Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 356 guys vs 911 guys
scotty b
post Sep 16 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #1

rust free you say ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

I'm not real sure who's werse.I have been a member of the 356 registry for about 11-12 years now, never did much with the " group " as I new they weren't my type. I'm young,like loud music etc...they aren't. Anywhoo last night I go on the forum to try and find a member whos car I have a pic of so I can get a paint code.

1. I sign up
2. I get a confirmation e-mail
3. I post
4. I get a message from an admin telling me I nned to change my screen name from Scotty B to my real name, that is a forum rule and they like to know who is who. No problem, I let him know my full name and WHY I used that screen name

5. I see a post looking for info on wet sanding...I post.....my post is completely ignored...no biggie I'm the new guy

6. I see another post about wheel paint. Guy can't find the Wurth wheel silver and wants to know what to do. I post that BMW Alpine Silver is a really good factory match. Now some guy calls me out and informs me that " we like the Wurth paint because it say wheel silver simple enough ? " WTF ?? Is this a smart ass or just a big dick ??

7. After my response as to my real name last night I get ANOTHER e-mail requesting my real name so the admin can change it ??? Um hey old timer, didja get my response LAST NIGHT ????

Jimminy Christmas these guys have NO sense of entitlement now do they ??
Post are all bland, only aboyut what is " proper" for my car and how much is my car worth and does thjis look right ? does this look infected

No wonder I have avoided these douchebags for 12 years, the bitch of it is I need them in my line of work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Better play nice Scotty....................errrrr Scott
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 16 2008, 06:48 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Dont take it personal, really.
It took ALOT of effort from a group of people to get them to move from the old style email list (3k emails per month) to the forum.

Unfortunately the new forum is still managed by an older mentality...the full name thing is the rule...just how it is.

I joined, and was happy to see them finally move forward into this forum format...but I stopped posting a long time ago....its just repetitive.

Go in there and start a thread, introduce yourself, show the ferraris and 356's you have done...that is how to use it...the rest will take time...these guys only use certain products and only use certain vendors....at least the ones that post...there are alot more that just read and never post...guaranteed someone will use the paint you suggested if its cheaper...these guys love cheap.

I have to be in the right mood to log in there...and that has been a few months for me...just did it the other day...lasted about 10 minutes and logged off...

BTW, Where are you, what have you done...I can flip a few 356 guys your way...

Rich
+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Sep 16 2008, 06:49 PM
Post #3

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 16 2008, 05:33 PM) *

I'm not real sure who's werse.I have been a member of the 356 registry for about 11-12 years now, never did much with the " group " as I new they weren't my type. I'm young,like loud music etc...they aren't. Anywhoo last night I go on the forum to try and find a member whos car I have a pic of so I can get a paint code.

1. I sign up
2. I get a confirmation e-mail
3. I post
4. I get a message from an admin telling me I nned to change my screen name from Scotty B to my real name, that is a forum rule and they like to know who is who. No problem, I let him know my full name and WHY I used that screen name

5. I see a post looking for info on wet sanding...I post.....my post is completely ignored...no biggie I'm the new guy

6. I see another post about wheel paint. Guy can't find the Wurth wheel silver and wants to know what to do. I post that BMW Alpine Silver is a really good factory match. Now some guy calls me out and informs me that " we like the Wurth paint because it say wheel silver simple enough ? " WTF ?? Is this a smart ass or just a big dick ??

7. After my response as to my real name last night I get ANOTHER e-mail requesting my real name so the admin can change it ??? Um hey old timer, didja get my response LAST NIGHT ????

Jimminy Christmas these guys have NO sense of entitlement now do they ??
Post are all bland, only aboyut what is " proper" for my car and how much is my car worth and does thjis look right ? does this look infected

No wonder I have avoided these douchebags for 12 years, the bitch of it is I need them in my line of work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Better play nice Scotty....................errrrr Scott

Why ya whin'n about the 911 guys to us teeners?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Sep 16 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

Dig out your 914 wheel flare thread and tell 'em it's also viable for 356 application. Stand back and watch...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boom.gif)

Personally, I blew the coffee out my nose when I first saw it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Good job!

Paul
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 16 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #5

Custom Member

I need a laugh...post a link.

Rich
+Quote Post
Wes V
post Sep 16 2008, 06:58 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,211

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 16 2008, 05:48 PM) *

Send him work?? Hell, he doesn't even want to give his real name.

(please don't hit me!)

