanks again.

"removing a hood crest and repairing the "damage".

Well stated!
Pat

type47fan
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 11 2008, 05:34 PM) *

(the sweat noises from the rear are good enough for me, as is).

Your engine must be working really hard to generate "sweat" noises . . . . biggrin.gif . . . or taken completely out of context . . .never mind. . . .

Thanks,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.