Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Regrets Selling 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Midtowner
The pendulum is swinging toward selling my 1973 914 2.0. 90K original miles. Owned in the family since 1974. It is becoming difficult to ignore the possibility of buying a Boxster at their current market prices.

I keep reading about those that have sold their 914's only to regret it later but I wish to know why and for what reasons. Emotional attachment? Because their fun to drive? Anyone care to chime in? Thanks! smile.gif
Dr. Roger
Sell the appreciating asset for a depreciating asset?

confused24.gif

34 year old vehicle for almost new.

confused24.gif

Old tech for new?

confused24.gif

Funny thing is I coudda' bought a damn nice Boxter for what I've got in Bebe now.
headbang.gif

happy11.gif

popcorn[1].gif

All that said....

4 different people came up to me today commenting and asking questions about my car. driving.gif

Fun factor: 1-10? 10. smilie_pokal.gif
sww914
You're going to go from "man, cool car. I haven't seen one this nice for years." To "your wife's Boxster is cute."
dw914er
QUOTE(sww914 @ Sep 12 2008, 01:39 AM) *

You're going to go from "man, cool car. I haven't seen one this nice for years." To "your wife's Boxster is cute."

agree.gif

Boxsters are a bit more tame, probably more reliable, and have no rust.

914s are raw, fun, and unique. They have the cool classic car status, with a cult following. They are quirky, fun little cars. You won't get any of that with the wife's boxster.

I also have a family history with my car, so I'll never sell. I would like a boxster, or even a nice taildragger, but not at the expense of my 914.
Sleepin
Memphis: Perhaps, Mmmm. But, you know, this is the one. Yes, yes yes... I saw three of these parked outside the local Starbucks this morning, which tells me only one thing. There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam...
Roger the Car Salesman: You would not be a self-indulgent wiener, sir... You'd be a connoisseur.
Memphis: Precisely. Champagne would fall from the heavens. Doors would open. Velvet ropes would part.

Nope, don't sell it. Out of all the vehicles I have owned, fun or not, the 914 was the only one to call me back after a 13 year hiatus. I regret selling other cars, sure, but there was always the cost to build, finding a decent one...etc...etc. The 914 is a fun classic out of the box. The comments and questions I get when I drive them are only second compared to my blown 72 Nova (that car attracted the attention)....but the Nova was not nearly as street friendly, and I wouldn't spend all the money to build another one. The 914 on the other hand...I cannot drive it at all without feeling better and smiling when I get out of the car.

The 914 obviously isn't for everyone (they make boxters and SUV's for that), but I suggest that serious thought go into getting rid of a 914 that you know all the history on, and is part of the family. My .02....
carr914
I've owned over 40 cars (16 of them 914s). I've had 911s (69 911S, 2-74 Euro Carreras, 88 Cab), but I don't think I will own another as I'm just not a 911 guy. I've had a bunch of new cars that depreciate. I've had a 57 Corvette, some other imports.

The only car that keeps me coming back is a 914-6 (I have a Real one and a conversion). I hope not to get rid of these cars. I can hope that my son will enjoy them when I'm gone.

So keep the teener with the history. Boxsters are depreciating so fast, just go out and buy one. But beware, there are certain years that you don't want unless you want Jake Raby to build you a motor.

T.C.
So.Cal.914
I have had mine sense 1982 and it was a DD well into the late 90's. Yet every time without fail, when I slip in behind the wheel I get that feeling. Out of 37 vehicles my teener is the only one that has given me that thrill...That Feeling.
Hard into a corner she begins a four wheel drift, no heavy rear or front engine to fight you, she wants to come out of the corner quick so she can find the next one... driving.gif

And as mentioned above...The Cool Factor. shades.gif
Root_Werks
Don't sell your 914.
jasons
I've considered selling my 914's. I have a short list of replacements, 911, E30 M3, or another 914. If I had a family owned 73 2.0 with 90k, I'm in that car for the long haul.