Wes V (at least, that's what I go by)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Sep 16 2008, 07:00 PM
Post #7

rust free you say ?

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 16 2008, 04:48 PM) *

It took ALOT of effort from a group of people to get them to move from the old style email list (3k emails per month) to the forum.

Unfortunately the new forum is still managed by an older mentality...the full name thing is the rule...just how it is.

I joined, and was happy to see them finally move forward into this forum format...but I stopped posting a long time ago....its just repetitive.

Go in there and start a thread, introduce yourself, show the ferraris and 356's you have done...that is how to use it...the rest will take time...these guys only use certain products and only use certain vendors....at least the ones that post...there are alot more that just read and never post...guaranteed someone will use the paint you suggested if its cheaper...these guys love cheap.

I have to be in the right mood to log in there...and that has been a few months for me...just did it the other day...lasted about 10 minutes and logged off...

Rich

I guess I'm just too used to you jerks. I have noticed there are a couple different crowds with the 356 guys, the ones I'm used to locally would fit right in here. They are guys with money but they don't show it. One of them I have known for a while, I just re-did the hood on his Carrera Speedster, he and I go to lunch, have gone out drinking, gone to Summit point in his 911 and he could care less that I'm a freaking body guy. He's just a real down to earth guy that EARNED his money instead of having his family leave it to him, THAT is the kind of person I got into this line of work to deal with, unfortunately they are rare.

FWIW I'm in Va and have done everything from rotisserrie restorations to patch panel work. On my own I am trying to avoid the patch work and focus on the rotisserie jobs. The guys that want it done right no matter what the car is worth or what the job costs. One of my red flags is when a guy asks " what is the car worth ?" THAT guy doesn't give a damn about the car for what it is. He just wants an investment. Rant over
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Sep 16 2008, 07:02 PM
Post #8

rust free you say ?

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 16 2008, 04:53 PM) *

Dig out your 914 wheel flare thread and tell 'em it's also viable for 356 application. Stand back and watch...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boom.gif)

Personally, I blew the coffee out my nose when I first saw it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Good job!

Paul

Damn I had forgotten about that one. I crack myself up sometimes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=install
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 16 2008, 07:05 PM
Post #9

Custom Member

QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 16 2008, 09:00 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 16 2008, 04:48 PM) *

Rich

I guess I'm just too used to you jerks. I have noticed there are a couple different crowds with the 356 guys, the ones I'm used to locally would fit right in here. They are guys with money but they don't show it. One of them I have known for a while, I just re-did the hood on his Carrera Speedster, he and I go to lunch, have gone out drinking, gone to Summit point in his 911 and he could care less that I'm a freaking body guy. He's just a real down to earth guy that EARNED his money instead of having his family leave it to him, THAT is the kind of person I got into this line of work to deal with, unfortunately they are rare.

FWIW I'm in Va and have done everything from rotisserrie restorations to patch panel work. On my own I am trying to avoid the patch work and focus on the rotisserie jobs. The guys that want it done right no matter what the car is worth or what the job costs. One of my red flags is when a guy asks " what is the car worth ?" THAT guy doesn't give a damn about the car for what it is. He just wants an investment. Rant over

Just realise these types of people are to busy to spend time on a forum...
They do read it, so stay a good boy.

VA, hmmm. I think I know a guy down there who does what we do.
I will PM you.

Rich
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Sep 16 2008, 07:09 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 16 2008, 05:33 PM) *

Hey! Peter! Did anyone talk you about that TPS report?

Mmm-hhm. Yeah, well, can you just be sure to get your TPS report in? Thanks!

pete

+Quote Post
tronporsche
post Sep 16 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 9,447
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 16 2008, 04:53 PM) *

Paul
That sounds like it would be a fun link to read !.......So far , I have learned IMO, IMHO, and my .02. can someone please tell me what FWI........never mind, I just got it.....for what its worth !!! Any other initials used here someone can hip me to , besides FYI, and leave out the dirty ones, I could do without knowing those !!
+Quote Post
Wes V
post Sep 16 2008, 09:26 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 8,211

Scotty;

This string got me thinking about a situation that happened to me about 8 years ago. When I think back on it, I still get pissed off.

Here is the story;

As stated above, this was about 8 years ago and after reading about swapping Honda engines, I thought it would make a fun project. (now I don't fit the normal profile for somebody playing with Honda's)

In doing research on the internet, the web site that everybody was talking about was Hybrid Honda. Even the magazines talked about the site being a good source for information.

