Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Regrets Selling 914, To those that have done it already.
DBCooper
post Sep 12 2008, 12:19 PM
Post #21

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Let me change the tone of this conversation. So how much do you want for it?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Sep 12 2008, 12:37 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

Any reason not to own both? YOu had the car in the family since 74. I am sure you have had other cars along the way. Why do you feel you have to sell you 914 in order to get a boxster? Buy the boxster and build a second garage.
+Quote Post
Midtowner
post Sep 12 2008, 12:50 PM
Post #23

Ooooo!

Member No.: 3,316
Region Association: None

Everyone,

Thank you for your input. I really mean it. I didn't expect such a passionate response to this thread. This is a very cool community.

QUOTE(sww914 @ Sep 12 2008, 01:39 AM) *

You're going to go from "man, cool car. I haven't seen one this nice for years." To "your wife's Boxster is cute."

I just can't handle the chick car thing.

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 12 2008, 06:21 AM) *

I've owned over 40 cars (16 of them 914s). I've had 911s (69 911S, 2-74 Euro Carreras, 88 Cab), but I don't think I will own another as I'm just not a 911 guy. I've had a bunch of new cars that depreciate. I've had a 57 Corvette, some other imports.

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 12 2008, 07:32 AM) *

I have had mine sense 1982 and it was a DD well into the late 90's. Yet every time without fail, when I slip in behind the wheel I get that feeling. Out of 37 vehicles my teener is the only one that has given me that thrill...That Feeling.
Hard into a corner she begins a four wheel drift, no heavy rear or front engine to fight you, she wants to come out of the corner quick so she can find the next one... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

And as mentioned above...The Cool Factor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

An excellent point! 914's have that "it" factor.

QUOTE(1303RS @ Sep 12 2008, 09:39 AM) *

Erik, Let me ask you something. Can you stand and look at your 914 for hours just looking at the lines, just see the personality flowing from every angle? The profile is awesome. when I see a 914, it WOW, doesnt matter the condition cause its a great car. A Boxter is well its another car. Yes its a Porsche but There is no personality. Get in, drive, no feeling. Its the only Porsche that does not Make me want to stare at it for hours. Can you tell I dont care for Boxters. Anyway, the 914 will ALWAYS be a great car. AND YOU WILL MISS IT!!!!

Yes, I do stare at the 914 a lot. I drove a Boxster a long time ago and thought it had personality but maybe I was wrong.

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 12 2008, 10:48 AM) *

My wife and I have owned a Boxster, nice cars buuuuut like any newer car if you don't keep them new enough, you're gonna be sorry. I am starting to see it in many cars already passing that 10 year old mark. Things like, you touch the door handle and the window automatically rolls down that 1/4" to clear the seal. Ever seen that stop working? That isn't an easy or cheap fix. Done 2 of them for people already. One was a mirco switch and the other was the harness to the brain. Fugly.

Newer cars are cool and all (Sort of), but have long lacked the simpleness they were born from. I draw the line at something that is controlled by software. I'll stick with solid state as my most tech advance mode of transport.

Crap. micro switches and wiring harnesses? Scary.

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Sep 12 2008, 11:37 AM) *

Any reason not to own both? YOu had the car in the family since 74. I am sure you have had other cars along the way. Why do you feel you have to sell you 914 in order to get a boxster? Buy the boxster and build a second garage.

Wish I had enough resources for a second garage. My DD is a Dodge magnum SRT8. The 914 and my wifes Acura TSX occupy the garage.

Again, thanks for the input. I am keeping the 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Sep 12 2008, 12:58 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

About 10 yrs ago I sold my 76. It had not run for 7 or 8 yrs, had a hole in the front hood (the movers dropped an air conditioner on it but that's another story), but was otherwise pretty solid. It came with nearly 20 yrs of VW-Porsche mag, Panorama, Up-Fixin, an extra interior, that springy looking special unidirectional oil filter wrench, a regular bra and a close-to-the-hood bra, a custom inside front windshield folding screen, complete factory manuals, Haynes manual, special bent T wrench for the distributor, factory parts manual, a bunch of other spare parts...for TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS.

