Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> v8 Guys! How did my bumper turn out?, Finished my bumper. Added a pic of mine!
JRust
post Sep 21 2008, 09:43 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Okay so I did a search & looked at quite a few different topics. I saw some examples but they are spread between quite a few posts. So I was hoping I could get you v8 guys to put up some pics here.

Considering the bumper cutout to match the foglight grills & then Renegades valance. Not sold on that setup though. I'd kind of like to cutout the bottom of the bumper & tie whatever valance into the cut. While having a ram in the valance that matches the bumper width wise.

So please show me what you got (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Bumper radiator wise that is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Sep 21 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #2

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391

QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 21 2008, 08:43 PM) *

Okay so I did a search & looked at quite a few different topics. I saw some examples but they are spread between quite a few posts. So I was hoping I could get you v8 guys to put up some pics here.

Considering the bumper cutout to match the foglight grills & then Renegades valance. Not sold on that setup though. I'd kind of like to cutout the bottom of the bumper & tie whatever valance into the cut. While having a ram in the valance that matches the bumper width wise.

So please show me what you got (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Bumper radiator wise that is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

This is pretty..... remember intake size is less important than exit area.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 21 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #3

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

My favorite is one of our PNW guys, "jmmotorsports..." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 21 2008, 11:23 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

I have admired Jim's car for a long time. I do like the look of his. The other one above it was along the lines I was thinking. I do like Jim's setup a little better I think. Do you know where he got that valance. Looks like renegades but with the gt flared ends. I wonder who makes that one???
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Sep 21 2008, 11:45 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,138

Here was my last setup, Nothing fancy, I am running Renegades valence.
Please disregard the dork in the picture (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Sep 21 2008, 11:54 PM
Post #6

Here is the one I welded up for Carreraguy's amazing conversion. (picture blatantly stolen from Carreraguy)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 22 2008, 12:04 AM
Post #7

Cross Member

I love the cutout, ya dork. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) But where'd ya get the freakin' chicken wire!? The country grange? Need to put a nice grill in place of that poultry fencing! Haha.

Seriously, I love that cutout. Very nice rounded corners and flanges! Fuse it with a nice grill like Jim's and you'll have something spectacular.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Sep 22 2008, 12:25 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 21 2008, 11:04 PM) *

I love the cutout, ya dork. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) But where'd ya get the freakin' chicken wire!? The country grange? Need to put a nice grill in place of that poultry fencing! Haha.

I have to admit the chicken wire is a little ghetto, it is Renegade's standard treatment for the grill area mostly because it doesn't block much air flow.
I initially didn't plan on installing the wire, I even ran my car for a couple months without it but got tired of wincing every time a rock came near my $1000 radiator.
Don't worry, I am planning something along the line of Jim's grill for the Anklebiter.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 22 2008, 12:45 AM
Post #9

Cross Member

I have to say I am surprised Renegade used that stuff! I'd rather see expanded metal than something I'd be sticking my wiggling finger through waiting for the rabbit to come out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

I know you'll do something cool with the quality of your build Dana. Looking forward to that.

Jamie, anything like this with a more serious screen would look great. That bumper cutout is nice. Holesaw and smooth the corner cuts for a nice rounded finish.
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Sep 22 2008, 12:58 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 21 2008, 11:45 PM) *

I have to say I am surprised Renegade used that stuff! I'd rather see expanded metal than something I'd be sticking my wiggling finger through waiting for the rabbit to come out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

I think the main motivation behind using that stuff is the lack of airflow restriction. There are so many V8 cars out there that are really close to overheating, if you threw some nice perforated aluminum in the grill area it would push them over the edge, it's scary but true. Not to say that Renegade doesn't sell a good cooling system, but you do have to be really carefull about blocking airflow.
+Quote Post
marks914
post Sep 22 2008, 02:21 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,912

Heres mine. Simple, clean. Non restrictive

Mark

(IMG:http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/37579/2382821200057582025S600x600Q85.jpg)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 22 2008, 09:22 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Hey Mark I have to admit I am not a big fan of the 916 bumper. You have a very nice clean setup though. Almost change my mind (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Sep 22 2008, 10:04 AM
Post #13

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

pic

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
carreraguy
post Sep 22 2008, 03:45 PM
Post #14

It's not your dad's 914!

