Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Regrets Selling 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
tronporsche
Here is something to think about also. Do you already own another classic car ? One of the things that keeps me interested in the 914 - if all else fails- is that I always pictured myself like the "older brother" or "dad" in the movies or commercials......you know, waxing the classic on a saturday afternoon, before cruising, shining the tires, doing the oil change.....you know, everything except the pack of cigaretes in my sleeve !!! .....I must say, I enjoy having my son help me clean the "classic", and when we go out on a cruise afterwards, he sees the rewards of a clean classic by the people giving a thumbs up......He even says "Go fast, daddy !!!" He knows one day this car is for him, and my daughter. I'm just glad they're still babies !!!! So you have a classic hobbie, at least make sure you have another one before you get rid of it, if you must !
number6
QUOTE(Midtowner @ Sep 14 2008, 11:20 PM) *

The part of the background of my original question is about what is more fun and less about resale value and to a certain extent reliability. It all comes down to: Is it more fun to drive a slow car fast or a fast car slow?

i personally prefer the former because it's more fun. but it doesn't have to be either or. i mean you can make your 914 zippier!

i think it comes down to more on the type of driver you are, and your preferences. they are quite different driving machines. not one better than the other...just one is more suited to some, and the other more suited for others.

me, i like the rawness and simplicity of the 914. yes, i have driven boxsters, and i do like them, just don't love them. but that's just me. i mean, if you value ABS, AC, power top, airbags, etc, the choice is clear. if you like a car that makes you work to get it to go fast, and involves you more (in my opinion), then the 914.

what i was getting at is that, with some power and performance upgrades, you can make your 914 much quicker and much more fun. it doesn't take much power to make a 914 feel fast. a 914-4 is, what, 2100lbs? (and you can get that down some!) compare that to a boxster at over 3,000. power-to-weight. i like lighter, but that's me.

do you feel an attachment to the 914? seriously. it's probably hard to say no on a 914 forum...but if that's the case, maybe you can pass the car to a sibling/relative, and keep it in the family. just because we all love our 914 doesn't mean you do. life's too short - go where you're happy.

my 2 cents.
number6
erik, my apologies a bit there. for whatever reason, i thought you weren't really into your 914...but i see (now that i've looked) that you're no new 914 newbie. it's not like anything's been said that you didn't already know/have thought about...except maybe renting a boxster for awhile to make sure that's what you really want.

and if you haven't driven a 914-4 with 140+ horse that's been set up well, i'd say you should give that a go, too, because i think that'll give a compelling counter to the boxster experience.

my vote is still to bump your 914's power. if not for you, then for the next family member who owns the car - to make sure they keep it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.