But it gets worse. The guy who bought it never put it on the road and maybe 8 yrs ago I could have bought it BACK for THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!

Then, it sold through 914club a year and a half ago for SIX THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!! The buyer sold off all the extra stuff that came with it to change out the fuel lines, etc. So basically, it was just the car. And I missed buying it by TWO DAYS!!!!

Thank goodness last year I bought a totally solid 74 that cost FOURTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS that I immediately put NINE THOUSAND into!!!

So, before you wind up FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS in the hole, keep it and do whatever it takes TO keep it!!! Unless, unlike me, you accept loss easily, in which case you'll live to be a hundred. And if that's the case, you'll STILL wish you had your car!!!!!!!!!

Paul
+Quote Post
dw914er
post Sep 12 2008, 01:06 PM
Post #25

Planning Cities

Member No.: 8,763
Region Association: Southern California

so, you have a srt8, a tsx, and a 914? Why bother with a boxster.
+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post Sep 12 2008, 01:12 PM
Post #26

saved from fire!

Member No.: 2,914
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

i second the motion to keep the teener...
driving a boxster is for a weiner

here you have a family
a group of mostly down to earth kinda guys...
why trade it in
plush toys are are a little to girly for me.....
+Quote Post
Midtowner
post Sep 12 2008, 01:17 PM
Post #27

Ooooo!

Fair question. My original intent was to swap a 914 for the Boxster and get the same general mid-engine Porsche thrills for about the same money with more perceived reliability. It's not that my 914 is unreliable. It's just that I see many projects to improve the car at significant expense (for me that is). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Midtowner
post Sep 12 2008, 01:19 PM
Post #28

Ooooo!

QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Sep 12 2008, 12:12 PM) *

i second the motion to keep the teener...
driving a boxster is for a weiner

here you have a family
a group of mostly down to earth kinda guys...
why trade it in
plush toys are are a little to girly for me.....

Yes, I just can't get over owning a "girly-man" car. This is, of course, no offense intended to those on this board who own Boxsters. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Sep 12 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

put the TSX outside where it belongs.

I have a extra spot right now since the 914 is still in the shop. My girlfriend asked if she could park her car there. I explain that a honda accord is an outside car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
sww914
post Sep 12 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

I'm glad that I could help, we're here for you, bro.
I have a WRX. It's far and away the best car that I've ever owned. 95000 miles and I've replaced the timing belt because of the miles and I replaced one $40.00 wheel bearing. I've blasted that car from Northern California to Baja full of a week's worth of camping gear and still as quick as a Testarossa or a Z-28 and getting 24MPG. The best small family car I can imagine and it's fun to drive and cool too.
I have a hammered 914 that's made of 2 crashed cars welded together. The windshield is taped in. The back window rattles. The paint looks like shit. It has no real sense of acceleration at all. The tires are square and at least a pound out of balance, maybe 2 pounds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I can get in either car and drive to work any day. I take the rattling, shaking, loud 914 almost every day.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
yellow914
post Sep 12 2008, 01:41 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 8,861

Anyone watch "Two and a half men"? When Allen bought a Boxster and everyone kept referring to it as a Ladies porsche...nuff said!

I've owned a ton of sports cars include a 1967 E-type, Alfa Spider and a 66 Mustang fastback...the only regret I have were selling my 74 Carrera. I don't plan on making that mistake with my DD 914 beater...I smile every morning "if" it starts and would never change that for anything!!!
+Quote Post
Midtowner
post Sep 12 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #32

Ooooo!

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Sep 12 2008, 12:37 PM) *

put the TSX outside where it belongs.

