Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> club members deserve preferential treatment
blitZ
post Aug 15 2008, 01:46 PM
Post #41

Beer please...

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,719
Region Association: South East States

This is got to be a first. An AA thread which broke out in a history lesson.

Keep up the good work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 15 2008, 02:06 PM
Post #42

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

QUOTE(johnlush @ Aug 15 2008, 09:35 AM) *

Don't look now but woman were given the right to vote first on the East Coast.

The original open-minded society. I have to say VA will probably be the last

though.

Wyoming's on the east coast? East coast of Utah maybe! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

And for an on topic comment, George while I appreciate your intention I find it a bit disturbing to think that if I were to order from you again and failed to mention my World membership that my order would somehow mean less to you.

John

everyone has their prejudice. I just happen to love 914s best. Most of our orders are for 944 parts and then 911 parts and then 356 parts. They all usually go out that day, but the service means that for example if the 914 member order needs a used part that is up the street on one of the dearly departed we will try to get it that day instead of waiting until the next day to retrieve it with all of the other parts on the list. Less efficient but more 914 world oriented
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 15 2008, 02:10 PM
Post #43

914 Guru

QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 14 2008, 08:52 AM) *

At least your not Irish....

NICE! As George Augustine Hussey IV, who's great great grandfather Patrick came over during the Irish potato famine and worked his Irish Catholic butt off monitoring a lock on the Delaware canal and raising 12 children on his farm, I am proud to be an Irish American Catholic and want you to retract your derogatory remark towards our race as my thin skinned ethnic mentality is VERY offended. Long live the Pope!
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 15 2008, 02:17 PM
Post #44

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 15 2008, 12:10 PM) *

NICE! As George Augustine Hussey IV, who's great great grandfather Patrick came over during the Irish potato famine and worked his Irish Catholic butt off monitoring a lock on the Delaware canal and raising 12 children on his farm, I am proud to be an Irish American Catholic and want you to retract your derogatory remark towards our race as my thin skinned ethnic mentality is VERY offended. Long live the Pope!

I drank Irish Whiskey last night ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 15 2008, 02:21 PM
Post #45

914 Guru

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 15 2008, 01:17 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 15 2008, 12:10 PM) *

Thank you. Bushmills is our national drink.
+Quote Post
ventedrib
post Aug 15 2008, 03:31 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 9,406

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 15 2008, 01:28 PM) *

Does that mean that after all these years I'll finally git a free autoatlanta tee shirt.

though.

Wyoming's on the east coast? East coast of Utah maybe! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

And for an on topic comment, George while I appreciate your intention I find it a bit disturbing to think that if I were to order from you again and failed to mention my World membership that my order would somehow mean less to you.

John

Allow me to rephrase that, it all started it the east and finished in the east. Tennessee no less...They (woman) had an Amendment that legally gave them the right to vote. Utah also had Polygamy until 1890, didn't make it the law of the land. My .02

Introduction
The beginning of the fight for women suffrage is usually traced to the "Declaration of Sentiments" produced at the first woman's rights convention in Seneca Falls, N. Y. in 1848. Four years later, at the Woman's Rights Convention in Syracuse in 1852, Susan B. Anthony joined the fight, arguing that "the right women needed above every other...was the right of suffrage."
During debates on the Reconstruction Amendments which extended the vote to ex-slaves (through the 15th Amendment), suffragists pushed hard for "universal suffrage," but they never had a chance.

In 1872, a suffragists brought a series of court challenges designed to test whether voting was a "privilege" of "U. S. citizenship" now belonging to women by virtue of the recently adopted 14th Amendment. One such challenge grew out of a criminal prosecution of Susan B. Anthony for illegally voting in the 1872 election. The first case to make its way to the Supreme Court, however, was Minor vs Happersett (1875). In Minor, a unanimous Court rejected the argument that either the privileges and immunities clause or the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment extended the vote to women. Following Minor, suffragists turned their attention from the courts to the states and to Congress.

In 1878, a constitutional amendment was proposed that provided "The right of citizens to vote shall not be abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex." This same amendment would be introduced in every session of Congress for the next 41 years.

In July 1890, the Territory of Wyoming, which allowed women to vote, was admitted as a state. Wyoming became the first state with women suffrage. By 1900, Utah, Colorado, and Idaho joined Wyoming in allowing women to vote.

In 1912, Theodore Roosevelt's Progressive (Bull Moose) Party became the first national political party to have a plank supporting women suffrage. The tide was beginning to turn.

In May, 1919, the necessary two-thirds vote in favor of the women suffrage amendment was finally mustered in Congress, and the proposed amendment was sent to the states for ratification. By July 1920, with a number of primarily southern states adamantly opposed to the amendment, it all came down to Tennessee. It appeared that the amendment might fail by one vote in the Tennessee house, but twenty-four-year-old Harry Burn surprised observers by casting the deciding vote for ratification. At the time of his vote, Burns had in his pocket a letter he had received from his mother urging him, "Don't forget to be a good boy" and "vote for suffrage." Women had finally won the vote.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 15 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #47

914 Guru

EVERYONE who placed a 200 plus order from the new catalog is entitled to one with their order.