Plus as Boxsters get cheaper, they will be just that cheaper. But maintenance costs will only go up. Look at the 944 market for the future Boxster market.

One other thing, maybe you should check out a Boxster forum like this. I bet you, its dull.
carr914
QUOTE(jasons @ Sep 12 2008, 10:45 AM) *

One other thing, maybe you should check out a Boxster forum like this. I bet you, its dull.

Yeah, I bet the girls there are swapping recipes. biggrin.gif

T.C.
watsonrx13
Don't sell it...

-- Rob
Gint
Why sell it? Do you need the money or something?

Worst case - Store it. Or dig it out once or twice every summer and enjoy it and put back away. Think of what it will be worth in another 10, 15 or 20 years.
1303RS
DONT SELL IT!!!!! I have regreted selling my 73 2.0 just about every day. I sold it cause at the time it was having a ton of issues and could not afford to keep it. Also had a new baby and my wife was NOT happy when I had to take my daughter somewhere in the 914. Should have parked it until I could fix it. I did however use the money to finish my VW bug project.smile.gif I still miss the 914 such a fun car. I WILL OWN ANOTHER one day. Boxters are just OK I dont care for them. If you want a newer Porsche get a 911,924,944 etc. IF it has to be a two seater there is always the GT:) KEEP THE 914! just my two cents
TROJANMAN
I recently gave my 2.0 914 to my dad to buy a 2.7 conversion, and have missed it ever since. Don't get me wrong, the 6 is a hoot to drive, but I really miss the 4. I get to drive it whenever I visit California, but it just makes me want it back more. Don't sell it. You will regret it. Boxsters have no character.

:2cents:
1303RS
Erik, Let me ask you something. Can you stand and look at your 914 for hours just looking at the lines, just see the personality flowing from every angle? The profile is awesome. when I see a 914, it WOW, doesnt matter the condition cause its a great car. A Boxter is well its another car. Yes its a Porsche but There is no personality. Get in, drive, no feeling. Its the only Porsche that doesnot Make me want to stare at it for hours. Can you tell I dont care for Boxters. Anyway, the 914 will ALWAYS be a great car. AND YOU WILL MISS IT!!!!
yarin
Buy a Boxster, keep the 914. I've driven both extensively, 914 has a lot of character. You'll never get compliments on a boxster, they are a dime a dozen. They are fun to drive, but cannot be compared to a 914. "Is that your sister's car?" Boxster is a fun daily driver or weekend pet, relatively low maintenance. Then again, horrible depreciation. Avoid the early ones or you'll be spending a lot on a new motor.

Good luck!
tronporsche
QUOTE(1303RS @ Sep 12 2008, 08:39 AM) *

Erik, Let me ask you something. Can you stand and look at your 914 for hours just looking at the lines, just see the personality flowing from every angle? The profile is awesome. when I see a 914, it WOW, doesnt matter the condition cause its a great car. A Boxter is well its another car. Yes its a Porsche but There is no personality. Get in, drive, no feeling. Its the only Porsche that doesnot Make me want to stare at it for hours. Can you tell I dont care for Boxters. Anyway, the 914 will ALWAYS be a great car. AND YOU WILL MISS IT!!!!
1303RS, thanks for mentioning this. Usually, on a really nice evening or weekend, I pull the car out on the drive way, sit out front with a nice drink , listen to music, and stare at the 914. I try to take my eyes off of it but I can't. Especially when the sun is going down, AAAhhh, the glowing sunset light up against the curves of the car ............for a second I thought I was going crazy..........thanks for your post, now I know I'm not the only one with the "staring" problem !!!! laugh.gif .......Erik, It is also cool to see the Neighbors' reaction when they drive by and see it on the drive way..why do you want to throw away a "thumbs up car" ????? And that is everywhere you go !!!
.........Oh, and don't get rid of the car Erik, unless you want to be another statistic who has to run around going crazy trying to find another 914 like the one they had, and that won't happen. And if you do find one, you are probably going to have to pay more money than the one you would have sold !!! DON'T DO IT !!!!
kerensky
Add me to the chorus - Don't sell. If you want a boxster, save up and buy one, but keep the 'teener. My own '73 has also been 'family' since I was young enough to ride on the middle seat (yeah, we did that in '73. My Mom also smoked while pregnant - they just didn't know any better! laugh.gif ) and currently sits in the garage awaiting ... well, you know how it is. Gotta fix it *right*. But even though I haven't driven it in far too long, I'd never part with it. Sometimes I'll go move stuff out of the way and just sit in it for awhile with a big grin on my face.