Member No.: 1,256
Region Association: Northern California

I agree; noticed that from the get-go and I'm finally in the process of replacing the chicken wire with a nice mesh I got from JWE as seen in the attached pic. I figure if its okay for the 935's, its okay for me!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Sep 22 2008, 03:51 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(carreraguy @ Sep 22 2008, 04:45 PM) *

I agree; noticed that from the get-go and I'm finally in the process of replacing the chicken wire with a nice mesh I got from JWE as seen in the attached pic. I figure if its okay for the 935's, its okay for me!

Do you have a pic of the inside of the fender well too???
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Sep 22 2008, 04:10 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

Here are a few pics -
Not my cars...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tronporsche
post Sep 22 2008, 04:11 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 9,447
Region Association: Central California

Here is the bad news. Take a look at everyones front bumper. What is missing ?? Yes, the lisence plate. I recently got pulled over for not having one too. European plates fit nicely on that little side lip on the bumper, but American plates are nice and tall , so they just about cover that entire air hole when you mount it to the center front. But if you don't mind getting pulled over and tickets for no front plate MOUNTED TO THE FRONT BUMPER than disregard this post.
+Quote Post
carreraguy
post Sep 22 2008, 04:33 PM
Post #18

It's not your dad's 914!

QUOTE(tronporsche @ Sep 22 2008, 03:11 PM) *

Here is the bad news. Take a look at everyones front bumper. What is missing ?? Yes, the lisence plate. I recently got pulled over for not having one too. European plates fit nicely on that little side lip on the bumper, but American plates are nice and tall , so they just about cover that entire air hole when you mount it to the center front. But if you don't mind getting pulled over and tickets for no front plate MOUNTED TO THE FRONT BUMPER than disregard this post.

Yep I've thought of that too.
In my experience the cops do not have the time/interest to stop for this (unless possibly as an subterfuge for stopping) and only the "meter maid" types ticket for no front plate. Thus I keep the front plate behind my seat and when I park and think I MAY be liable to be ticketed, I place it on the dash. In CA as long as its visible, it will work.
Of course, if I was stopped for speeding w/o a plate it MAY be another story. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
If I do get a "fixit ticket", not 100% sure what I would do under that scenario but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Likely just drill the holes, mount the plate, get the fixit ticket written off, remove the plate and cover the holes somehow.
+Quote Post
carreraguy
post Sep 22 2008, 04:36 PM
Post #19

It's not your dad's 914!

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Sep 22 2008, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(carreraguy @ Sep 22 2008, 04:45 PM) *

Do you have a pic of the inside of the fender well too???

I don't have one handy but I'll be glad to try to take one asap and PM it to you.
+Quote Post
tronporsche
post Sep 22 2008, 05:28 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 9,447
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(carreraguy @ Sep 22 2008, 02:33 PM) *

QUOTE(tronporsche @ Sep 22 2008, 03:11 PM) *

Yep I've thought of that too.
In my experience the cops do not have the time/interest to stop for this (unless possibly as an subterfuge for stopping) and only the "meter maid" types ticket for no front plate. Thus I keep the front plate behind my seat and when I park and think I MAY be liable to be ticketed, I place it on the dash. In CA as long as its visible, it will work.
Of course, if I was stopped for speeding w/o a plate it MAY be another story. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
If I do get a "fixit ticket", not 100% sure what I would do under that scenario but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Likely just drill the holes, mount the plate, get the fixit ticket written off, remove the plate and cover the holes somehow.
FYI.......if the highway patrol pulls you over, this can lead to other "exposures" that you may not be interested in dealing with ....like , the REFEREE, and "fix it" tickets in Cali. are no longer your ,$50 dollar "just write it off" solutions. Now, If I am correct, the fines get higher everytime you pay them a visit for the same violation leading up to them being able to keep your car. (I believe.) Being in a 914, I have only been stopped twice. One for the lisence plate, (which was really just an excuse to pull me over, obviously, beleive me...) and another time for stopping at the stop light, but not where a sign says "stop here" before a ndighborhood couldasac, and the motorcycle cop was hiding out, because he knows this confuses people. In both cases, the biggest interest was in the 914 itself, this tells me.......I will undoubtedly get pulled over again, for anything they can find, and probably even if there is no reason. So, I would put that front plate on, if I were you !!!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:20 PM