Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need sway bar measurement, U-tab to balljoint
Cevan
post Sep 6 2008, 07:36 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,351

I'm looking for the measurement from the center of the balljoint to the center of the U-tab for an OEM front sway bar. PP's site uses 5 1/8 inch. Thanks.

Edit - I just measured my '74 parts car which has a u-tab welded to the control arm but no swaybar has ever been installed on the car. It's aprox 4 inches center to center.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
roadster fan
post Sep 6 2008, 01:15 PM
Post #2

Project Frankenstein !!!!!!!!

Member No.: 5,184
Region Association: Northern California

I just measured the a-arm from my 73, and it is hard to get an accurate reading because I have the ball joint out of the arm and could not locate it quickly. It appears to be a little more that 4" center to center.

I measured from the outboard edge of the a-arm to the center of the U-tab and that appears to be 5 1/8". I can take a pic if you need one.

Jim
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 6 2008, 02:38 PM
Post #3

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I would urge you to be accurate, but only on ensuring that both side match. If you are using a system that the drop links use heim joints on the end, you have a few MM of play in your placement.

Even the heim joints will bind if the U-tab is mounted to close to the ball joint...they are already at an angle when used in the stock position.

Rich
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Sep 6 2008, 03:26 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,712

Hope this helps

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cevan
post Sep 6 2008, 04:45 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,351

Thanks for the replies. When my car was at Tangerine Racing, they noticed that the u-tab looked a little too far inboard. It looks like a PO had the drop link reversed (bent inboard) when the u-tab was positioned. I flipped it around and the u-tab lined up with the above measurements. It turned out to be almost 2 inches off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Figure my anti-sway bar hasn't been too effective up 'til now.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 08:58 PM