Don't do it, man. Store it if you have to for awhile, but don't let go.
Root_Werks
My wife and I have owned a Boxster, nice cars buuuuut like any newer car if you don't keep them new enough, you're gonna be sorry. I am starting to see it in many cars already passing that 10 year old mark. Things like, you touch the door handle and the window automatically rolls down that 1/4" to clear the seal. Ever seen that stop working? That isn't an easy or cheap fix. Done 2 of them for people already. One was a mirco switch and the other was the harness to the brain. Fugly.

Newer cars are cool and all (Sort of), but have long lacked the simpleness they were born from. I draw the line at something that is controlled by software. I'll stick with solid state as my most tech advance mode of transport.
KELTY360
Don't listen to these guys. They're only trying to justify and rationalize their addictions. biggrin.gif

Sell that cherry, '73 2.0.......................to me!

I bought one new in '73 and sold it in '77 due to a geographic and lifestyle change - bought a VW bus. Then I had a Bumblebee in the early '80s that succumbed to leaky push rod seals and poverty. I regretted getting rid of both of those cars and always said that when the time was right I'd get another.

Two and a half years ago I realized that the time was right and immediately went out and found one. That feeling of reconnecting with a 914 was incredible! It still makes me smile every time I drive it and I'm amazed at how functional it has remained over the years - mine's a 35 year old DD and I don't see any other cars on the road that have two trunks, an easily stowed, hard convertible top, go kart handling and excellent MPG. It's funny how Porsche and VW laid down the template for a great car and no other manufacturers have duplicated it.

If you replace the 914 with a Boxster, you'll wish you still had the 914....guaranteed.
DBCooper
Let me change the tone of this conversation. So how much do you want for it?
turboman808
Any reason not to own both? YOu had the car in the family since 74. I am sure you have had other cars along the way. Why do you feel you have to sell you 914 in order to get a boxster? Buy the boxster and build a second garage.
Midtowner
Everyone,

Thank you for your input. I really mean it. I didn't expect such a passionate response to this thread. This is a very cool community.

QUOTE(sww914 @ Sep 12 2008, 01:39 AM) *

I just can't handle the chick car thing.

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 12 2008, 06:21 AM) *

I've owned over 40 cars (16 of them 914s). I've had 911s (69 911S, 2-74 Euro Carreras, 88 Cab), but I don't think I will own another as I'm just not a 911 guy. I've had a bunch of new cars that depreciate. I've had a 57 Corvette, some other imports.

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 12 2008, 07:32 AM) *

I have had mine sense 1982 and it was a DD well into the late 90's. Yet every time without fail, when I slip in behind the wheel I get that feeling. Out of 37 vehicles my teener is the only one that has given me that thrill...That Feeling.
Hard into a corner she begins a four wheel drift, no heavy rear or front engine to fight you, she wants to come out of the corner quick so she can find the next one... driving.gif

And as mentioned above...The Cool Factor. shades.gif

An excellent point! 914's have that "it" factor.

QUOTE(1303RS @ Sep 12 2008, 09:39 AM) *

Erik, Let me ask you something. Can you stand and look at your 914 for hours just looking at the lines, just see the personality flowing from every angle? The profile is awesome. when I see a 914, it WOW, doesnt matter the condition cause its a great car. A Boxter is well its another car. Yes its a Porsche but There is no personality. Get in, drive, no feeling. Its the only Porsche that does not Make me want to stare at it for hours. Can you tell I dont care for Boxters. Anyway, the 914 will ALWAYS be a great car. AND YOU WILL MISS IT!!!!