QUOTE(ventedrib @ Aug 15 2008, 02:31 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 15 2008, 01:28 PM) *

Does that mean that after all these years I'll finally git a free autoatlanta tee shirt.

though.

John

Allow me to rephrase that, it all started it the east and finished in the east. Tennessee no less...They (woman) had an Amendment that legally gave them the right to vote. Utah also had Polygamy until 1890, didn't make it the law of the land. My .02

Introduction
The beginning of the fight for women suffrage is usually traced to the "Declaration of Sentiments" produced at the first woman's rights convention in Seneca Falls, N. Y. in 1848. Four years later, at the Woman's Rights Convention in Syracuse in 1852, Susan B. Anthony joined the fight, arguing that "the right women needed above every other...was the right of suffrage."
During debates on the Reconstruction Amendments which extended the vote to ex-slaves (through the 15th Amendment), suffragists pushed hard for "universal suffrage," but they never had a chance.

In 1872, a suffragists brought a series of court challenges designed to test whether voting was a "privilege" of "U. S. citizenship" now belonging to women by virtue of the recently adopted 14th Amendment. One such challenge grew out of a criminal prosecution of Susan B. Anthony for illegally voting in the 1872 election. The first case to make its way to the Supreme Court, however, was Minor vs Happersett (1875). In Minor, a unanimous Court rejected the argument that either the privileges and immunities clause or the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment extended the vote to women. Following Minor, suffragists turned their attention from the courts to the states and to Congress.

In 1878, a constitutional amendment was proposed that provided "The right of citizens to vote shall not be abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex." This same amendment would be introduced in every session of Congress for the next 41 years.

In July 1890, the Territory of Wyoming, which allowed women to vote, was admitted as a state. Wyoming became the first state with women suffrage. By 1900, Utah, Colorado, and Idaho joined Wyoming in allowing women to vote.

In 1912, Theodore Roosevelt's Progressive (Bull Moose) Party became the first national political party to have a plank supporting women suffrage. The tide was beginning to turn.

In May, 1919, the necessary two-thirds vote in favor of the women suffrage amendment was finally mustered in Congress, and the proposed amendment was sent to the states for ratification. By July 1920, with a number of primarily southern states adamantly opposed to the amendment, it all came down to Tennessee. It appeared that the amendment might fail by one vote in the Tennessee house, but twenty-four-year-old Harry Burn surprised observers by casting the deciding vote for ratification. At the time of his vote, Burns had in his pocket a letter he had received from his mother urging him, "Don't forget to be a good boy" and "vote for suffrage." Women had finally won the vote.

+Quote Post
Gustl
post Aug 15 2008, 03:59 PM
Post #48

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

o.k. - I didn't read all this stuff, because it would take me too long

but could you please correct that quote thing - so it would be clear who's quoting what and so on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

btw - I absolutely love Kilkenny beer

(IMG:http://www.emailleschilder.com/fotos-a/kilkenny-oval.jpg)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) Gustl
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 15 2008, 04:14 PM
Post #49

914 Guru

QUOTE(Gustl @ Aug 15 2008, 02:59 PM) *

o.k. - I didn't read all this stuff, because it would take me too long

but could you please correct that quote thing - so it would be clear who's quoting what and so on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

btw - I absolutely love Kilkenny beer

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) Gustl

thank you for enjoying one of our beers. I wanted to make St. Patrick's day a national holiday and force everyone to work harder that day.
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Aug 15 2008, 05:53 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I placed an order with AA the other day, and an order with PP the same day. Parts arrived on the exact same truck! (although the driver did hand me the PP box first!)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Good news to hear though!
+Quote Post
richardmosselman
post Aug 17 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #51

slvr bullet

Member No.: 4,822

Thanks George for this offer. Being from the Great White North I do have a minor rant. While surfing E-Bay 'Porsche 914' I came upon an offer of NOS 914 side mirrors for $99. I thought what the hell I've always wanted one for the pass side and put in an order with one minor stipulation...that the item be shipped by USPS. I have got dinged so badly by UPS/FED-EX in the past as they charge 'brokerage fees' etc. I once refused a package that was valued at $25 because (UPS) wanted $85 in fees. Long story short; after placing the order I requested a shipping quote using USPS; to my shock the quote came back at $55!!! With additional customs and duty after crossing the border (which I'm fine with paying) the total amt would be closer to $200! I replied that if this was indeed the shipping charge, I'd have to pass. Is this a true shipping charge ? Thanks again for helping the 914 community. Richard
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 17 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #52

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 13 2008, 08:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Aug 12 2008, 09:53 PM) *

So if I order from AA along with notating that I am a world member can you also note that I am handsome and possibly hostile, we all want to be like Wills, lol. :(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif):all in fun.

A lot of handsome guys are hostile, especially to woman. Look at pretty boy John Edwards!

Yuk, yuk!

