Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Axle Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
Anyone have the actual 914 axle length off the top of their (lavender mohawk) head?

I also need the spline count for an ass-dragger CV/Axle. Come on East coast Rich Brianiac(s)... make yourselves useful!!! w00t.gif

Why? I'm looking at getting custom axles to use with 911 (coarse) tranny flanges, 911 CV's and 911 stub axles.
Gary
Eric,

If you're looking for a one-off, you can source 911 coarse-spline sportomatic flanges and use '72-'73 911 axles/CV's. I recall the difference in axle length is about 1/2". The sporto flanges make up about 3/8" of that.
SLITS
914:
20 1/4" Overall length compressed ..... 33 splines each end of beam for bearing cages

911:
69 - 71 ... 19 1/8" Overall length compressed ..... 28 splines each end of beam for bearing cages

72 - 75 ... 19 7/16" Overall length compressed ..... 28 splines each end of beam for bearing cages.
Eric_Shea
OHhhhhhhhhhhh... LOOKIE WHO WOKE UP!

Welcome back Rumpleslitskin. And HELPFUL at that!! (and ya beat out the right coasters... very proud) wub.gif

Thanks Ron-O. I think that's all I need but, I kinda do and kinda don't understand "compressed". If I were to get replacement axles themselves, wouldn't I want the actual axle shaft length of a teener, compressed or not? I realise the CV's may extend beyond the axle shaft so compressing them would give me... the actual measurement of the shaft?

If so... I guess I need 28 spline axles in the 20.25 length. Right? confused24.gif

Thanks Gary. I have a pair of coarse splines bolted to the box right now. I think I can get some off the shelfers that may fit my need by using those. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks Paul for the guidance.
SLITS
All CVs are measured compressed .... you are correct.

In this case, the compressed length is the Beam length due to their construction.

Sorry yellowsleep[1].gif

Gary
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 22 2008, 04:44 PM) *

Thanks Gary. I have a pair of coarse splines bolted to the box right now. I think I can get some off the shelfers that may fit my need by using those. I'll let you know what I come up with.

If'n you need a set of the longer sporto flanges, lemme know. I have a spare set (don't ask me why...).
brp986s
late '75 to '84 cv's are 25 spline, just like 914-6 axles, and are $82 at PP. early 911 cv's are $280 yikes.gif

"85 to '89 cv's are 28 spline, but have huge diameter and won't fit your coarse flanges.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.