Yes, I do stare at the 914 a lot. I drove a Boxster a long time ago and thought it had personality but maybe I was wrong.

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 12 2008, 10:48 AM) *

My wife and I have owned a Boxster, nice cars buuuuut like any newer car if you don't keep them new enough, you're gonna be sorry. I am starting to see it in many cars already passing that 10 year old mark. Things like, you touch the door handle and the window automatically rolls down that 1/4" to clear the seal. Ever seen that stop working? That isn't an easy or cheap fix. Done 2 of them for people already. One was a mirco switch and the other was the harness to the brain. Fugly.

Newer cars are cool and all (Sort of), but have long lacked the simpleness they were born from. I draw the line at something that is controlled by software. I'll stick with solid state as my most tech advance mode of transport.

Crap. micro switches and wiring harnesses? Scary.

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Sep 12 2008, 11:37 AM) *

Any reason not to own both? YOu had the car in the family since 74. I am sure you have had other cars along the way. Why do you feel you have to sell you 914 in order to get a boxster? Buy the boxster and build a second garage.

Wish I had enough resources for a second garage. My DD is a Dodge magnum SRT8. The 914 and my wifes Acura TSX occupy the garage.

Again, thanks for the input. I am keeping the 914. smilie_pokal.gif
orthobiz
About 10 yrs ago I sold my 76. It had not run for 7 or 8 yrs, had a hole in the front hood (the movers dropped an air conditioner on it but that's another story), but was otherwise pretty solid. It came with nearly 20 yrs of VW-Porsche mag, Panorama, Up-Fixin, an extra interior, that springy looking special unidirectional oil filter wrench, a regular bra and a close-to-the-hood bra, a custom inside front windshield folding screen, complete factory manuals, Haynes manual, special bent T wrench for the distributor, factory parts manual, a bunch of other spare parts...for TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS.

But it gets worse. The guy who bought it never put it on the road and maybe 8 yrs ago I could have bought it BACK for THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!

Then, it sold through 914club a year and a half ago for SIX THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!! The buyer sold off all the extra stuff that came with it to change out the fuel lines, etc. So basically, it was just the car. And I missed buying it by TWO DAYS!!!!

Thank goodness last year I bought a totally solid 74 that cost FOURTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS that I immediately put NINE THOUSAND into!!!

So, before you wind up FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS in the hole, keep it and do whatever it takes TO keep it!!! Unless, unlike me, you accept loss easily, in which case you'll live to be a hundred. And if that's the case, you'll STILL wish you had your car!!!!!!!!!

Paul
dw914er
so, you have a srt8, a tsx, and a 914? Why bother with a boxster.
pete-stevers
i second the motion to keep the teener...
driving a boxster is for a weiner

here you have a family
a group of mostly down to earth kinda guys...
why trade it in
plush toys are are a little to girly for me.....
Midtowner
Fair question. My original intent was to swap a 914 for the Boxster and get the same general mid-engine Porsche thrills for about the same money with more perceived reliability. It's not that my 914 is unreliable. It's just that I see many projects to improve the car at significant expense (for me that is). smile.gif
Midtowner
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Sep 12 2008, 12:12 PM) *

i second the motion to keep the teener...
driving a boxster is for a weiner

here you have a family
a group of mostly down to earth kinda guys...
why trade it in
plush toys are are a little to girly for me.....

Yes, I just can't get over owning a "girly-man" car. This is, of course, no offense intended to those on this board who own Boxsters. bye1.gif
turboman808
put the TSX outside where it belongs.

