Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT-You can't turbo a Porsch/VW motor, ha,ha, Yes you can!! See attached photo's
TJB/914
post Aug 27 2008, 05:53 PM
Post #1

Mid-Engn.

Group: Members
Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hi All,

Had a surprise when I went to pickup some of my 914 powder coated parts at Exotic Coatings in Romulus, MI. Exotic Coatings is owned by Joe Williams who's dad is my long time childhood friend. My good friend Fred started the business & turned it over to the son, but Fred is still in charge. They give me good prices & quality work because of our long time friendship. It's great to have friends in high places. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Anyway, I didn't know they built this beautiful (4) passanger street buggy with a Turbo fired Type-1 motor. Because they own a powder coating shop you can see why it's a beauty. The motor was built by Pete, a local personal buddy of Fred (free) for some (free) powder coating on his street buggy. Joe told me they ran it at the Woodward Cruise at 10-lbs boast putting out about 350-hp. He said it will put out close to 400-hp with a boast of 13-14-lbs. My question, is this true hp or were they BSing me?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

I'll get a ride in it sometime soon. Here's some photo's to drool over. It's a Type-1 motor so I'll only post a few pics. unless you want more. Speak up please.

Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 23)
Joe Bob
post Aug 28 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #21

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

QUOTE(zig-n-zag @ Aug 28 2008, 08:24 PM) *

It looks to me he's got it somewhat detuned because of the fan belt and the 009 dizzy. He does have a big 4-bolt turbo and delta wastegate so maybe slap on a locked-out magneto and turn up the boost with VP c-16 and he'll see 400. A few years ago I saw a bolt on side draft throttle body using a stand alone system and thought that might be the way to go to modernize the draw through carb delivery. Less cost and less complexity if it could feed the fuel when off or on boost, just what a daily driven 914 needs. I think the Mallory box has a ignition retard......

Mine has a 009...but it's gutted and uses the Megasquirt to control advance and dwell.

(IMG:http://www.cbperformance.com/images/turnkey.jpg)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Aug 28 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #22

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ottox914 @ Aug 28 2008, 07:48 PM) *

Love the Panasports. They look great on the car. Had a little leaking problem with them, but turned out to be the type of rim weight used to balance them. Have switched to stick on weights and no more slow leaks. Thanks for the great deal.

Here is the car, rims, and turbo parked in display mode in front of the GRM tent at Road America a month ago or so.

Man, your car really looks fine. I'm glad the wheels found a good home. No, a great home.

One thing though Dave. I guess you haven't heard. You can't turbo a T4.

Speaking of sidedrafts and draw-throughs, here's my son's old turbo bug:

(IMG:http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/paulillick/Andrestrubomotor.jpg)

He did that when he was about 18 and he didn't let me know. He knew I didn't much like turbos so he did it out of spare parts when I wasn't looking. That exhaust was supposed to be temporary to get the engine running, but it threw out big flames that the kids thought were cool, so he left it on. They were 18, don't forget. It was cool, I guess, until one evening when a policeman pulled up closer behind him to see what the hell this kid had sticking out of his engine and was staring into the engine compartment trying to figure it out just what that was when it farted a fireball. The cop was not amused. Only gave him a fixit ticket, but that was the end of the turbo.
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 29 2008, 07:58 AM
Post #23

The glory that once was.

Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

[/quote]

[/quote]

Huh?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Aug 29 2008, 10:23 AM
Post #24

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

[quote name='ottox914' date='Aug 29 2008, 06:58 AM' post='1072900']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Huh?
[/quote]

Ah, so you really haven't heard, have you? Common knowledge, EVERYBODY knows.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I saw Mike Z claimed it, but I first heard that from Jake. Ironic that both of them now have turbo motors and posted in this thread....
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 05:15 AM