I have a extra spot right now since the 914 is still in the shop. My girlfriend asked if she could park her car there. I explain that a honda accord is an outside car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol3.gif)
+Quote Post
tronporsche
post Sep 12 2008, 02:39 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 9,447
Region Association: Central California

Midtowner, I just did a new "Lambo" thread, with your thread in mind, check it out.
+Quote Post
HeloMech
post Sep 12 2008, 02:44 PM
Post #34

Go Ahead, Get Pistoph!

Member No.: 4,718
Region Association: Southern California

yup yup, keep it.

I sold my 73 1.7 when I bought a house up in the mountains. I needed something with 4x4 so I bought a wrangler. I still had my little PT cruiser at the time. I dumped the wrangler and the pt cruiser, picked up the 4x4 exploder and just bought a '70 1.7 that actually has a ford 2.8 in it. I have a 2.0L 914/4 on the bench. New engine gasket kit should arrive today.. then it's time to split the case and check the bearing sizes... Not sure which engine will stay. I have 2.0 with engine bar and extra trans... so I might just swap all of that into the car, leave the water lines, etc installed until I see the difference in the way the engines make the car drive/feel.

Did I mention DON'T SELL IT?
+Quote Post
TeenerTim
post Sep 12 2008, 03:17 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 8,253
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm on my third 914. I sold a '65 Mustang coupe to buy my 1st and never regretted it. Even in 1987 girls would wave and guys would ask me about it. I got rid of it because I was in Kalifornia and it had carbs. Bad combo. I missed it immediately. It was 5 years before I was able to get another one. I built that one from the ground up and drove it every day. It was great fun and I loved it. I drove my 1st son to daycare every day from when he was 6 weeks old to when he was 3 years old.

Then my second kid came and I couldn't take them both in the same car. I convinced my wife I had to get a 911 because it had a back seat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) I didn't regret selling the 914 because I loved my 911. I REALLY regret selling the 911. After the 911 I went back to Mustangs but never got them finished. I had to sell them to pay child support and alimony. I eventually bought an old 240Z. Now that was I car I could sit and stare at. Soon that would have to go too and I DO regret having to sell it.

Fast forward a few years and I'm working on my third 914. I will do everything in my power to hang on to this car. Some day I hope to put a flat six in it so I'll have the best of both worlds. My three kids now are fighting over who will get the first ride in it when it's done. I can't wait.
+Quote Post
Midtowner
post Sep 12 2008, 03:35 PM
Post #36

Ooooo!

QUOTE(tronporsche @ Sep 12 2008, 01:39 PM) *

Midtowner, I just did a new "Lambo" thread, with your thread in mind, check it out.

Yes, I saw your thread and was wondering if you were referring to this discussion. Thanks!
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Sep 12 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #37

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

I say dump it, right now, and for cheap. It's a bad car, bad. It's really old, so old it's not even listed in Kelly Blue Book any more. It doesn't have an automatic, power steering or power brakes, and never will. And it makes lots of smog. Bad car.

So how much do you want for it?
+Quote Post
Midtowner
post Sep 12 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #38

Ooooo!

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 12 2008, 04:21 PM) *

I say dump it, right now, and for cheap. It's a bad car, bad. It's really old, so old it's not even listed in Kelly Blue Book any more. It doesn't have an automatic, power steering or power brakes, and never will. And it makes lots of smog. Bad car.

So how much do you want for it?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Midtowner
post Sep 12 2008, 10:11 PM
Post #39

Ooooo!

I just gave it a thorough wash. My Griot's Garage kit with random orbital machine arrived as well. Looking forward to polishing and waxing tomorrow then go for a drive! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
LarryR
post Sep 12 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 7,604

The 914 especially a nice low mile honey like yours will by far be a more unique ride. The saying "your car aint cool if your chrome dont shine" comes to mind and well there is no chrome on a boxster.

No smog worries, you get to mod to your hearts content.

Now that said a 381 hp 3.6 boxster swap could be pretty sweet. It would look like any other boxster on the road but it would be a rocket.

I prefer older cars for the reasons mentioned above but could see a smokin 3.6 boxster being a blast too...

If you sell it you will regret it.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 07:01 PM