I have a extra spot right now since the 914 is still in the shop. My girlfriend asked if she could park her car there. I explain that a honda accord is an outside car. av-943.gif
sww914
I'm glad that I could help, we're here for you, bro.
I have a WRX. It's far and away the best car that I've ever owned. 95000 miles and I've replaced the timing belt because of the miles and I replaced one $40.00 wheel bearing. I've blasted that car from Northern California to Baja full of a week's worth of camping gear and still as quick as a Testarossa or a Z-28 and getting 24MPG. The best small family car I can imagine and it's fun to drive and cool too.
I have a hammered 914 that's made of 2 crashed cars welded together. The windshield is taped in. The back window rattles. The paint looks like shit. It has no real sense of acceleration at all. The tires are square and at least a pound out of balance, maybe 2 pounds. smile.gif
I can get in either car and drive to work any day. I take the rattling, shaking, loud 914 almost every day.
yellow914
Anyone watch "Two and a half men"? When Allen bought a Boxster and everyone kept referring to it as a Ladies porsche...nuff said!

I've owned a ton of sports cars include a 1967 E-type, Alfa Spider and a 66 Mustang fastback...the only regret I have were selling my 74 Carrera. I don't plan on making that mistake with my DD 914 beater...I smile every morning "if" it starts and would never change that for anything!!!
Midtowner
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Sep 12 2008, 12:37 PM) *

put the TSX outside where it belongs.

I have a extra spot right now since the 914 is still in the shop. My girlfriend asked if she could park her car there. I explain that a honda accord is an outside car. av-943.gif

lol3.gif
tronporsche
Midtowner, I just did a new "Lambo" thread, with your thread in mind, check it out.
HeloMech
yup yup, keep it.

I sold my 73 1.7 when I bought a house up in the mountains. I needed something with 4x4 so I bought a wrangler. I still had my little PT cruiser at the time. I dumped the wrangler and the pt cruiser, picked up the 4x4 exploder and just bought a '70 1.7 that actually has a ford 2.8 in it. I have a 2.0L 914/4 on the bench. New engine gasket kit should arrive today.. then it's time to split the case and check the bearing sizes... Not sure which engine will stay. I have 2.0 with engine bar and extra trans... so I might just swap all of that into the car, leave the water lines, etc installed until I see the difference in the way the engines make the car drive/feel.

Did I mention DON'T SELL IT?
TeenerTim
I'm on my third 914. I sold a '65 Mustang coupe to buy my 1st and never regretted it. Even in 1987 girls would wave and guys would ask me about it. I got rid of it because I was in Kalifornia and it had carbs. Bad combo. I missed it immediately. It was 5 years before I was able to get another one. I built that one from the ground up and drove it every day. It was great fun and I loved it. I drove my 1st son to daycare every day from when he was 6 weeks old to when he was 3 years old.

Then my second kid came and I couldn't take them both in the same car. I convinced my wife I had to get a 911 because it had a back seat. happy11.gif I didn't regret selling the 914 because I loved my 911. I REALLY regret selling the 911. After the 911 I went back to Mustangs but never got them finished. I had to sell them to pay child support and alimony. I eventually bought an old 240Z. Now that was I car I could sit and stare at. Soon that would have to go too and I DO regret having to sell it.

Fast forward a few years and I'm working on my third 914. I will do everything in my power to hang on to this car. Some day I hope to put a flat six in it so I'll have the best of both worlds. My three kids now are fighting over who will get the first ride in it when it's done. I can't wait.
Midtowner
QUOTE(tronporsche @ Sep 12 2008, 01:39 PM) *

Midtowner, I just did a new "Lambo" thread, with your thread in mind, check it out.

Yes, I saw your thread and was wondering if you were referring to this discussion. Thanks!
DBCooper

I say dump it, right now, and for cheap. It's a bad car, bad. It's really old, so old it's not even listed in Kelly Blue Book any more. It doesn't have an automatic, power steering or power brakes, and never will. And it makes lots of smog. Bad car.

