Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dino steering wheels, Do they suck? Update: no, no they don't...
charliew
post Jan 20 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,958

I don't know if a momo porsche horn button will fit the dino wheel. Someone here might know for sure.
I got a really nice dino on ebay. It has leather also covering the spokes. It is very similiar in shape and size to the fitapaldi personal except it has 4 spokes instead of three. The grip diameter is slightly fatter though and it is a flat wheel were the fitapaldi is dished. The personal came with a aluminum hub for a different porsche and I have modified it to fit on the 914. It may be a nardi hub. It came with a porsche horn button. The button fits in the hub adapter, it has a raised ring that the porsche button snaps into. The adapter has both 6 hole patterns.
The porsche horn button also fits perfectly in the dino wheel. I have a momo button but I haven't tried to switch the momo and the porsche buttons. the momo button has a small metal piece that the button fits into instead of snapping into the wheel itself.
The adapter that the personal fits on will not mate up to the dino because of the raised ring for the porsche horn button but you could sand it off flush if thats the way you wanted to go. The dino button snaps into the wheel itself. I am trying to get the right length to add a quick disconnect for the wheel and the flat wheel seems to be easier to fit because the disconnect adds to the length of the hub adapter. The momo adapter that I have is pretty long so it probably won't work except by itself.
I have made a adapter out of a grant 3565 and a aluminum hub that adapts the grant to a momo/nardi 6 hole pattern. I had to cut the od down on the aluminum adapter to look right on the grant. It is the same od as the grant now and I epoxied the two together and filled the area between them with body filler and with the little grooves in it and painted semi gloss black, it looks like a short momo adapter. It's only 2 inches long and I think it will work ok with a quick disconnect and a dished personal. My hands are small and the smaller grip on the personal seems to fit me the best.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Slick914
post Jan 20 2009, 10:38 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 7,802

I had the same Dino with a Porsche button, but not sure which one it was.

I recently bought this horn button on Ebay and it's worth the price. It also says it will fit Dino wheels...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-CRE...sQ5fAccessories

The Dino wheel in my previous 914...

(IMG:http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/philtheskipper/1974%20Porsche%20914/9143_800x600.jpg)

+Quote Post
72914S
post Jan 20 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #23

love this shot

Member No.: 900
Region Association: South East States

Thats the button I saw on ebay. They also have it with gold trim.
+Quote Post
Slick914
post Jan 20 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jan 20 2009, 04:25 PM) *

I hate the horn button though, anyone know where to get a P-logo one for a Dino wheel? The ones you find everywhere for Momo wheels don't fit (ask me how I know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)).

Is the horn hole something other than 2 inches?
+Quote Post
wertygrog
post Jan 20 2009, 11:05 PM
Post #25

wertygrog

Member No.: 5,114
Region Association: Southern California

My Dino is a little different than the others, so I'll post a picture.

I think it looks great and is definitely a quality unit!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Jan 20 2009, 11:21 PM
Post #26

Hungry Mind : Thirsty Gullet

Member No.: 6,265
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Slick914 @ Jan 20 2009, 08:38 PM) *

The Dino wheel in my previous 914...

That's the same horn button that came with my wheel, but it was broken. I've been looking for the same one but haven't had any luck.

QUOTE(72914S @ Jan 20 2009, 08:43 PM) *

Thats the button I saw on ebay. They also have it with gold trim.

Are you sure? There are a TON of these buttons out there (authentic and knock-offs). Are you thinking of this one? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

QUOTE(Slick914 @ Jan 20 2009, 08:47 PM) *

Is the horn hole something other than 2 inches?

Good question for a first date! As for my wheel I'll measure the opening tomorrow. Here's a picture (my site) of the authentic Momo button I bought that is too small for the opening. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Slick914
post Jan 20 2009, 11:39 PM
Post #27

The Luisi button you linked to is the exact same one I linked too, but Luisi charges more. The other seller has them in the silver crest as well.

