Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil fuel Mixing & Smoking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ddelph
Got a 1.7 '73. Don't know a lot about its engine rebuild history, but I've been toying with it for a number of years... The other day, I suddenly noticed a great deal of blue/whitish smoke at idle and at accelerartion. I also noticed that my oil level was way too high. I thought it may just be over filled and just needed to be drained out and burned off.

I drained off some of the oil, but noted the oil seemed thinned and has the smell of fuel mixed in. As I was running it, this oil (and fuel) mix was coming through the exaust pipes.

The engine runs well, but the smoke is not a good sign, not to mention the gas in the oi!!

Any thoughts??

DDelph
Heeltoe914
It would seem if this is a FI car you have and Injector (1 of 4)or your cold start injector stuck open. This is bad on the rings and the cylinders so don’t drive like this. Not to mention what this can do to your bearing. The problem is the moving parts within your motor are not getting proper lubrication; the thinned layer of oil is going to kill your protection layer that oil provides.
Do a pressure test and see what is stuck open or pull all the injectors/plugs and see which is stuck or sticking open.
I am sure other may have a little advice as well.
Dr. Roger
if it's carb'd, it's a carb float that's stuck.

fuel overflows in bowl while running, gives a rich state while idling, and drains directly into combustion chamber, then by way of the rings, into crankcase.

don't run the engine in this state. your effective oil viscosity is probably 5W-0W.

carbs need overhaul and oil and filter need to be changed.
ddelph
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Sep 18 2008, 03:09 PM) *

if it's carb'd, it's a carb float that's stuck.

fuel overflows in bowl while running, gives a rich state while idling, and drains directly into combustion chamber, then by way of the rings, into crankcase.

don't run the engine in this state. your effective oil viscosity is probably 5W-0W.

carbs need overhaul and oil and filter need to be changed.

It's a fuel injected D-Jetronic.
ddelph
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Sep 18 2008, 03:09 PM) *

It would seem if this is a FI car you have and Injector (1 of 4)or your cold start injector stuck open. This is bad on the rings and the cylinders so don’t drive like this. Not to mention what this can do to your bearing. The problem is the moving parts within your motor are not getting proper lubrication; the thinned layer of oil is going to kill your protection layer that oil provides.
Do a pressure test and see what is stuck open or pull all the injectors/plugs and see which is stuck or sticking open.
I am sure other may have a little advice as well.

Yep, it's FI
I've never checked for stuck injectors before - that's a great thought and it makes sense.

Are there good ways of checking for stuck injectors that won't involve blowing myself up?? I suppose I should disconnect the coil pick an injector to pull out, and turn the engine over and find one that won't stop shooting. Am I close?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.