Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Axle Questions, 914 and 911
Eric_Shea
post Aug 22 2008, 05:12 PM
Post #1

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Anyone have the actual 914 axle length off the top of their (lavender mohawk) head?

I also need the spline count for an ass-dragger CV/Axle. Come on East coast Rich Brianiac(s)... make yourselves useful!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Why? I'm looking at getting custom axles to use with 911 (coarse) tranny flanges, 911 CV's and 911 stub axles.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gary
post Aug 22 2008, 06:07 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 134
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Eric,

If you're looking for a one-off, you can source 911 coarse-spline sportomatic flanges and use '72-'73 911 axles/CV's. I recall the difference in axle length is about 1/2". The sporto flanges make up about 3/8" of that.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 22 2008, 06:14 PM
Post #3

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

914:
20 1/4" Overall length compressed ..... 33 splines each end of beam for bearing cages

911:
69 - 71 ... 19 1/8" Overall length compressed ..... 28 splines each end of beam for bearing cages

72 - 75 ... 19 7/16" Overall length compressed ..... 28 splines each end of beam for bearing cages.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 22 2008, 06:44 PM
Post #4

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

OHhhhhhhhhhhh... LOOKIE WHO WOKE UP!

Welcome back Rumpleslitskin. And HELPFUL at that!! (and ya beat out the right coasters... very proud) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Thanks Ron-O. I think that's all I need but, I kinda do and kinda don't understand "compressed". If I were to get replacement axles themselves, wouldn't I want the actual axle shaft length of a teener, compressed or not? I realise the CV's may extend beyond the axle shaft so compressing them would give me... the actual measurement of the shaft?

If so... I guess I need 28 spline axles in the 20.25 length. Right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Thanks Gary. I have a pair of coarse splines bolted to the box right now. I think I can get some off the shelfers that may fit my need by using those. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks Paul for the guidance.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 22 2008, 07:01 PM
Post #5

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

All CVs are measured compressed .... you are correct.

In this case, the compressed length is the Beam length due to their construction.

Sorry (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif)

+Quote Post
Gary
post Aug 22 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 134
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 22 2008, 04:44 PM) *

Thanks Gary. I have a pair of coarse splines bolted to the box right now. I think I can get some off the shelfers that may fit my need by using those. I'll let you know what I come up with.

If'n you need a set of the longer sporto flanges, lemme know. I have a spare set (don't ask me why...).
+Quote Post
brp986s
post Aug 22 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,167

late '75 to '84 cv's are 25 spline, just like 914-6 axles, and are $82 at PP. early 911 cv's are $280 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif)

"85 to '89 cv's are 28 spline, but have huge diameter and won't fit your coarse flanges.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 11:03 AM