Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oil fuel Mixing & Smoking, '73 1.7 D-Jet. suddenly began smoking
ddelph
post Sep 18 2008, 04:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,973

Got a 1.7 '73. Don't know a lot about its engine rebuild history, but I've been toying with it for a number of years... The other day, I suddenly noticed a great deal of blue/whitish smoke at idle and at accelerartion. I also noticed that my oil level was way too high. I thought it may just be over filled and just needed to be drained out and burned off.

I drained off some of the oil, but noted the oil seemed thinned and has the smell of fuel mixed in. As I was running it, this oil (and fuel) mix was coming through the exaust pipes.

The engine runs well, but the smoke is not a good sign, not to mention the gas in the oi!!

Any thoughts??

DDelph
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Heeltoe914
post Sep 18 2008, 05:09 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,506

It would seem if this is a FI car you have and Injector (1 of 4)or your cold start injector stuck open. This is bad on the rings and the cylinders so don’t drive like this. Not to mention what this can do to your bearing. The problem is the moving parts within your motor are not getting proper lubrication; the thinned layer of oil is going to kill your protection layer that oil provides.
Do a pressure test and see what is stuck open or pull all the injectors/plugs and see which is stuck or sticking open.
I am sure other may have a little advice as well.
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Sep 18 2008, 05:09 PM
Post #3

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

if it's carb'd, it's a carb float that's stuck.

fuel overflows in bowl while running, gives a rich state while idling, and drains directly into combustion chamber, then by way of the rings, into crankcase.

don't run the engine in this state. your effective oil viscosity is probably 5W-0W.

carbs need overhaul and oil and filter need to be changed.
+Quote Post
ddelph
post Sep 18 2008, 07:32 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Sep 18 2008, 03:09 PM) *

if it's carb'd, it's a carb float that's stuck.

fuel overflows in bowl while running, gives a rich state while idling, and drains directly into combustion chamber, then by way of the rings, into crankcase.

don't run the engine in this state. your effective oil viscosity is probably 5W-0W.

carbs need overhaul and oil and filter need to be changed.

It's a fuel injected D-Jetronic.
+Quote Post
ddelph
post Sep 18 2008, 07:39 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Sep 18 2008, 03:09 PM) *

It would seem if this is a FI car you have and Injector (1 of 4)or your cold start injector stuck open. This is bad on the rings and the cylinders so don’t drive like this. Not to mention what this can do to your bearing. The problem is the moving parts within your motor are not getting proper lubrication; the thinned layer of oil is going to kill your protection layer that oil provides.
Do a pressure test and see what is stuck open or pull all the injectors/plugs and see which is stuck or sticking open.
I am sure other may have a little advice as well.

Yep, it's FI
I've never checked for stuck injectors before - that's a great thought and it makes sense.

Are there good ways of checking for stuck injectors that won't involve blowing myself up?? I suppose I should disconnect the coil pick an injector to pull out, and turn the engine over and find one that won't stop shooting. Am I close?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 09:23 AM