Well said, George! Can you harbor your feelings/frustrations for those who leave a trail of slime behind? Doubt it. Sorta why I like you!
Pat
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 17 2008, 08:43 PM
Post #53

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(richardmosselman @ Aug 17 2008, 01:53 PM) *

Thanks George for this offer. Being from the Great White North I do have a minor rant. While surfing E-Bay 'Porsche 914' I came upon an offer of NOS 914 side mirrors for $99. I thought what the hell I've always wanted one for the pass side and put in an order with one minor stipulation...that the item be shipped by USPS. I have got dinged so badly by UPS/FED-EX in the past as they charge 'brokerage fees' etc. I once refused a package that was valued at $25 because (UPS) wanted $85 in fees. Long story short; after placing the order I requested a shipping quote using USPS; to my shock the quote came back at $55!!! With additional customs and duty after crossing the border (which I'm fine with paying) the total amt would be closer to $200! I replied that if this was indeed the shipping charge, I'd have to pass. Is this a true shipping charge ? Thanks again for helping the 914 community. Richard

You can only get a quote for "priority" USPS over the net, this is what you got. If
they went to the post office and asked for standard mail that would come out $15.
So it would cost $15 plus $5 brokerage and tax.

Most company's don't give a crap about Canadian customers and send it the easiest way for them, so we get (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

I won't deal with FedEx and barely tolerate UPS.

+Quote Post
scottb
post Aug 17 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #54

who wants a PEZ?!

Member No.: 32
Region Association: North East States

[/quote]
[/quote]

i have flown over ireland a few times on my way to england!!!!

again, thanks george.....

and tullamore dew is really tasty!!!
+Quote Post
dlestep
post Aug 17 2008, 09:57 PM
Post #55

I am smilin'...

Member No.: 8,573

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 12 2008, 06:12 PM) *

It has gone on long enough! We treat all customers the same and I am tired of it. Starting monday aug 18 2008 914 world members will get preferential treatment here at Automobile Atlanta. We will put your orders at the head of the line much like the overnight orders so that you will have the parts in your hands much more quickly than normal!
The key here is to be sure to tell us that you are a WORLD member! We will note it in your customer file, and voila, you are at the head of the pack!

I'd like to my two cents in on this.
I have been purchasing odds and ends for my 914s since 1990 or so, little things that were missing, and haven't purchased anything of real costs from AA. Not because of anything specific, but I have always been able to find what I needed, and they were eager to help. They have always shipped things out in a timely manner.
I do like to mention Charley, the parts guy. He is personable, and immediately, he wants to be your private parts guy. Kinda feels like the gear heads back in the 60s, the real guys that are in the same zone.
Recently, I believe after I asked two or three questions, we were off and talking car stuff.
AA has always been there for any 914 guys, whether they purchase a handbrake switch or a big item kit, they treat you the same.
Thanks AA for being there when I needed the fuel pump in Seattle, the brake master cylinder in Kentucky, or that handbrake switch, and a bag of bolts in Florida.
dlestep
+Quote Post
richardmosselman
post Aug 17 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #56

slvr bullet

Member No.: 4,822

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 17 2008, 07:43 PM) *

QUOTE(richardmosselman @ Aug 17 2008, 01:53 PM) *

You can only get a quote for "priority" USPS over the net, this is what you got. If
they went to the post office and asked for standard mail that would come out $15.
So it would cost $15 plus $5 brokerage and tax.

Most company's don't give a crap about Canadian customers and send it the easiest way for them, so we get (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

I won't deal with FedEx and barely tolerate UPS.

Ah, that explains it but nobody got back to me. If they can indeed send it 'regular' mail I'd go for it. Maybe I should phone the order in.Thanks for the info, R
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Aug 18 2008, 01:15 AM
Post #57

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

My first girlfriend was Irish.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 18 2008, 09:19 AM
Post #58

914 Guru

Shipping to Canada, which we consider a set of our Northern states, or we Canadian southern states, is always a bunch of bull! In addition to all of the customs duties, the special forms the extra shipping charges, and the ridiculous array of shipping quotes we get are outrageous, as if we are shipping to Iran or something!!!!!!!!! Half of the time duties are never paid and we have to pay them instead, long after the package is delivered, so suffer there too. The post office mailing usually avoids this, but signed delivery is not possible, and if lost the part is history. That is why we shy away from the post office.
I agree with you shipping is outrageous and quotes vary. We just shipped two mirrors to ontario for 49.50.

QUOTE(richardmosselman @ Aug 17 2008, 10:53 AM) *

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 18 2008, 09:23 AM
Post #59

914 Guru

QUOTE(Lou W @ Aug 18 2008, 12:15 AM) *

My two irish catholic sisters were real Husseys before they got married.
+Quote Post
dlestep
post Aug 19 2008, 11:26 AM
Post #60

I am smilin'...

Member No.: 8,573

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 18 2008, 11:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Lou W @ Aug 18 2008, 12:15 AM) *

My two irish catholic sisters were real Husseys before they got married.

I spit my coffee all over the floor and dropped my cigarette in my lap on this one.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 09:50 AM