So how much do you want for it?
Midtowner
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 12 2008, 04:21 PM) *

I say dump it, right now, and for cheap. It's a bad car, bad. It's really old, so old it's not even listed in Kelly Blue Book any more. It doesn't have an automatic, power steering or power brakes, and never will. And it makes lots of smog. Bad car.

av-943.gif
Midtowner
I just gave it a thorough wash. My Griot's Garage kit with random orbital machine arrived as well. Looking forward to polishing and waxing tomorrow then go for a drive! driving.gif
LarryR
The 914 especially a nice low mile honey like yours will by far be a more unique ride. The saying "your car aint cool if your chrome dont shine" comes to mind and well there is no chrome on a boxster.

No smog worries, you get to mod to your hearts content.

Now that said a 381 hp 3.6 boxster swap could be pretty sweet. It would look like any other boxster on the road but it would be a rocket.

I prefer older cars for the reasons mentioned above but could see a smokin 3.6 boxster being a blast too...

If you sell it you will regret it.
LarryR
QUOTE(Midtowner @ Sep 12 2008, 09:07 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 12 2008, 04:21 PM) *

av-943.gif

av-943.gif
tronporsche
QUOTE(Midtowner @ Sep 12 2008, 01:35 PM) *

QUOTE(tronporsche @ Sep 12 2008, 01:39 PM) *

Yes, I saw your thread and was wondering if you were referring to this discussion. Thanks!
Erik, The point I was making when referring to you was that you have a unique car, even more so than a Lambo, And if you get rid of it , you are getting rid of something really special biggrin.gif .....I know one thing though, if I ever decide to get rid of mine, I'm not gonna ask the question you did !! Man surrender, and repeat the fact your gonna keep it again !!!!! Really though, I think I speak for all when I say you have a beautiful car, and you really, really should try your best to keep it. Even if you have to put it in storage. smile.gif
number6
QUOTE(Midtowner @ Sep 12 2008, 11:50 AM) *

Again, thanks for the input. I am keeping the 914.

erik, you have a beautiful 914! i occasionally find myself pondering the same question, so i totally appreciate where you're coming from. the fact that

a) you have a sweet 914, in exceptional, hard-to-find condition...that is appreciating... and i assume fully sorted and totally reliable...

cool.gif early boxsters that are dropping in price aren't exactly known to be quality cars...are depreciating fast (for a reason, i'm told by my mechanic)...and can be had any day of the week...

c) you have a modern DD already...

totally support your decision, IMHO.

is it mostly the performance that had you thinking boxster? have you considered a couple mild enhancements, like EFI, lightened flywheel, mild suspension tuning, and good exhaust (like a triad)? i bet that'll renew your love affair with the 914!

my temptress happens to be the '98-'02 bmw m coupe (yup, the either-love-it-or-hate-it one...though if you've driven one, it's impossible to be in the latter group!). it's probably the only car other than a 914 (ok, and a ferrari 206 gt) that gets my pulse racing every time i spot one. my 914 is my daily driver, so sometimes i miss the modern amenities like good defrost, water-tight cabin, AC for scorching days, good wipers, and lack of engine fumes...but then, sure enough, the weather breaks, the road twists, the targa top's off...and i find myself apologizing to my teener for ever even entertaining the idea of trading her for any other car!

when the time comes that i have 2 parking spots, there'll be an m coupe next to my 914. i say if you like the boxster, go for one, no matter what others say/think...just don't sell your 914!

this helps me w/ my perspective:
it's not about having what you want...
but wanting what you have. smile.gif
McMark
Maybe this is a bad idea, but rent a Boxster for a week and see how you feel in it. Even better, take the Boxster out for a fun run, then immediately jump in the 914 and go on the same route. wink.gif Betcha rethink the Boxster.
Midtowner
QUOTE(number6 @ Sep 14 2008, 10:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Midtowner @ Sep 12 2008, 11:50 AM) *

Again, thanks for the input. I am keeping the 914.

erik, you have a beautiful 914! i occasionally find myself pondering the same question, so i totally appreciate where you're coming from. the fact that

a) you have a sweet 914, in exceptional, hard-to-find condition...that is appreciating... and i assume fully sorted and totally reliable...