The forum there was limited and until you qualified, you couldn't post in the better sections. In order to "qualify", you had to post something like 10 questions in the beginner section and then wait for permission to get into the other sections.

So, I posted up the required amount of questions and waited. And waited some more.

I finally sent an e-mail to the administrator asking what was up.

Her response to me was that she had seen my questions and could tell that I was obviously a teenager from the south who only knew how to work on older cars like Chevy's. It was her feelings that the complexity of a car with fuel injection would be beyond me. As a result, there wouldn't really be anything I could contribute to their forum. I wasn't to be allowed in.

Boy did that send me steaming!!!

At the time, I was about 48, had a degree in Computer Science (worked designing military computers), a degree in Architectural Engineering, a California licensed Civil Engineer, was an Administrator and contributor to the "chevelles.com" and "Camaros.net" sites, and had written for Chevy High Performance. I live in Los Angeles.

I did finally get approved, but boy were there some hot conversations!!!!!

8 years and I'm still not over it.

Wes Vann
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Sep 16 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

You have to remember that the only thing crazier than a bunch of guys that obsess over 30 something year old cars is a bunch of folks that obsess over 50 year old cars!

An acquantance was in the auto electric rebuilding business, very good and knowledgeable German immigrant. He was working on rebuilding generators for 356s, and the most important thing was that the wire coatings (I believe he said they were cloth) were correct. Obviously, a bit out there, but that's why they're known as concours weenies!

We all have our obsessed fans, and I guess whatever floats your boat is OK as long as you allow me my enthusiastic pursuits as well. Personally, I've always like the R-Gruppe approach to 911s, enjoy them and do whatever makes them turn you on! I've always felt that sort of comraderie amongst this group as well.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 16 2008, 10:01 PM
Post #14

Custom Member

That sums it up nicely.

I think the question I asked that ended my patience was "can I put a 901 tranny in a 356"
the answer I got that was repeated many times....

No, it cant be done and its not worth it...I did it many years ago and its to much work.

This came from a guy who did ONE car...and does not know me nor what I can or cannot do with a saw and a welder...
He was then backed up by a whole slew of cronies...

No creativity, no imagination, no new members allowed...unless you bow down and kiss ass...

I dont kiss ass.

Rich
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 16 2008, 10:39 PM
Post #15

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I got hit (on the race track) by a 356 about 9 days ago
I don't like 356's any longer....

the drivers are a bunch of idiots
and I've seen this a few times with a few different 356 drivers (and different cars)

idjuts!

!

+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Sep 17 2008, 08:47 AM
Post #16

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

What do you all think will happen to the popularity of the 356 in about 20 years
time?

Most of the owners I know are 65+ and like to maintain some connection to their
early 20s through their cars. When these folks pass on, will there be enough people to support the $100K cabrio and $30K coupe prices you see now?

How many young Porsche guys (under 30) do you all know that want a 356?

John
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 17 2008, 09:05 AM
Post #17

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Sep 17 2008, 07:47 AM) *

John

Lots. Trust me, the enthusiasm for 356s will be there for a long time, even if it's just for the simplicity and the driving experience. Few things more pleasurable than a little touring in a speedster. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Sep 17 2008, 10:04 AM
Post #18

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 17 2008, 10:05 AM) *

John

Lots. Trust me, the enthusiasm for 356s will be there for a long time, even if it's just for the simplicity and the driving experience. Few things more pleasurable than a little touring in a speedster. The Cap'n

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I know a bunch that would. If I found a 356 project in my price range I'd most definitely sell my 914 for it.
+Quote Post
sww914
post Sep 17 2008, 10:57 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

When I met Mr Ruf here in San Luis Obispo, he told us that his favorite car to drive to work is his wife's pre-A 356. If she lets him.
I was surprised.
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Sep 17 2008, 06:34 PM
Post #20

Family

Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 17 2008, 07:05 AM) *

John

I disagree Cap'n. 356s aren't in the latest XBox or PS3 games. WRXes, Evos, S2000, etc.. are what they'll be after. Some will go for muscle cars because of GTA, but older classic sports cars are at the zenith. I can't think of anyone that thinks a MG TC or TF is cool. You know anyone in their 30s now that has a model A or T (non-bucket, all original)?

The 4Cam cars, the 550s, the factory racers will have their values high due to the rarity, but the regular production models have nowhere to go but down.

PLUS - remember that a lot of people that own classics now bought them with home equity loans. That alone will be a huge factor.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 04:34 PM