I used the button on my Grant wheel... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1114767
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jan 20 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #28

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

I have a Momo button with the Porsche crest that fits fine. I had to do something to make it fit perfectly but it looks good and just like that Dino button.
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Jan 21 2009, 01:05 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705

QUOTE(szuccaro @ Aug 28 2008, 12:56 PM) *

Bought mine new, years ago. I like it over the Momo wheel. Steve

were can I get a hub for a victor or nadri
+Quote Post
dw914er
post Jan 21 2009, 01:10 AM
Post #30

Planning Cities

Member No.: 8,763

I like the stock wheel lol

+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Jan 21 2009, 11:10 AM
Post #31

QUOTE(oldschool @ Jan 20 2009, 11:05 PM) *

What year is your car? If it's a '73 + I have a spare hub that I think will work, here.
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Jan 21 2009, 04:45 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jan 21 2009, 09:10 AM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Jan 20 2009, 11:05 PM) *

What year is your car? If it's a '73 + I have a spare hub that I think will work, here.

its a 1973
+Quote Post
Racing916
post Jan 21 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 2,959
Region Association: North East States

Hi I was wondering where you buy the adapter for the dino wheel to fit on a 914. My father has one on his 911 but we could not locate an adapter to fit on the 914, any suggestions?

thanks
steve
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Jan 22 2009, 11:46 AM
Post #34

I've got one for sale but there's someone in line before you who wants it...if that falls through I'll let you know. Otherwise, check eBay or google "Dino hub kit" (w/ quotes).
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 22 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #35

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Racing916 @ Jan 21 2009, 07:11 PM) *

Hi I was wondering where you buy the adapter for the dino wheel to fit on a 914. My father has one on his 911 but we could not locate an adapter to fit on the 914, any suggestions?

thanks
steve

If it is a 6 bolt hum Dino, I am almost certian that you can use the momo adapter. If it is a 5 bolt Dino, then you need to hope you can find what you are looking for via ebay, or something like that.
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Jan 22 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 22 2009, 10:40 AM) *

If it is a 6 bolt hum Dino, I am almost certian that you can use the momo adapter.

I thought so too Zach, but when I was searching for a Dino hub I kept coming across adapters that were described as allowing you to use a Dino wheel on a Momo hub (as though the two weren't plug'n'play compatible w/o it). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I didn't look into though because I eventually found the Dino hub kit and just went that direction. Dunno.
+Quote Post
charliew
post Jan 22 2009, 12:51 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

The stuff that I have bought has two different 6 hole diameter sizes. I think one is 2-3/4 and the other is 2-7/8 but really mm. Momo is the smaller dia. and nardi and dino the larger dia. The nardi and momo use 5mm screws and the dino uses 6mm screws. Most of the new stuff has both diameters in the same hub but not the two different screw sizes always unless they say its for a dino. For instance a adapter could be for a momo to nardi but it wouldn't take a dino because the screws would be the small ones. You could tap the holes to the larger 6mm though. My problem is the different dish depths and trying to use a quick disconnect in the mix without being too close to the levers or to much in your face.

On the quality the dino I have is as good as any momo I have or as good as the fitapaldi I have.

Also the Dino and nardi have the screws two at the top and the momo has one at the center at the top. It gets a little tricky getting the turn canceller centered to work right unless you get the exact hub for your application.

Also somewhere someone said a 72 bug hub would fit a 75 914 but that is wrong. The column and shaft spline seems to be the same but the shaft is about a inch longer on the 914. The shaft bearing and sleeve is the same though.

Lavanaut was nice and sold me the dino hub he had for a good price. It fits the dino wheel I have except the wheel is flat and is too close to the levers. It's too bad it's a really nice dino with padded spokes and a carbon fiber center that holds the button. I have a personal that I just drilled and tapped the smaller holes to fit it although it will need a thin adapter that has a ring to hold the porsche button and for now I will go that way. I might try the disconnect I have but it doesn't use the large screws like the dino wheel.

If the hole in the wheel is too large for a porsche horn button the momo wheel I have (it's one of the momo's that has a wood rim and wood covered spokes) it uses a thin stamped metal ring that holds the momo or porsche horn button. My dino wheel will also hold a porsche horn button without the stamped ring although it's not quite as tight as the dino button.

I bought one of the 15.00 all plastic porsche buttons on ebay and the quality is nowhere near the momo quality. It even sticks when you press it.
+Quote Post
charliew
post Feb 15 2009, 11:49 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

I added some stuff to my previous post about the momo, nardi and the dino wheels and adapters I have been messing with. It can be a real mess if you try to make things work that you have laying around. Just bite the bullet and order the expensive hub you need rather than mixing and fitting stuff unless you're like me and think you can make anything work.

This all started when I needed a nice wheel for my son's 72 bug and I read where the bug and 914 were the same. Boy is that baloney. I ended up with three wheel combos for the bug and nothing ready to go for the 914. Luckily for me I have a yard full of bugs.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 08:51 AM