cool.gif early boxsters that are dropping in price aren't exactly known to be quality cars...are depreciating fast (for a reason, i'm told by my mechanic)...and can be had any day of the week...

c) you have a modern DD already...

totally support your decision, IMHO.

is it mostly the performance that had you thinking boxster? have you considered a couple mild enhancements, like EFI, lightened flywheel, mild suspension tuning, and good exhaust (like a triad)? i bet that'll renew your love affair with the 914!

my temptress happens to be the '98-'02 bmw m coupe (yup, the either-love-it-or-hate-it one...though if you've driven one, it's impossible to be in the latter group!). it's probably the only car other than a 914 (ok, and a ferrari 206 gt) that gets my pulse racing every time i spot one. my 914 is my daily driver, so sometimes i miss the modern amenities like good defrost, water-tight cabin, AC for scorching days, good wipers, and lack of engine fumes...but then, sure enough, the weather breaks, the road twists, the targa top's off...and i find myself apologizing to my teener for ever even entertaining the idea of trading her for any other car!

when the time comes that i have 2 parking spots, there'll be an m coupe next to my 914. i say if you like the boxster, go for one, no matter what others say/think...just don't sell your 914!

this helps me w/ my perspective:
it's not about having what you want...
but wanting what you have. smile.gif

The part of the background of my original question is about what is more fun and less about resale value and to a certain extent reliability. It all comes down to: Is it more fun to drive a slow car fast or a fast car slow?

Also, a delay is better than a disaster. So, I am not selling the 914 for now.

One more important thing as I rediscovered at today's Tied House gathering: Fun is about the people too!

biggrin.gif
DanT
Erik,
forget about the Boxster and look at some 964s biggrin.gif

actually you can find some very nice Boxsters right now.

before I bought the C2 I almost bought a very nice, loaded, low mileage 2000S for under $20K. There are some real deals out there.

964s will be a bit more expensive (being some of the last real 911s) but worth the money I feel.

I got my very nice clean, straight C2 for $16K

do I regret selling the Puttputt, occasionally, but then I take the C2 for a drive and then it doesn't hurt so much... smile.gif

The C2 or the Boxster can be a much better daily driver, a safer daily driver, and with the C2 it doesn't really depreciate very much at all.

Boxsters will never have the cache of the 911s, and so many of the Boxsters have been built they just aren't collectable no matter what folks may say about certain models.

and yes, I will probably own another 914 one day. Either a very nice conversion or an original 6 would be preferable.......like the one I used to own... sad.gif
Midtowner
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 14 2008, 10:54 PM) *

Maybe this is a bad idea, but rent a Boxster for a week and see how you feel in it. Even better, take the Boxster out for a fun run, then immediately jump in the 914 and go on the same route. wink.gif Betcha rethink the Boxster.

Actually Mark, this is a great idea and one that I will check out. Thanks!

driving.gif
Midtowner
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 14 2008, 11:21 PM) *

Erik,
forget about the Boxster and look at some 964s biggrin.gif

actually you can find some very nice Boxsters right now.

before I bought the C2 I almost bought a very nice, loaded, low mileage 2000S for under $20K. There are some real deals out there.

964s will be a bit more expensive (being some of the last real 911s) but worth the money I feel.

I got my very nice clean, straight C2 for $16K

do I regret selling the Puttputt, occasionally, but then I take the C2 for a drive and then it doesn't hurt so much... smile.gif

The C2 or the Boxster can be a much better daily driver, a safer daily driver, and with the C2 it doesn't really depreciate very much at all.

Boxsters will never have the cache of the 911s, and so many of the Boxsters have been built they just aren't collectable no matter what folks may say about certain models.

A C2 for $16K? Wow. idea.gif
dude with all that history in the family i wouldnt even think of selling becuz i would hate myself for it.
DanT
yep and next will be some suspension
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.